Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out Niles CM750FX. Great bang for the buck, but you will have to order them online or find a custom installation contractor that will sell you some. They actually have a pivoting woofer with dual tweeter pods that move with the woofer, I have used them in a few custom theater installs and they work great! Look into them.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Depending on where you are there are always sales on speakers. One of the chains in the Vancouver area has Polk, KEF, and Vector Research ceiling speakers on sale.

Do stores near you tend to have ceiling speakers set up for audition?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is that a sectional you'll have in there?

I would arrange seating differently. Can you use vertical on/in walls beside the TV screen to fire forward?

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are going to use In Ceilings for your fronts i would say its mandatory to have pivoting tweeters. I can't recommend anything that fits in your budget but looking at the room layout and size having an in ceiling that fires straight down would be a waste of time/money and effort.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased 5 for in wall use from htd a few months ago. The quality is fine and I enjoy the sound. They offered the best price for the features I could find at that time. Also easy to install. Just watch out the usual hit on inport - they use UPS and although they ship from Texas they are made in China so you will get hit with duty and brokerage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Monoprice for rear in-ceiling speakers?

Hi Im looking for some rear surround speakers (in ceiling) I prefer the round style, I guess these are more directional?

Can anyone recommend any from monoprice or should I just look elsewhere? (Canada/US)
http://www.**************/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10837
They seem to have decent reviews but not sure if the quality is any good?

room is fairly small, budget around $100 per speaker

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ceiling and In wall

Hey everybody.
I'm beginning to run my speaker wire and all.
5.1 set up.
Is it ok to have my Center, FL, FR in wall encompassing a 52" Panel, and have the BL and BR in a ceiling mount above our heads?
Effective?
Thanks
I'm looking forward to doing some good reading here on the forums.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Stupid Question

Can in-ceiling speakers be used in a wall?

What's the difference between in-ceiling and in-wall other than one's circular and the other is rectangular??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not sure but I would wonder if there was a structural issue in that the speaker is no longer having to worry about gravity below it. Now they need to deal with a side force. Completely speculative on my part though. No known metrics or experience.

·
Super Moderator
56,528 Posts
There may be another design consideration. In-wall speakers are usually designed acoustically for a cavity that is 4-6" deep, 14" wide, 8' tall. Ceilings would be deeper - typically 8-12", perhaps further apart, perhaps longer (or not).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here is a funny one for you based on the box size of the wall. I wasn't really happy with the sound of my JBL ceiling speakers, mounted in the ceiling with a silent floor so I put in a u shape cover of pink insulation that left about 4" of space around the speakers. The sound quality I found to be much better with less tinny sound and more rich all around including the bass. Nit what I expected but worth the try for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vector Research Speakers

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these Vector Research in ceiling speakers? I purchased some for $50.00 a pair at visions (50% off)but can't find any reviews on them.They are IC80 100 watts rms. Any reviews would be appreciated.. Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So you want a review (which is usually sought BEFORE purchasing), after you already bought em? Why don't you just MAKE one? :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts