Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The CBC is looking for input on it's Five Year strategy.

This is a great way to not only voice concerns on the Digital Transition for some stations, but the lack of local programing on both radio/tv in centers such as London. If some stations don't transition in 2011, maybe this will cause them to take a look into a future transition for some areas.

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/strategy2015/

·
Registered
469 Posts
I sent them (and also Hubert directly) those very concerns weeks ago, but haven't heard back yet :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
Looks like they still want to be everything to everybody, which means they will of no interest to anyone. It's the same path they have been walking for years. I thought calling it a "5 Year Plan" was an unfortunate coincidence. Appears to be intentional

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Not much change....the organization remains elitist and self-serving and despite its push to the new media not in tune with current attitudes towards public broadcasters. A broadcasting act from many years ago just does not cut it in this century.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I found it interesting that the CBC is bragging about having 12 services. I'll bet most Canadians couldn't name more than 6. It's no wonder their budget is inadequate and the programming is dismal.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The CBC has no money yet they can afford to move all cbc radio one stations to the FM band.It took 12 FM repeaters to replace 1 AM transmitter in Southern Ontario and now they need another in Hamilton.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
That one AM transmitter did not cover all of Southern Ontario. It basically just did the GTA and nearby communities. While more distant listeners could pick up the signal, it was not clear or easy to listen to for any length of time. I doubt people near Windsor could receive it at all. I do agree that the CBC has too many repeaters though. Maybe it's cheaper to operate many low power repeaters than a few high powered stations. OTOH, some of them are not low power and it's hurting them now that they need to do upgrades.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That 1 transmitter covered easily covered a 100 mile radius and is receivable 200 mile radius.CBC could have used a low power fm transmitter downtown TO.Funny how 680 news and CFRB dont need to be on the FM band.Some of those 12 repeaters are niagara,kitchener,shelbourne,orillia,peterboro.All were easily served by that 1 AM outlet.Their Toronto outlet is at 98kw twice the power of their old AM outlet.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Windsor had its own AM transmitter, which recently went to FM

When CBC Toronto was on AM740, it had pretty good coverage, because AM740 is a Clear Channel frequency, which no other station in the region uses at all. I received it well up here, although preferred the Wiarton, then Wingham FM transmitters.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The reference to Hamilton is a separate issue, that of having a RADIO 1 station that provides info specific to Hamilton, Niagara and Brantford areas.

I think HD Radio can help here... :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
New Feedback Form

On the main site I think the added a new form for "Online Consulation." Its a survey, so you can tell them what you think.

·
Registered
416 Posts
CBC should take advantage of the new OTA digital medium

I filled out the survey and pointed out that in most cases their goals can be achieved by smart use of their subchannels. Want to please the mainstream population with drama, sports and sitcoms while still delivering diversified content? Keep HNIC and the other shows on the main HD feed while passing documentaries/culture on one sub channel, local content on another, etc.

This formula works great for the PBS stations in the states.

Heck, they can even throw in CBC Radio 1 or 2 as an audio-only sub channel like the BDUs do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts