Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Sony receiver (STR DE445) hooked up to a TV/PVR and the center channel will periodically just click off (audible click noise). If I turn off the receiver and turn it back on it will click back on and be good for a while. Sometimes though this will do nothing and a light tap on the receiver will turn it back on. Is there a short inside the receiver or something else perhaps happening?

Things I have tried so far without resolve:
Replaced the speaker wire to eliminate a possible short
Replaced the optical wire from the PVR to the receiver

This is not my area of expertise.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I feared as well. Its a lower end unit so repair costs would quickly get up to replacement cost. :(

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
You can keep tapping it until it no longer revives... ;) Unless you have warranty, or extended warranty through a premium credit card, etc.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna keep tapping it for a little while see what the holidays bring for a decent sale. Its well over 5 years old any warranty is long past gone.
It wouldn't bug me so much if it was on of the other channels but when the center goes you loose most of the dialog and its really noticeable.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Bad solder joints are a common cause of intermittent problems like this. It would be somewhere in the center channel circuitry. A decent tech might be able to do an easy fix but it would still be expensive if it has to be taken to a repair shop.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have to see if I can do that :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well as suggested I turned off the center channel. Will do that for now until I can get a new unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts