Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this should be its own thread. The rumor is that 640 Toronto will announce at the start of next week when TSN Radio launches that they will be shutting down its sports division and subleasing the final year of its deal with MLSE for radio rights to the highest bidder. The question is, where will it land. If it goes to Fan 590, it may displace the Raptors. If it goes to TSN Radio 1050 it gives them a major building block.

Thoughts?

Also, per TSM
Second, and perhaps more importantly, the rumored desire of 640 Toronto to rid itself of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey games.

Think the last year has been busy? If half of what I am told comes to fruition between now and the 13th your heads will be spinning. Now this, everyone is talking as if the only thing that has kept the Leafs on Jonas’s station is the run the Leafs have been on. Now that the run is over, and TSN Radio is coming…. LOOKOUT!

By April 13th I am fully expecting to hear that the Leafs radio rights have been moved. I’m not a betting man but I’m liking 590 in the race. What happens as a result, let’s just the talk is BIG and far reaching.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/norm-rumack/10379

·
Registered
747 Posts
Does 640 own TSN 1050? This story only makes sense if 640 is in the same ownership as TSN 1050.

Or unless of course, ML Radio does not make them any ca$h and their trying to reduce its loses.

read ya l8r,
Al

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me try to rephrase it for people who haven't been keeping up on this...

Bell Media (formerly CHUM Radio) is relaunching CHUM-AM (1050 CHUM) as all sports starting April 13 (no more CP24 simulcast), which is direct head-to-head competition to CJCL (Fan 590 Toronto). The ongoing changes/tinkering with Fan 590's lineup as a result of TSN Radio 1050 being launched is being discussed at

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=135102
and
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=126246

As a result of TSN Radio launching, the word/rumor/train of thought is CFMJ (AM 640 Toronto) is going to drop it's sports programming (they already dropped Leafs lunch and the weekend Leafs show they were running, Marek left and went to CBC, Brady went to CJCL). That means The Bill Watters show will be gone, as well as the Leafs radio rights. Also lots of speculation that Bryan Hayes may be in play to jump ship to either CJCL or CHUM. So instead of trying to provide partial competition against two full time sports stations, they are just going to fully shift to a news/talk format and compete with CFRB 1010.

Now CFMJ's contract for MLSE for the the Leafs radio rights runs through the 2011/2012 season so it's rumored that they are looking to CJCL and CHUM and saying, who want's to pony up the most and buy/sub-lease the last year of the deal from us. Note that after the '11/'12 season, MLSE will have the lay of the land to choose who they want to partner up with, so even if CJCL or CHUM pony up for one year, they will need to negotiate with MLSE for subsequent years (although wisdom suggests they will probably have a window of exclusive negotiations). This is relevant since MLSE's majority interest being for sale from the Pension Fund and both Bell and Rogers are considered to be potential bidders.

Many are speculating that Rogers is going to make a big play to get the Leafs radio rights for CJCL, which they haven't had for more than a decade. BUT, they also control the Raptors and Jays radio rights, plus TFC, Bills, etc. So it will cause a logjam for sure unless they give up the Raptors.

The Star and The Globe have had articles penned in the last few months briefly discussing the matter, as has TSM. But looks like it is about to come to the forefront.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
How Valuable Are Leafs Radio Rights?

Are the Leafs radio rights still worth that much? With all the games now on TV in one way or another, how large is the radio audience anyway? Who listens to radio these days? Especially AM?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And it's offical... Hayes is gone per TSN...

TSN Radio 1050 continues to ramp up its radio lineup with the addition of Bryan Hayes, new host of a weekday sports talk show from 10am to Noon ET.
The first edition of his show airs Wednesday, April 13, the launch date of TSN Radio 1050.
Hayes joins TSN Radio 1050 from AM640, where he hosted two sports talk shows, interviewing major sports personalities from the NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, UFC, and NCAA.
http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=361377

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Wonder if Bowen, Bayak and Frost will have anything to say about this on their last broadcast of the season tomorrow night?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For years AM640 Toronto was plagued with an identity crisis. Having just one sports show in the middle of some unrelated news talk shows made little sense.
So Bryan Hayes tells the bosses at 640 that he is leaving the station. No this isn’t a joke, but it has a punch line never the less. What do they do? Ask or tell him that he needs to go on the air for the last 2 days of the week. Not that Bill Watters can do a show solo, but did it really matter that Watters is away? I mean, they couldn’t have found anyone else to host those two shows this week and let Hayes go? Watters, I am told, isn’t going to be back this week either. Who’s going to host next week? Won’t happen, but would love to see Jolly Jonas host.
http://torontosportsmedia.com/sports-and-toronto/wild-week-for-tsn-radio-fan-590-more/10405

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dennis and Jim hosted Monday. I only tuned in just after 800pm, so I assume this was a replay. I assumed it was some kind of Leafs season post mortem but I didn't listen for very long, as I tuned over to 1010.

edited to add: I just read the article and notice the time it was posted probably means it refers to him actually hosting on Monday. Wonder what the plan is for the rest of the week.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
AM 640 signal has a much better coverage thru out Ontario than 1050.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's because AM 1050 gets interference from WEPN 1050 in New York, although both are at the max 50kW. There is also WYBG for those in the northeast, but they reduce power in the evenings to reduce interference with CHUM and WEPN.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As reported last week, newcomer TSN Radio 1050 has lured 27-year-old Bryan Hayes from AM640 to host its 10-to-noon show starting today. In a field where promising young sports voices are rare these days in Canada, Hayes has shot to the top in a short time. He comes naturally by his radio chops.
BTW: Jim Ralph grabs Hayes’s old spot opposite Watters on AM640.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/bruce-dowbiggin/pressure-is-on-cherry/article1983382/page2/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts