Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From http://www.thespec.com/news/canada/article/509790--cbc-tv-to-reduce-reliance-on-foreign-programs-be-more-canadian-stewart

CBC-TV says it is reducing the amount of American programming on the main network, calling its reliance on foreign imports “a crutch.”

Kirstine Stewart, the new head of CBC’s English services, says popular but cheap shows like Jeopardy! helped showcase Canadian offerings and “we don’t need those crutches anymore.”

She stopped short of vowing to shed all foreign series from the network, but said in a luncheon speech that the CBC “will be more Canadian” over the next five years.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope they enjoy having even less viewers than the very few they have now... but then again, why would they care? we pay for that mess!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hope they enjoy having even less viewers than the very few they have now... but then again, why would they care? we pay for that mess!
I have to disagree with your comment. CBC does produce some fine programming. At least they use our tax and LPIF dollars to actually produce programming, instead of buying American shows we already get from the US networks anyway. CTV, GLOBAL, CITY and the likes should all follow CBC's model, or at least be forced to. Global might as well become a FOX affiliate anyhow as they almost simulcast all their programming.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Although CBC does provide some excellent programming, I have a feeling the story will change the day after the election.

·
Registered
543 Posts
They cancelled one of their best shows last year - The Border.
11 Cameras was brilliant too.

Anyhow, the CBC should bring us the best of shows from other public broadcasters like the BBC and Aussie ABC while at the same time producing great and unique Canadian programming. Based on the success of the BBC and others, the CBC has great potential, but they've missed many opportunities.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Canada's favourite quiz show?

According to Wikipedia: The first season of "The Border" had a total budget of 20 million dollars, with about 1.5 million dollars per episode. Grace Park (an American-born Canadian actress) joined the cast for the Second and Third seasons.

CBC-TV says it is reducing the amount of American programming on the main network, calling its reliance on foreign imports “a crutch.”
This thread is too funny to take seriously. The CBC is our Public broadcaster. If you can't trust the CBC to be more Canadian, who can you trust? Who is Alex Trebeck! From Universal Studios in Hollywood and soon to be streaming on Netflix Canada ... This is Jeopardy for the CBC!

When I first read that CBC quote, I thought it said that CBC's reliance on foreign imports was a "crotch." That's because I often think of CBC as our Pubic broadcaster, rather than our Public broadcaster. The CBC isn't afraid to show us nudity, nor should it be, but I do think it's time that both Peter Mansbridge and Kevin O'Leary covered up their bald spots and each put on a tuque (proper spelling according to the Oxford Dictionary -- hmm). Too much forehead skin!

This is a nice publicity stunt for CBC. When the CBC gang speaks of being more Canadian, they just hope that you will somehow feel the patriotic urge to watch more CBC and less CBS. Part of the plan is to remake popular US shows on the cheap -- so as not to get anybody even more suspicious of how they are spending our money.

I like some of the CBC programming and although I can live without it, I do miss Don Cherry's No Fashion TV segments during Hockey Night in Canada. Next season, the CBC will re-brand the show as Hockey Night In North America. More of the games will feature two United States teams battling it out, while Don Cherry and Ron MacLean point out how many of the players were born and raised in Canada!

Some of CBC's upcoming shows will be:

1) The Border Collie (Live Action/Family Drama): A Border Collie named Degrassi (voiced by Kevin Smith), patrols a Manitoba "High" School looking for drugs. Great Family entertainment with "High" production values and low expectations.

2) Hawaii Five-O Canada: Grace Park leads a team of illegal aliens across the US border into Hawaii searching for Paul Anka (nobody knows why). Season 1 will focus on surfing Hulu.com and Netflix Canada for CBC content which leads up to the cliff-hanger/diving episode that takes the team to Ceylon to follow a lead on Paul Anka's whereabouts ... only to later discover that Ceylon is now known as Paul Lanka. Season 2 will feature more illegal alien encounters from Third-World countries like Canada, and the team will be forced to use a VPN service to surf Netflix.com to avoid the CBC programming that infests Netflix Canada (Netflix.ca).

3) Little House on the Saskatchewan Prairie: Spin-off of the popular CBC show Little Mosque on the Prairie, this time about a family that is struggling to receive its mail from the evil Canada Post, but doesn't realize that the posties are on strike. Laughs will be delivered, but the mail will not.

Mid-season replacements:

1) House of Commons, M.P.: Tony Clement stars as himself in this Reality TV series about using Twitter for political gain. Will Tony tweet his way to the top, or will he instead be overcome by his addiction to pain-killers and his terrible limp (that he developed from waiting too long for his MRI here in Canada instead of fleeing to the United States like Michael Ignatieff would have done at the first sign of trouble)? Sure to be the sleeper hit of the season ... you'll be asleep before the first commercial break! The theme song for the series will be "Think" which is from the Jeopardy! TV show (Will the CBC ever learn from its mistakes? Of course not!).

Wikipedia note: "Think!", originally composed by Merv Griffin as "A Time for Tony" as a lullaby for his son Tony, has served as the Final Jeopardy! round countdown music since the show's debut in 1964.

2) CSI: P.E.I. : Only 3 episodes were filmed because the cast got tired of eating potatoes every day and left to join other CSI shows with better catering. Tagline for the show: This show will make you a couch potato!

According to Wikipedia: The province Of Prince Edward Island currently accounts for a third of Canada's total potato production, producing approximately 1.3 billion kilograms annually. Comparatively, the state of Idaho produces approximately 6.2 billion kilograms annually, with a population approximately 9.5 times greater. The province is a major producer of seed potatoes, exporting to more than twenty countries around the world.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
It is me, or does CBC simply roll out the same announcement every 5-10 years. I seem to remember the same thing about 5 years ago ... and even back when they decided to reduce US programming such as Dallas and M*A*S*H which they used to simulcast at the same time CBS aired it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This announcement puzzles me. What non-Canadian shows do they air besides Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy? Did they really need to announce that these two shows would not be renewed?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Deja View?

I wonder if the CBC will also reduce its US movie lineup and some of the other British shows it occasionally carries. This begs the question, if the CBC becomes more "Canadian" what would it be worth if it tried to negotiate a higher value for service (fee-for-carriage) rate from the Cable and Satellite providers (through arbitration perhaps, since it must be carried anyway)? I would assume it would be worthless ... I mean worth a lot less to the Cable and Satellite companies.

However, it doesn't matter which direction the CBC is going because either way you look at it, it's the exact same three letters. It suffers from the Sarah Pallindrome Syndrome. Three steps forward, three steps back. CBC's future is its past and its past is its future.

According to Wikipedia: The word "palindrome" was coined from Greek roots palin ("again") and dromos ("way, direction") by English writer Ben Jonson in the 17th century.

That better explains why Ben won the medals and then had them taken away from him, not just because he was a big "dope," but because he was destined to fail, just like Sarah Pallindrome and the CBC.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
CBC also shows BBC programming, such as "Doctor Who", about a year after it airs in Britain.
They used to - but Doctor Who has been on CTV's Space channel for a couple of years now.

Really apart from stuff like the game shows at 7 pm, Coronation Street at 6:30 pm, and Ghost Whisperer at 4 pm, it's all Canadian content these days. I guess if you watch it from 4 pm to 8 pm, you might not think so, but Prime-Time has been 100% Canadian for a while ... it's certainly not like the old days when they seemed to carry so much CBS stuff.

·
Registered
251 Posts
At least the CBC produces or makes its own shows which gives it a unique identity in the multi-channel universe. Its all about branding and setting yourself apart. Do you see other networks either cable or OTA in the U.S. importing shows and simulcasting? CTV, Global and other Canadian broadcasters need to stop importing U.S. shows and get off their duffs and make unique and watchable shows that sell. Partner with other production companies abroad like the CBC to share the cost of expensive dramas. Do your market research and find out what people want to watch, be creative, promote your successes (hello CTV and Flashpoint).

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have said this before, but it is difficult for the Canadian networks to produce programming that will compete head to head with the big budget programming produced by/for the American networks so the Canadian networks have taken the if you can't beat them, join them attitude. This isn't likely to change until Canadian BDUs stop including the American networks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have said this before, but it is difficult for the Canadian networks to produce programming that will compete head to head with the big budget programming produced by/for the American networks
How come the French Canadian networks managed to pull it off with about 25% of the possible audience/budget? CTV/Global just aren't making the efforts and enjoying the corporate welfare instead...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
This begs the question, if the CBC becomes more "Canadian" what would it be worth if it tried to negotiate a higher value for service (fee-for-carriage) rate from the Cable and Satellite providers (through arbitration perhaps, since it must be carried anyway)? I would assume it would be worthless.
They cannot negotiate a fee at all. The CBC broadcast stations are excluded from the FFC regime presented last year, largely because they are government funded and are must carry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts