Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an peculiar glitch:

I have tried no less than 4 SA8300hd/8000hd remotes on my system at home. Each one worked intermittently. IOW, it would work for 10 minutes then stop working for a few minutes. There was no pattern to it...it seemed random.

Because no one else reported this glitch I figured it must have something to do with interference in my family room. No other remotes (DVD/TV/VCR) were affected...just the SA one. I tried fiddling with motion sensor and fire alarm (which seems to have IR sensors)...nothing...I tried moving the STB and using the remote nearly point blank...again, nothing.. Then I finally tried turning off the compact fluorescent lighting...voila. For some reason, the CF lighting I was using generated some kind of intermittent interference. I replaced the bulbs with filament ones, and the problem was fixed.

Cheers,

Mike Flynn

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wow, I learned something new today! Very interesting, I pity the poor Rogers CSR trying to diagnose that problem!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to resuscitate a really old thread, but I just found the answer to this problem independently tonight, and I'm hoping this may save someone else some trouble.

I have a 8300HD which was working fine, till I bought some new gear: a HDMI -> DVI converter cable and a Harmony 360 Remote. And some new lamps.

My PVR randomly stopped responding around that time, so I blamed it on various things - the new remote, the HDMI cable, overloaded HDD, anything I could think of. I played with cables, reconfigured things, changed batteries, and then eventually just learned to live with it. It was an erratic enough problem that I just didn't get fed up enough to deal with, it till tonight.

Tonight being the night that I finally started flicking lights on and off.. So if anyone hasn't seen this thread before, and is having trouble getting their remote to function, and has just bought this lamp (or any other CF lamp), turn the lamp off and watch the remote work again.

I can't believe I wasted 7 months fighting with this thing, when the answer was buried here in the forums for over a year!

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
I assume the problem only manifested itself when the CF bulb was on, as this light appears to also have a halogen bulb, or are both always on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it's just the CF bulb - the halogen light or the overhead incandescent lights don't seem to affect it. Had I been paying more attention before, I would have realized that the problem rarely happened during the day - I only started figuring it out when I put the remote right up to the receiver, and realized I was casting a shadow at that point. A few light switches later and the problem was solved.

It's really obvious that it is the problem, too. I can be holding the 'up' button, doing the rapid channel title preview, flick on the light and watch it stop completely, flick off the light and have it start up immediately.

It's too bad, they're really nice lamps. At least I'll be able to use the Halogen reading lights when I'm using the PVR.

Now if only there was a way to easily filter out the frequencies that are causing the interference - I couldn't be that lucky, could I?

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
If you like the light, I believe that the interference is not caused by all CFs, just some of them (see posts above - whoops, links are dead). You should be able to find a CF that works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not to drag this thread out any longer than it needs to be, but the main reason I never noticed the lights before, is that it isn't consistant. Whenever the problem happens, turning the light off fixes it instantly, every time. But having the light on doesn't necessarily make the problem happen. It's only certain times, with certain conditions (which I couldn't guess) before it happens.

As someone else mentioned earlier, it's not so bad for me, but I pity the poor Rogers tech who has to troubleshoot this one. I was on hold for 1/2 an hour with them late one night, and got disconnected *just* as I was being transferred to the 2nd-level techs, and was too frustrated and tired to call back. I'm glad that happened, as I might have had to exchange the PVR (with a full HDD) for nothing!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
We have the SA8300SD, and have 4 CF lights in the room where the TV is and have not had any issues with the lights interfering with the remote or the PVR.

All of our CF lights are NOMA brand (9W and 13W)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts