Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 289 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Just guessing your amplified winegard FL/Amp works best in the direction where the Noise Floor is minimized on the desired channels (amplifier increases Signal and Noise), while your home-brew bi-quad works best in the direction where the signal is maximized on the desired channels.
Just aim it in the direction that requires the least or no amount of 'futzing with it' when changing channels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Down here in the Wilmington, NC area we are getting hit pretty hard by tropospheric effects.

I was wondering if there was a tool or lookup, that would show me what stations were using the same digital broadcast channel as a local one would be within say 500 miles or so.

My example for this is WFXB, virtual 43 is on 36 actual, and is getting blasted off air for me currently.

When the tropospheric effect is taking place like now, is it letting a distant channel 36 over ride the local 36?

Or is it 'blocking' the 36 broadcast towards my direction, or both? WFXB mentioned above is not a low power station, but is maybe 50 miles from my location.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Down here in the Wilmington, NC area we are getting hit pretty hard by tropospheric effects.

I was wondering if there was a tool or lookup, that would show me what stations were using the same digital broadcast channel as a local one would be within say 500 miles or so.
This might help:
RabbitEars.Info
or this:
RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks rabbit! rabbitears.info has a lot of information on it!

One more question regrading tropo effects..
I understand when the overpowering station would be nearly inline with the signal from the station being overridden that the distant station could overpower the close station.

IF the distant station is say 90 degrees off axis, is it still possible for it to overpower the local station?

Looks like atlanta has a 750kw station channel 36 that is close to inline with WFXB(1000 kw), and Greenville NC (Northeast of me) has a channel 36 that is 334 kw.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Difficult to predict. A lot depends upon your antenna pattern. You will need to identify the transmitter by program content. Sometimes the tuner menu will help.

I'm not a dedicated DXer; maybe one of them can give you tips.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
With a single beam Antenna, it's difficult like rabbit says...
However we can play tricks with antennas to make multibeam antennas, and place the interfering station in to a Null.
See example3, which is the reverse of what ur describing.
But quite often when tropo is really hot, and a distant station invades ur space it's all over the place...
All u can do is try... Much easier to play when you use an antenna rotor.
Here, I use a DB8e for UHF, with the balun circuit board flipped upside down on one of
the bays to create the Example 1 Pattern.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the info regarding stacking!
I am currently using an Antennacraft U4000 4 bay antenna, roughly oriented such that it favors the direction towards WFXB as opposed to the WWAY/WECT/WSFX antenna location. currently, I am losing about 5-10% of signal quality (bouncing between 80 to 90%) at the moment, while WFXB is giving me 50 to 65% signal quality with the current tropo conditions. When tropo conditions have gone away, I get WFXB around 90%.

I am using HDHR4-2US tuners to get the above information.

I am using the website http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html as a reference for tropospheric events.

Looks like this is just something I have to live with here in the Wilmington NC area.
If I get ambitious enough, I may set up something like an RCA ANT751 pointed towards WFXB only. However, I only use WFXB for their minor channels as I already get FOX on WSFX. They have 6 minor networks some of which I am interested in, and looks like they might be planning a 7th.

Note that I would not join them together if i did such... I would run the ANT751 as a separate lead to a tuner.

Regards!

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here just wanted to say Hi. My name is Roxanne I am an amature radio operater. I live in North Florida formerly from Buffalo, NY . I am trying to get some OTA channels here so I can cut the cable. It is kind of sparse here. Closest city is about 60 miles away. I am thinking about building a phased collinear array and put it up about 30 ft. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
@roxanne562001 : Your post was moved to this thread. Please read the following welcome thread, then post your TVFool or similar results in your next post.

281 - 289 of 289 Posts