Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a budget home theatre install and would like a wall mounted centre channel behind the tv.
Will any speaker work for a centre channel? Just looking for a clean look and we are happy with the tv speakers thus far. If I can get a better sound I will of course.
I am not looking for best sound, as this is in our living room and I have a theatre set up in the family room.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
wall mounted centre channel behind the tv.
The center channel is typically the most important speaker you purchase. I can't imagine placing one behind a TV - you wouldn't be able to hear the dialogue clearly because it would be all muffled. You may wish to go with a "phantom" center (none) with the dialogue coming out the LF & RF speakers - most AVRs can be set up this way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nuts.
I thought it didn't really matter if it was behind the tv.
even still could you use a left or right speaker (in wall type like a yamaha I saw at future shop or best buy) for a centre?
maybe I will mount it up high above the tv I have the room to do that.
I am fighting with brick at the height of the tv due to it being over a fireplace.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Also, the 3 front speakers should be timbre matched to ensure uniformity as the sound pans across the front sound field.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about a centre channel speaker mounted above the tv.
Maybe with a bracket that I could point down towards the seating of the living room?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My center is mounted on a wall bracket just above the T.V it is not angled down at all, points straight ahead sounds great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts