Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The wild card in the growth of TSN might be the fate of AM640, which has one more year left as the Maple Leafs broadcaster. While 640 insists it will fulfill the deal, sources suggest both TSN Radio 1050 and the Fan 590 could acquire the NHL team’s rights by start of the season next fall. Should the Fan 590 add the Leafs to the Raptors and Blue Jays, it could force TSN into some difficult program decisions.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...war/article2053883/singlepage/#articlecontent

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Per TSM, looks as if Watters is out at CFMJ

I have been told by reliable sources that the very end is near for the Watters show. In fact, multiple sources are telling me that Friday will be the last of the Bill Watters show with Arlene Bynon taking over on Monday, moving from her current mid-day slot.

Does this mean the end of Wilbur? No. Watters will be used as he should have been for, oh, I don’t know, the last couple of years anyways, as the Leafs voice on other shows across the Corus radio network. Look for him to appear on Oakley and other shows when there is Leafs news.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/bill-watters-show/10949

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
and it looks like we know who will be taking his place
Talk Radio AM640 is pleased to announce that award-winning Canadian journalist Arlene Bynon is the new afternoon drive host starting today. The Arlene Bynon Show can be heard weekdays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will provide listeners with an interactive forum for debate and discussion on topics that matter, feature exclusive interviews with today’s newsmakers and deliver a daily recap of current affairs.
http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/ArleneBynon/PressRelease.aspx

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One of the worst-kept secrets in sports radio finally came true this week with the cancellation of The Bill Watters Show on AM640 in Toronto. Watters’s three-hour afternoon slot is going to be filed by talk-show host Arlene Bynon, as AM 640 fully adopts the news talk format.
“The Leafs, however, are still a key part of our programming, and we'll be discussing Leaf-related issues, and breaking Leaf-related stories as they happen on all shows - as warranted.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...tm_source=Bruce Dowbiggin&utm_content=2103582

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

· Registered
160 Posts
So yesterday morning, I turn on Am980 in London at 9 like I usually do, and hear "Jeff Mcarthur is off this week." OK, summer vacation or whatever, fine. I'm driving in to Toronto last evening, and didn't want to listen to Raceline on 590, and the guy on 1010 wasn't talking about something I was interested in, so I flip to 640, as I haven't listened to them in a while. I'm thinking "Wow that voice is familiar" and sure enough, it was Jeff Mcarthur.

Struck me as weird they would take him off the air in London to use him in Toronto, especially, since he does the 5-9am show on 103.9 as well as the 9-11 talk show on 980. I wonder if this is sort of an audition for the big city for him, or if 640 was just in a bind for an evening host and Corus figured they could cover him off in London for the week. I'm also curious if he actually went to Toronto to host, or if he did it from Corus London.

· Registered
160 Posts
I guess you haven't listened in ages if you still call it mojo LOL.

Anyway, I posted on 980's facebook page, and they said it was just summer scheduling at 640, so they let Jeff come up for the week and try it out since he hasn't hosted in Toronto before. I did hear him make mention of walking from his hotel to Corus Quay, so I guess he is actually hosting it there and not from London.

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dennis Bayak is said to be bolting Toronto where he did some 50+ radio games on 640 Toronto
So, the Marlies and the Maple Leafs are in the market for radio voices.

I am also told this could be the end of Jim Ralph on Leafs games too. After losing his gig as the co-host for the now extinct Bill Watters Show, it seems like Ralphs days are also numbered.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/toron...g+(Toronto+Sports+Media)&utm_content=My+Yahoo
Brian Munz, who spent the last five seasons calling Manitoba Moose games for CJOB, will apparently share the play-by-play duties with Winnipegosis native Dennis Beyak on Sports Radio 1290.

According to a source, Beyak will do the play-by-play on the TSN regional television broadcasts, while Munz will call the same contests on the radio. When the Jets are being shown on national television, Beyak will move into the radio play-by-play chair.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/08/24/munz-beyak-tapped-as-jets-voices

· Registered
4,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Press Release today

(Toronto, Canada) Talk Radio AM640 and Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are pleased to announce that sportscaster Dan Dunleavy has joined the station's seasoned team of Toronto Maple Leaf sports experts, effective Monday, September 19, 2011. In his new role at AM640, Dunleavy will share play-by-play duties with Joe Bowen (including pre-season games), host all pre-game shows when the Maple Leafs are on home ice, as well as guest host on Leafs Breakfast .

“AM640 is pleased to bring Dan into our top-notch lineup of sports personalities,” said Gord Harris, Senior Program Director, Talk Radio AM640. “He joins our incredible team of Joe Bowen , Bill Watters , Jim Ralph and Andy Frost -- all experienced and respected veterans of Toronto Maple Leaf hockey coverage and established listener favourites. We look forward to hearing Dan and Jim call some of the most exciting hockey in the NHL.”

“We're excited to welcome Dan Dunleavy to the Toronto Maple Leafs broadcast team,” said Chris Hebb, Senior Vice-President of Broadcast and Content for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment. “Dan brings a wealth of hockey broadcast experience and knowledge with him. Hockey fans will be familiar with Dan's voice and passion for the sport through his work with the World Juniors Championships and Olympic Hockey medal round games at the 2010 Vancouver Games.”

Dan is one of the busiest sportscasters working today. A graduate of Niagara College, Dan has done play-by-play for the Buffalo Sabres and also got to call the bronze-medal game in men's hockey and the gold-medal game in women's hockey at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Dan has also done play-by-play for the World Junior Championships on the FAN Radio Network. In addition to hockey, he has done play-by-play work for the Toronto FC and the Toronto Rock.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.