Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nexus 1in Toronto

Icon on top bar says 3G but how do I actually tell which network speed I am truly getting as an average transfer rate and what's the average transfer rate for 3G?

Just don't want to be put on an inferior connection when I am paying top $$$ for the monthly rate...

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
different HSPA devices support different speeds, you need to clarify what device you have otherwise we won;t be able to help u.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
^^^^
Of course, performance will also be dependent on location and network load.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I believe the Nexus One supports up to 7.2mbps HSDPA (download), but realistically the highest you would end up seeing is around 3mbps. Easiest way would be to see if there's a Speedtest app in the Android Marketplace, or going to m.speedtest.net should work as well.

As the others stated though, based on your location and network load, your network speeds will vary. The cell carriers don't "put you on an inferior connection" as say, DSL/Cable providers do, which is why data rate plans are based on capacity (MB used), not speed.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I have seen as high as 4.2Mbps down in my office with my N1 and the building I am in is known for it's bad reception.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am posting my latest iPhone 3GS speed test results. I get these speeds usually later at night times. Around 5-6 MB range.

During peak hours the speed ranges between 2-4MB on my 3GS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts