Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I m working on my wiring right now and have several questions.

1.) Base on other posts that I have found I see recommendations to keep the left and right speakers driven by the identical length of cable. Wouldn't the balancing of speakers through the use of DVD Essentials not get past any problem that different lengths would produce and for in wall installation would you want to have so much extra wire looped up?

2.) If putting speakers in the wall or ceiling would you prefer in-wall or in-ceiling? Or would you strongly discourage both?

3.) And the final question relates to AWG size. My reading from one source is that for 8 Ohm spakers 16AWG is only good to 20' and that 12 AWG should be used for lengths that run up to 30' and 10 AWG for anything longer than that. I found another chart though that says 12 AWG is good for up to 60' at 8 Ohms. Which should I use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
233 Posts
1) If you can keep wire lengths similar, then do it. But I don't think our ears would be sensitive enough to notice the difference. Room EQ tools MAY be able to compensate for different lengths of wires. The physics of sounds would include the time characteristics of sound waves. Some are more sensitive to it than others.

2) Wall or ceiling - for HT use, fronts should be in-wall, surrounds can be in-ceiling. If you're going to listen to lots of music and you have the space to use cabinet speakers, that would be better. Try to keep the horizontal level of the tweeters of the LCR speakers as similar as possible. If center is below or above the TV, point (up or down) the C speaker towards the listening area.

3) Wire size - I have 12 gauge fronts and 16 gauge (bi-wire) surrounds. I would go no smaller than 14 gauge fronts and 16 gauge surrounds.

Good luck. Post a message and some pics on the HT setup section once you're done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thing look good then...

Off to MonoPrice for some replacement wire then. :)

The speakers is going to e a fun part and I think I will run some extra options in order to balance out the configuration. Namely this is a fairly large room that will be a theatre area at one and and a games area including pool table and 7' air hockey at the other. The balance then is for movies in one mode and music in another. Finding the right receiver could be the biggest trick.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I used 12 ga. for fronts and Subs and 14 for rear and surround. The thinking at the time was surrounds aren't as important.
Thinking about it since, the longer runs are the rears @ 40 ft, surrounds @ 35 ft.
I should have used 12 ga. on the long runs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you're going to buy a receiver instead of separates, buy a receiver with pre-outs so you can add a power amp later. This would definitely improve sound quality especially for music. Depending on your budget, for a price of an expensive receiver, you may be able to buy a separate pre-pro and power amp from companies like Emotiva, Outlaw audio, etc.

Would I use 12 gauge for surrounds? Probably under two conditions: if I have enough spare cash and if I listen to a lot of SACD/DVD-A. I can see these conditions after sending junior to college and when I'm retired. Not that far off, mind you.:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used 14awg throughout the house for runs up to 60 ft (8 ohm speakers) for whole house audio They sound great. If in doubt, spend a few more $ and just buy 12awg.

All my speakers are in-ceiling as these are not intended for surround sound or anything, just casual listenining. I would use in-wall only for surround sound system where precise placement of speakers matters more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ceiling Speakers

I am building and down to the money crunch stage :(. I do want to install speakers in 3 rooms for future use, so know that I will spend my $$ on them. I don't have space for freestanding speakers, so want to install good ones in the ceiling.

This is the rough in:

Acoustically hard environment (finished concrete floors, stone fireplace, etc)
9 feet ceilings

Living room/ dining room (22 x 29 feet area) - 4 speakers
Bath (56 sq feet) - 2 speakers
TV room - (about 150 sq feet and set up for home theater) - 2 speakers with possible centre channel.
Sound bar for TV in bedroom (looking for brand advice here--can add later)

I have a HT receiver and projector that I will use for now, but do want to install a screen that is flush with the ceiling (not necessarily motorized). Any ideas?

I also have a pair of Polk Monitor 10s from the 1970's....could I use these in the home theater space?

I've had a quote from an installer for Sonance CR101s, but know nothing of the brand. I am partial to Polk, but have no idea how good they are these days.

Any advice?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
This past summer I installed in-wall and in-ceiling speakers (11 speakers total) for the purposes of whole-house audio and a home theater room. I could go into detail, but I did that in another post a few months ago.

Some tips based on my experiences:

• Monoprice sells excellent in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. They are also very affordable. This is especially relevant if you are on a budget.
  • In-wall speakers sound better than in-ceiling speakers (in general).
  • Before you buy, figure out what you want to do as far as in-ceiling speaker placement, and whether you want to use two speakers as a stereo pair or if you want to use dual voice coil speakers (two channels from a single speaker).
  • Polk Audio makes a great DIY guide for installing in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. Check it out.

Edit: here is a link to the Polk DIY guide: http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/DIYTutorial.pdf

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
Monoprice sells excellent in-wall and in-ceiling speakers. They are also very affordable.
+1. Not long ago, I recommended a pair of Monoprice(.com) in-wall/-ceiling speakers (I believe they were product ID #4104) to a former colleague who was finishing his basement. He was happy with the price, and he's been very happy with their performance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you both! I had not heard of Monoprice. I know that in-walls perform better, and am inclined to switch to them for the dining room.

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your just using these speakers for music throughout your home then don't worry about in-wall vs in-cieling go with what works Astheticaly.

If its for Home theater use thats different.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I decided to buy and get the builder to install some speakers. But I'll be buying from HTD shortly. I've been waiting for the new advanced model which should be shipping really soon - I'm hoping to get it in a couple of weeks.

I'm guessing that the HTD price will beat the Sonance by quite a bit. I've received quotes from I think four or five dealers of various brands including Sonance, Russound, Nuvo, and Control4.

MDW says she really enjoys the music in the kitchen.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In-Wall/In-Ceiling Speakers

What kind of quality do you typically get out of an in-ceiling speaker? I am thinking about going with a 15 degree in-ceiling speaker for my rear speakers. I already have a set of Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II for fronts, and CS2 center.

I am going to be using the system for movies, video games, music etc.. Basically a full range of things.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussed many times so I would search the forum for feedback.

In wall/ceiling speakers are about the aesthetic. If sound quality and speaker positioning for home theatre surround is paramount then re-consider standalones.

Like standalone speakers, ceiling speakers range from the incredibly cheap to the obscenely overpriced. My advice would be to audition the speakers, look for sales and be prepared to pay a premium for good quality in wall speakers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thanks Hugh, thats what I was looking for.

I figured as much, but wondered if the quality of rears would be heard as much as say fronts, or center. I have the room for a standalone rear, so I might just do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Advice on ceiling speakers

Hello,

Looking to setup a 5.1 home theatre in my family room.

I would like to use ceiling speakers as the rears, as this was how the room was initially wired. Currently looking at Polk Audio RC80i. Any other suggestions? Also looking to use bookshelf for the fronts becuase of space limitations.

Any advice would be appreciated. The room is 15 feet by 15 feet with a 10 foot high ceiling.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Lots of threads discussing recommendations for ceiling and wall speakers. I recommend searching

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Ceiling Speakers - Setup/Angle/Model Recommendations

Hey Guys,

So I purchased a new place, and based on my family room layout it looks like I will be forced to go with ceiling speakers for everything but my center.

I plan to have th TV above the fireplace with and in wall center below. However because of my windows it will be tough to get my fronts in wall as well (Plus the wife is not a fan of have speakers wires running outside).

I have attached my proposed layout (red circles indicate where I plan to put the in ceiling speakers, and the grey is for the sitting area).

Any recommendations on some decent speakers - looking for a 5.1 setup. I already have a Polk Audio Subwoofer from my RM6750 package. I am looking to spend up to $500 for 4 additional in ceiling speakers and 1 in wall center. I understand that any decent speaker should come with an adjustable tweeter (usually 15 degrees) - would this be enough for my setup?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts