Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Paramount+ in Canada (formerly CBS All Access)

Tags
cbs
117K views 542 replies 59 participants last post by  noah12 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#146 ·
'The Twilight Zone' Canceled at CBS All Access (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

The Twilight Zone will not return on CBS All Access when it is rebranded next month as Paramount+.

The anthology from exec producers Jordan Peele and Simon Kinberg has been canceled after a two-season run on the ViacomCBS-backed platform. Sources say Peele and Kinberg's companies were both ready to walk away from the series though CBS All Access/Paramount+ wanted the series to continue.

#147 ·
Here are direct excerpts from the International Rollout section of the Press Release. I've added some bolding and omitted portions specific to Latin America, etc. There aren't any other specific details for content in Canada. It's unlikely that SHOWTIME will be on Paramount+ in Canada and it looks like they are open to licensing the new originals to other providers.

Paramount+ will debut internationally in 18 Latin American countries and Canada on March 4, 2021, the Nordics on March 25, 2021 and Australia with a rebrand and expansion of 10 All Access later this year, with additional markets to follow.

In select international markets, Paramount+ will offer audiences exclusive originals that include The Man Who Fell to Earth, Mayor of Kingstown, Guilty Party, Halo and The Offer, among others, an expansive content library of over 5,000 hours of iconic ViacomCBS IP and hit franchises across genres and a premium user experience. For most international subscribers, Paramount+ will also be the home to SHOWTIME and feature celebrated series Dexter, Ray Donovan, The Affair, Your Honor, The Comey Rule and Escape at Dannemora. And importantly, like in the U.S., internationally Paramount+ will offer some of the biggest kids franchises in the world, including SpongeBob SquarePants, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dora the Explorer and PAW Patrol – in addition to the highly anticipated Kamp Koral and Nickelodeon Animation Studio’s The Astronauts.

Subscription pricing will vary slightly by market, but Paramount+ will be available to international audiences at a compelling price point.

Internationally, Paramount+ will be available online at ParamountPlus.com, via the Paramount+ app for iOS and Android, and across a number of connected TV devices and OTT platforms.

----

Other notes: Pluto TV will continue to be a separate free service.

Paramount+ will have two pricing tiers for U.S. subscribers. Both Paramount+ tiers will feature a seamless user interface, enhanced curation and discovery, personalized homepages, content categories and central hubs for ViacomCBS’ brands. Additionally, each subscription option will include parental control capabilities and up to six individual profiles.

The premium tier, at $9.99, will include live sports, around-the-clock news programming, Paramount+ originals and an expansive suite of current and library shows and movies. The offering will include CBS’ live linear feed and commercial-free on demand viewing, with 4k, HDR and Dolby Vision, mobile downloads and cross-platform dynamic play functionality.

An ad-supported tier will launch in June for $4.99 and offer the best in sports, news and entertainment. At that time, the current $5.99 plan will no longer be available for new users, but existing users will maintain grandfathered access. The ad-supported tier will feature a compelling offering of exciting Paramount+ originals, marquee sports content including live championship-level soccer and live NFL games, breaking news through CBSN and an extraordinary collection of content, including the full suite of current and library CBS shows available on demand.

My guess is that Canadian prices will be lower since live sports won't be included

#148 ·
It's unlikely that SHOWTIME will be on Paramount+ in Canada and it looks like they are open to licensing the new originals to other providers.
I agree. Bell has an agreement with Showtime to carry their original programming on Crave movie channels and the Crave streaming service. Don't know the details about how long it will last and whether it's exclusive.

#151 ·
Anybody subscribes to Paramount+ Canada? I am wondering if Evil is carried here. In the United States the series was moved from CBS to Paramount+ and the second season premiered last Sunday. In Canada, the first season was on Global but there is no indication that Global / Corus, or anybody else for that matter, will carry the second season.

So my question is whether the second season of Evil is available on Paramount+ in Canada.

#157 ·
Paramount+ today announced that its hit original series, EVIL, was renewed for a third season. "EVIL is produced by CBS Studios....The series is distributed worldwide by ViacomCBS Global Distribution Group." (Paramount+ Press Release)

That last sentence sounds like they won't be adding Evil to the international versions of Paramount+. They will either license it to local TV providers or do a worldwide deal like they did with Netflix and the Star Trek franchise (except Canada.)

#159 ·
I did some Googling around yesterday and found a confirmation from support that a bunch of the streaming licences had expired at the end of July. I read they've added some of their movie library to the Canadian site.

I also stumbled across a job posting for the Toronto office. With a little further research, I found they posted the following positions for the Toronto Location over the last month.
  • Director, Content Programming & Strategy - Paramount+ (Lead the creation and execution of the Canadian content strategy using ViacomCBS content assets, global acquisitions, international originals, and local original productions.)
  • Manager, Content & Programming Strategy - Paramount+
  • Senior Director User Acquisition, Engagement & Growth Canada (Marketing) - reach subscription acquisition goals for streaming platforms.
  • Sr Manager, Brand, Service & Editorial Marketing
So, it sounds like they plan to get serious with the Canadian operation. Of course, HQ will set the budget of how much money they will be able to lose every year. :)

It seems they will probably be more focused on streaming with the recent announcement that by the end of 2021, ViacomCBS will have launched Paramount+ in 25 markets, ramping to 45 markets by the end of 2022.

----

Infinite, starring Mark Wahlberg and Chiwetel Ejiofor will become available on Paramount+ in Canada, Latin America, the Nordics and Australia on Aug. 11. (Paramount+ Takes ‘Infinite’ for International Markets)

The new iCARLY series has been renewed for a second season in all markets the service is available, including the U.S., Australia, Canada, Latin America and the Nordics. New episodes of the 13-episode first season will continue on Thursdays exclusively for Paramount+ subscribers, including Canada. (Paramount+)

Madonna’s documentary film, MADAME X, will exclusively debut on Paramount+ in the U.S., Latin America, Australia, the Nordics and Canada beginning on Friday, October 8. (Paramount+)

#163 ·
Streaming services are essentially pick and pay. I'll pick one or two main services that produce lots of content and supplement that with another service for a month or two, then another for month or two. As it is now, I have to pay way too much ($100+) for a conventional TV service and supplement that with two or three "lite" streaming services. That's the real fool's game since almost none of those provide full value in Canada. The main exceptions seem to be Netflix and Disney+ that have mostly their own, exclusive content which never gets licensed to Canadian broadcasters. Prime Video is a bit of an exception due to the other services included. All the other streaming services license most of their new desirable content to Canadian broadcasters who then charge a 1000% markup.

#164 ·
Pretty much what ExDilbert says ... though I also have BritBox, DAZN, and OneSoccer which all have unique content. And am considering the Apple service, now that they are getting more new shows, that seem to be "must see" TV.

I passed on CBS - and their content seems to have gone downhill since then. And I've dumped Crave, whose content is diminishing.

Though don't underrate the Roku channel. The content is improving, it's free, and the ads are minimal - if I only had a couple of 60 second to 90 second interruptions in a show, I wouldn't bother fast forwarding regular TV! I watched Dectorists there recently.

#166 ·
Bill Brioux has confirmed that SEAL Team will be available exclusively on Paramount+ Canada effective with episode 5 that streamed last night.

----

Paramount+ announced two new original South Park exclusive events that will also be available internationally, including Canada. South Park: Post COVID premieres Thursday, Nov. 25 and the second event will stream in December, the date to be announced.

#167 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bill Brioux has confirmed that SEAL Team will be available exclusively on Paramount+ Canada effective with episode 5 that streamed last night.
I don't object to CBS moving a series from their network to their new streaming service at the start of the series' new season. That's just business. CBS can put it on whatever platform it chooses. However I do object to this latest example of TV bait and switch. Showing the first four episodes of a new season on regular TV thereby getting millions hooked on a popular series and then transferring the rest of the series over to its nascent streaming service in the hopes of dragging the viewers over with it is slap in the face to its viewers. No doubt many fans will make the switch if only to keep up with the series star but I won't be one of them. I'm done with this programme even if it were to return to CBS.

Edit by 57 - Quote Syntax Corrected.

#168 ·
IMO, CBS can do that in the United States as Paramount+ there is actually a decent service. Star Trek, The Good Fight, The Twilight Zone, Why Women Kill, are examples of decent Paramount+ original shows. The problem here in Canada is that most of Paramount+ headliners are already aired by various channels. That makes Paramount+ in Canada virtually empty and filled mostly by reruns. There is very little value for Canadian viewers to subscribe to Paramount+.

#170 ·
I put the blame for Seal Team mainly on Corus. At least in the U.S., the plan was clear in May. I read a lot of articles, trying to find out what as happening in Canada. The comments sections were full of complaints, especially from vets that had watched the show from the beginning, but refused to subscribe to P+.

Corus just said they had picked up the new season for Global, with no mention of what would happen after the fourth episode. Since they had picked up other P+ originals for their specialty channels, there was justification to believe they might have picked up the full season.

#179 ·
So I believe SEAL Team and iCarly are the only scripted shows on Paramount+ in Canada not available elsewhere? I am still looking for season 2 of Evil. It seems like it is nowhere to be found. I just got this free subscription from McDonald's, I guess I can use it to finish this season of SEAL Team and maybe I can use VPN to watch Evil. After that, I am done with those shows.

#180 ·
Moving Seal Team to Paramount+ may backfire for CBS. The show was almost cancelled due to low ratings but, according to a recent poll, the move is alienating many of the viewers it has with about half saying they won't watch it on Paramount+. It's looking like Paramount+ in Canada is just a dumping ground for shows CBS can't sell to Canadian broadcasters.