Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Samsung J3 phone in my hedge (its a big hedge), I dont quite know what to do with it. The battery is bulged and it wont turn on. Don't know how long it been in there ,but it was wet on the inside. Should I just toss it out or try to get a battery for it and try to use it? It looks to be in very good condition. Putting the sim into my phone reveals the call number, but little else , the carrier info is blank.
do you have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If there was that much water.. its quite possibly dead already.
May not be worth the time/effort, by getting the battery, etc.

The J series is their pretty much basic lines of phones.. not very overall powerful, etc.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
This is a low end phone with poor specs and poor reviews that was released in July 2018. It sells for under US$100 used so it's not even worth replacing the battery. Considering that it probably has other issues due to moisture, just recycle it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have found phones in the past. If they contain any type of SIM Card, I naturally without even thinking or contemplating check which carrier the SIM belongs to, and then head to the store which the sim card indicates. so for example Rogers sim = rogers store, wind sim card = freedom mobile store, telus = telus store, then kindly explain to the retail store agent I found a phone on the ground, and would like the store to do the rest of the work and contact the phone owner and notify them. Sometimes the owner may not want the phone back if its water damaged, but it gives them peace of mind knowing there are people out there who are honest and not crooks and will go the extra mile to do these things.

I do the same thing when I find wallets, passports, credit cards, etc. I go to the local police station in the municipality I am in, and notify them that I found such and such, and let the people whose job it is to notify the person. If you really need a Burner phone badly, ask a friend or family member if they have a old used one kicking around i'm sure they would prefer to give you one instead of you using one you found off the street. and remember, the one you found could also be blacklisted as we have a national blacklist maintained by all canadian wireless carriers, so even if it works now ,the owner may decide to blacklist it at a later time. not worth the risks and morally not right to do.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Was suggesting he may have found a burner phone, not that he use it as one!

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Is there such a thing as a burner phone in Canada? More likely it was a cheap PAYGO phone that someone either lost, stole or no longer wanted for some other reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts