Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a new user but my old account Fastrack - has an email address that no longer exists and I can't remember the password for my account.

I have a custom built PVR using a Silicondust HDHomeRun tuners - It's been receiving HD channels since 2007. It's still working amazing :) The AC adapter died a few years ago but that's it

I also built a Gray-Hoverman DBGH antenna when those specs were released and it's still rocking as well!

In the Past ALL the channels from the CN Tower were 100% earlier this year or so CFTO-DT dropped to
Signal strength & Quality to 55% - Symbol is still 100%

Any idea? All the other DT channels from the CN Tower are still 100% for each .

The channel seems to work. Is the transmitter stronger for CFTO-DT? I do have a channel master 7777 pre-amp. Which improved the US stations.

Here's a link to my signal strength map:

Ben

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
CFTO is RF Channel 8 now, so 180 - 186 MHz.
I am not familiar with the FM radio Stations in Toronto, but one issue for "Quality" could be
the 2nd Harmonics of FM radio stations landing in CFTO's new spectrum?
Are there FM radio stations in Toronto in the range of 90 - 93 MHz?
Your only like 6 miles from the CN tower and would have to see through it to Rcv Buffalo stations.
But that doesn't explain a decrease in "Strength". Given the age of your antenna system, I would probably be checking the integrity of my Balun, Coax Jumpers, and Downlead.
Can you post a screenshot of your CFTO Signal/Quality Report...

·
Registered
27 Posts
CFTO is RF Channel 8 now, so 180 - 186 MHz.
I am not familiar with the FM radio Stations in Toronto, but one issue for "Quality" could be
the 2nd Harmonics of FM radio stations landing in CFTO's new spectrum?
Are there FM radio stations in Toronto in the range of 90 - 93 MHz?
Your only like 6 miles from the CN tower and would have to see through it to Rcv Buffalo stations.
But that doesn't explain a decrease in "Strength". Given the age of your antenna system, I would probably be checking the integrity of my Balun, Coax Jumpers, and Downlead.
Can you post a screenshot of your CFTO Signal/Quality Report...
Hey,

I managed to find the login to my original account. At least now people won't think I'm a Newbie.. hehe

Yes there is 92.5 broadcasting at 4700 watts. Transmitter is located on First Canadian Place which is basically just a little to the North East of the CN Tower. CKIS-FM - Wikipedia

I doubt I have cabling issues as all the other channels are perfectly fine - but who knows (I'm down a few US stations like WGRZ (Today it's pretty good)) and WUTV but those always drop in the summer (well spotty) as there are a lot of large trees in my neighborhood. I very rarely get WNED except in the winter.

Today is better! And it's raining.. go figure.. lol

I guess maybe it's what your describing. I just thought it was odd. Thanks for the help.

CFTO:

WGRZ:

Ben

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
here is why I asked...

You reported 55% strength / quality
55% of 33 dB -> 18 dB SNR
Now reporting:
87% of 33 dB-> 29 dB SNR

an 11 dB difference in SNR (quality).

So the question becomes what changed to degrade the quality...
The Signal 'Strength', or the Noise, IX, or both?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts