Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who What When Where are they? Do we have any besids NHL,CFL and the odd news show like W5. Showcase had a couple (T.P.B and KvS) now what they got?

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
CBC has Little Mosque On The Prairie, Heartland, Dragons Den, 18 to Life, Republic of Doyle, Insecurity, Village On A Diet and the rest are sports, news or comedy.
http://www.cbc.ca/programguide/weekly/today/cbc_television

CTV has news and etalk, Dan For Mayor, Hiccups and So You Think You Can Dance Canada
http://shows.ctv.ca/

Global has news and ET Canada

Showcase also has Rent A Goalie and Billable Hours

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
On Discovery Channel Canada, they have Daily Planet, Canada's Worst Driver, Canada's Worst Handyman, and Mayday which is about airline crashes and their investigations (high quality and very accurate).

Aside from Daily Planet, I watch all the other ones from Discovery Channel Canada's Web site (I don't have cable). They're made available a week after their television broadcast.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not a lot is it after many years of the CRTC threatening licence renewals over lack of Canadian drama type content.

The Food Network Canada and HGTV also have real Canadian shows.
French Food at Home, Chef at Home and The Big Flip come to mind as shows not only Canadian but with all Canadian casts. Of course these are not drama but reality/instructional so maybe they don't count at all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rent a Goalie is still in production? I thought they had finished their run a few years back.

Also, you forgot probably the most successful Canadian Show still in production, Flashpoint. As it seems to be a summer replacement show, it isn't airing on CTV at the moment, but it is still in production.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shootmaster...season 3 just wrapped up on CTV Sunday night after the Superbowl. It had an awesome cliffhanger ending and said to be continued this summer.

Also, isn't Rookie Blue a Canadian show?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just remembered. If you're bilingual, you have a wide choice of French Canadian shows too numerous to list, with many of them achieving ratings of over a million viewers in a market of only seven million people.

·
Registered
751 Posts
"The Listener", which is now in Flashpoint's time slot, is Canadian.
Also, "The Nature of Things".
Finished for the season, but there's "Being Erica" and "Men with Brooms".

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
How It Is Made is Canadian, as are some other Discovery and History Channel programs. One of the civil engineering shows was Canadian produced.

HGTV (and I think Food), have quite a few Canadian produced shows.
On HGTV at least, there is Holmes On Holmes and Holmes Inspection, Property Virgins (it and Holmes are in the US HGTV channel), Rent Me (like Property Virgins, but covers rentals, and Toronto based), Handyman Superstar Challenge, and Real Renos.

Rookie Blue is at least shot in Toronto. Last year, there was one about an EMT that could stop time or read minds or something. It was shot in Toronto, and a joint CTV/US network project. Both shows never really hid their Toronto/Canadian-ness.

·
Super Moderator
17,220 Posts
Here are a few more that come to mind:

CBC - Rick Mercer Report
MuchMusic - Degrassi: The Next Generation
CityTV - Murdoch Mysteries
Showcase - Lost Girl
CTV - The Bridge (I'm not sure if it's coming back)

I think all the rest are still in production.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Lets not forget the Marilyn Denis which is filling two hours daily on CTV/A. Unfortunately the show has turned into a promo for CTV and E Talk.....what a load of cross promotion.

·
Registered
384 Posts
No matter what original Canadian show you like you know that it going to get rerun, rerun and rerun all the time just to fill in the cancon quotas!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The list of shows produced in Canada is much more 'impressive' than the current Canadian shows produced in Canada.

A couple more current Canada/Canada ones are: Call Me Fitz, Haven.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It's not necessarily all crap. But unfortunately, the proportion of English Canadian crap over non-crap is so huge that even when a Canadian show is said to be very good, English Canadians are still very hesitant to watch it at all because they've already wasted enough time in their lives just trying to watch the crappy shows.

This is why I'm expanding my TV channel to the production field, not to produce Canadian shows, but to produce good shows that people would actually want to watch. If the shows are too heavily seen as being Canadian, I'm afraid that no one, either Canadian or otherwise, would want to watch them because of the huge negative marketing impact attached to the "Canadian" brand.

French Canadian television has its own problems, namely that the shows have been rather dull during the last few years, with many of them following an "American" style of presentation.

In other words, I don't care how popular "Le Banquier" might be in the ratings! I'm already fed up with the American version of "Deal or No Deal!" Changing the language and background culture won't help!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts