Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. I live in central Indiana and have been 100% OTA for over ten years. When the 2008 digital transition took place I became interested in antennas. All the surfing over the vast internet always seems to lead right back to digitalhome.ca. I have built four different GH mockups to try out and have had good results using older analog sets with converter boxes. Before shelling out hard fought cash for a newfangled squawk box I want to be sure I can get a decent signal. I'm planning to build a more permanently constructed Extended Hoverman using jedsoft.org dimensions for indoor use (height is not a problem) in a finished attic space. Thanks for the wealth of information in these threads. I am also open for suggestions.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Start with TVfool.com, see what you potential is then come back and read more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Central Indiana

I think this is my tvfool image. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dda320018ba1224 If I typed it right you can see that I could probably get by with a store bought indoor antenna but after becomming addicted to this forum I have decided to build another couple of antennas. I have tentavely chosen the X-GH8 and theGH6n3 WB. After measuring my attic ceiling, The X-GH8 will just be to tall so I will have to build it pretty enough for the living room or outdoors. The GH6n3 WB will fit any where. I havent phographed any of my previous mockups but will post photos of these if they turn out presentable. Any suggestions before I head out to the supply house?

·
Registered
551 Posts
ekragar: I would build the elements (zig-zag) of the GH and test it with out the reflector rods or NAROD. You may get away with this simple set up. The old GH gen.1, 7" diagonals with 5.6" stub should work for you.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I'm planning to build a more permanently constructed Extended Hoverman using jedsoft.org dimensions for indoor use
What in the world for ? That channel 36 WTWO-DT just isnt going to happen in the attic, except on tropo days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Central Indiana

The Gen 1 elements are what I am using now and they work fine. I have a singlebay on one tv and a dual bay on the other. The only stations I would ever watch are between 111 and 174 degrees magnetic anyway and they are not very far away so the old adage "because I can" seems to be appropriate in this case. Thank you all for the information.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I have a singlebay on one tv and a dual bay on the other. The only stations I would ever watch are between 111 and 174 degrees magnetic
I would guess the single bay is probably working as good or better than the double bay in your situation. The double bay, while having more gain, has less beam width.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts