Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this isn't posted in the proper forum, none of the others seemed to fit either.

I'm thinking of switching my landline from RHP to voip.ms. Looking at the (potential) savings, got me thinking if I could do something similar with my mobile phone.

My idea would be to use a smartphone with a data plan to connect to voip.ms directly (using a SIP app), with no voice plan at all. I see that Bell for instance has a $20/month data-only plan (aimed at tablets) that covers 500MB/month. Since my cell phone voice-only plan with Telus costs me about $55/month (I use my phone for work and use 600-900 weekday minutes/month) this would be over a 50% savings.

So I'm left with the following questions:
1) is there any way (in Canada) to get a smartphone with a data-only plan? (I see tablet data-only plans--can I purchase a tablet data-only SIM card and use it in a smartphone instead?)

2) would doing the above break some "unwritten" rule with the mobile phone company that would cause them to cancel my service?

3) Can I port my existing cell phone number (with Telus Mobility) to voip.ms?

4) would the data-only plan have similar enough coverage to the regular voice coverage (I live in Ajax, ON and mainly travel within the GTA)?

5) I don't believe that VoIP requires heavy bandwidth so would it still work in areas where 3G isn't available?

Thanks for any input into this idea.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
LTE and 4G phones are supposed to run VoIP instead of the old 2G GSM & CDMA. Also, new cell sites, such as Rogers LTE and Wind, are built to handle IP only these days. I haven't worked on other carriers networks, but I expect they'd be doing the same.

Later versions of Android can also run VoIP. Earlier versions need a separate VoIP app, such as 3CX Phone.

As for plans and such, I expect that would depend on the carrier. Why not call and ask. You'll also want 3G coverage, as the older 2G data systems will have bandwidth and latency issues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm doing exactly what you're looking to do. Mind, I only set it up about 3 days ago. I think I've used a total of 4 minutes of talking on my cell phone. LOL

I have a Torch with a 500MB data-only plan. My carrier is Rogers. Cost is $25 per month, plus tax. Mind you, I was still issued a phone number and they said that there is a $1/minute charge if I use the cell phone (non-VoIP). Texts: unlimited incoming. Outgoing costs $. Since I won't be texting, I did not ask how much texting costs, but it's likely 20-30 cents per outgoing text. They wanted to charge me an Activation fee of $35. I LOL'd and they said, "Ok, Mr. Customer, sir. We will give you a $35 credit on your first bill".

I use BlackVoib with my VoIP.ms sub-account DID. I have two VoIP.ms DIDs - one for home and one for the BB. BlackVoib does cost $30 though, after the 15-day trial period.

I have also used fgVoIP successfully with the same setup as BlackVoib. fgVoIP is only $20, but I think BlackVoib better.

Telus told me that in 1-2 months, they will have a data-only plan that is 100 MB for $10. With this post, http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1144558&postcount=1258, you can see that you'll need more than 100 MB. So you'll need the 500 MB plan, which I believe is also $25 through Telus.

I do own the Torch outright, so I'm not on a contract. If you need a SIM, try getting one from your local FreeCycle group. That's where I got my SIM card - for free!

Does that help at all?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just calculated. 1,000 minutes per month would require 650 MB of data using the highest quality codec in the link I posted above.

1000 min / 60 min/hr * 39 MB/hr = 650 MB

So the 500 MB plan won't work for you. You'd need a 1 GB or higher plan.

This is all contingent that VoIP.ms data on a smartphone works the same way as the conventional method of using VoIP.ms.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm just about finished testing the same thing with Telus and a Samsung Gio Android phone.

1) From what I can see in my Telus account, they have no way of knowing what you are using your SIM with. Jus tell them you have a "small" tablet.

2) I am no lawyer, but some people interpret the CRTC ruling as ordering the telecom companies to stop introducing jitter in voip services (Net Neutrality).

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-657.htm
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-445.htm

3) It should be easy to port. I didn't try myself but ported from Bell to Vonage then to VoIp.ms.

4) If your phone is CDMA, there could be a difference. If your phone has a SIM, no difference... I think.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/Canada/3Gplus.shtml

5) It uses about 500kb per minute... Very low. But doesn't Telus have only CDMA or 3G, nothing else?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 4 month 3G VoIP test driving, here are some ideas:

1. Use GSM, Speex or G.729 instead of G.711, G.711 uses about 80kb/s bandwidth, G.729 is only 30kb/s. Because 3G is not as stable as DSL or Cable and has higher latency, low bite rate codecs are better in term of audio quality, G.711 is very bad when bandwidth below 80kB/s.

2. VoIP as you major cell plan is not a good idea because of the sound quality and stability. Problems such like: battery drain,dropped calls, no sound(single way or both ways), server failure and bad sound quality prevent VoIP as your serious cell plan.

