Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 287 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Beers to drink all day like water, during lunch and dinner.

Hope I don't fall off the ladder tacking the wires.

The El president is good too light like Corona.

Good thing beer is cheap her no taxes on liquor, at my sister cost about $1.00 a beer.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks stampeder, I just stopped working getting hot now 84'F and sunny. ;)

On a heineken break since I don't smoke.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Yaamon....seems like you are "larging it up" out there mate ;) The weather is going to be crappy here tomorrow, and not to mention the price of petrol :rolleyes:

Keep the pics coming

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
They use SECAM-K

Here's a list of world analogue TV standards:

http://www.kropla.com/tv.htm

Most of the pro and semi-pro digital videography gear (handhelds, switchers, etc.) can now input/output both NTSC and PAL. A person living in range of both could probably rig up a TV watching solution with that kind of stuff. Although SECAM and PAL are close in some ways, they are incompatible in most and I'm not too familiar with gear that can input/output both NTSC and SECAM.

Old joke about SECAM: "Système électronique pour confondre les américains" :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
I am familiar with a slightly different version of the SECAM joke - Something Essentially Contrary to the American Method. The joke is technically accurate - the SECAM color system uses line sequential transmission of color difference signals on a frequency modulated carrier. NTSC uses simultaneous transmission of color difference signals using suppressed carrier phase and amplitude modulation.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not yet, went out today

Went to the resort where my sister has some businesses had to finish up some network stuff for her.

Will start the antenna job tomororw, that's if Iam not distracted.

·
Banned
308 Posts
No kidding....3 cars ended up in the ditch past Burlington today, on my way back from work. Am glad I got the snow tyres

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Some preinstall pictures and results

Assembled the antenna on thw balcony after dinner and wired it in the bedroom that Iam staying in as a test.

Get some channels from the US Virgin Island but no Fox and CW. Why ?? But I get lots of channels from Puerto Rico like Pbs and quite a bit of spanish ones. Even one that shows basebell 24hr.

Nbc from St Thomas no noise sorry bad picture.

Puerto Rico.

Ps: I have been checking on cp24 online and see there is a snow storm. Oh Nooooo....

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
PBS from Puerto Rico

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Safe to come back and its still cold and its below 20'C noooo. Its been a steady 30'C with low hudimity.

Hope the gas prices is coming down and the stations have gas to sell.

Guess I have to come back :( by mid week. Stoping in Miami for a day before.

Ok, I also installed the other antenna at my sister friend place. He has samsung 50" dlp with a atsc tuner bulit in.

Got no hd digital channels but got 4 digital channels with sub channels. Two was from San Jaun and two from St Thomas. From St. Thomas there was Pbs with 4 sub channels and other independent channel. The weird thing the main Pbs 12-1 was not hd but sd.

After closing looking a the stations and location, it look like most of the us comes from St Croix almost directly 30 miles south of St Thomas and beam the signal towards north.

My sister house is almost facing west and the south side is blocked by the mountains behind and to the side of her home. She is about 525' above sea level. Clear veiw to St Thomas and in line with San Jaun for lots of spanish channels.

The samsung was able to lock on to the two San Jaun spanish dt channels with a signal strength of 4 to 5 bars. The ones from St. Thomas was 10.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yaamon has given such great reports on his OTA efforts in the Virgin Islands that this thread is now for Reception Results in the Caribbean. If you have personal experience with OTA there please post your results. If you're on your way there and are going to try it out, let us know before and afterwards.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Map

Here is a map to give a idea where the islands are located.

The red dot is where her house is located.

A view of the house from across another moutain.

No wonder why I don't get the stations from St. Croix the mountain. From St. Croix reception covers all over Peurto Rico and even north end of Bvi.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yaamon drinking Jamaican Red Stripe beer... now I know where the "Yaa-Mon" comes from. It's actually a very good beer.

So... every-ting too iree mon? :p

21 - 40 of 287 Posts