My configuration is:
Soft Phone: Sipdroid, Csipsimple, Gingerbread buildin VoIP client
VoIP Provider: Free Phone Line, Call with us, Voip.ms, Pbxes

So far, Sipdroid is the best, also it does not support G.729. If you provider support TCP registration, Sipdroid only consume 1% more battery per hour on standby, other soft phone will kill the battery in a few hours.

·
Registered
8,640 Posts
^^^^
Later versions of Android include a softphone, which prevents use of other softphones.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My configuration is:
Soft Phone: Sipdroid (others all had shortcomings, including cSipSimple and 3CXPhone).
VoIP Provider: Voip.ms + PBXes.org

CODEC: GSM (uses less data and less chances of delays or droped data). I tried G711 but can't hear any quality difference so I sticked with GSM.

I use PBXes.org as my connection between my cell and VoIP.ms. Using TCP instead of UDP keeps me connected all day. Almost no battery drain or data use. I created a trunk in PBXes.org to VoIP.ms + incoming route + outgoing route + extension. I use nothing else from PBXes.org. I set the number of seconds to 600 for voicemail: it never kicks in so VoIP.ms voicemail kicks in first. PBXes.org also lets you setup the Display Name for CallerId which is not available in SipDroid.

Delay is about 1/10 of a second from cell to home phone (on VoIp.ms).

My cell batteries last 3 days easily.

I have not used it long, but the few calls I made, had better quality than regular voice plan. I asked people at the other end, and they all said they tought I was on a home phone.

Data use: I cannot be very precise as my provider's usage data is confusing. But, it is roughly 500KB/minute. So, on a 100MB, $10 plan, you can talk about 200 minutes anytime, anywhere without long distance, with all features provided by VoIP.ms. On a 500MB, $20 plan, you can talk roughly 1000 minutes.

Any minutes not used saves you data you can use for Internet apps.

Keep in mind that 911 is always available on all phones even if you don't have a voice plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice setup DanTou. My config:
Soft Phone: Sipdroid (others all had shortcomings, including cSipSimple and 3CXPhone).
VoIP Provider: voip.ms DID forwarded to SIP URI @did.callwithus.com

Data only plan: Virgin Mobile flexi data tablet plan 250MB for $15/month

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, DanTou mention

"I use PBXes.org as my connection between my cell and VoIP.ms". Why do you do that, there's certainly a reason :confused:

Can you explain please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
voip.ms uses UDP protocols. Connection drops every minute or so. The phone tries to reconnect. It drains batteries and uses data.

pbxes.org uses TCP protocol. Connection doesn't drop. It doesn't drain batteries or use much data to stay connected.

For outgoing calls, you may use any SIP app connected directly with voip.ms. For incoming calls, it is better to use pbxes.org to stay connected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
After a few months trying Dell Voice, back to pbxes.org + voip.ms.

Can use all voip.ms features. Can show any caller ID I want. Uses half the data.

My configuration is changed:
VoIP Provider: Voip.ms + PBXes.org
Phone: Cheap Prepaid ($129) Sony Xperia Ray.

For people thinking there is built-in SIP software in Android 4.0...

What I understand is pbxes.org doesn't use a standard way of using the protocol. I can make calls, but I never found a way to receive them. My cell, pbxes.org and voip.ms all show green for connexion. If I can save you the time I lost trying to figure that out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just curious - how do you handle SMS in that case?

is it part of the data plan or something or...?

I am thinking of ditching Rogers for a while, since I will be in the States for at least 6 months and getting a data only plan down there (AT&T, Verizon, whatever) BUT porting my 416 number that I'd like to keep into voip.ms (had that number for like 15 years, don't wanna lose it now)... and I can conceptually understand how to set everything up, but the SMS... how would the incoming/outgoing SMS messages be handled in that case and which number would they go through?

·
Registered
338 Posts
No SMS with voip.ms.

But I believe there are apps that provide you a phone number for free unlimited SMS. The phone number is different than voip.ms but I see this as a benefit: you may not want everybody to know your phone number or your SMS number.

You can also add an option on a prepaid phone. Telus has options from $5 to $15 for SMS. But why use that when you can get it free. Of course, if you sent a lot of photos/videos, it may be cheaper to add a messaging option than using data.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, that's what I'm wondering... if I port my phone to voip.ms, use their system for incoming/outgoing calls on a SIM that I get for data only (pretending it's for a tablet), how do I add SMS on there? Or through what?

Anyone figured that one out?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Like I said, this is just an example. It was meant to give show some apps exist that do what you want.

For this app specifically, it has a rating of 4.2 and 60% of people give it 5 stars. 80% gave it 4 stars or more. Yes, for 20% of the people, this is not perfect and they will move on to something else.

If you want exactly what SMS does, you might as well add a prepaid option like I also suggested.

I also said I don't use SMS: I'm no expert. Just trying to help.

It looks like you found what you wanted. Good for you.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts