Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the CBC Toronto news starts at 5:59, instead of 6:00 PM? This started a few weeks ago. Since I record the news on my PVR and watch it later, this is irritating. I have to program the PVR to start 5 minutes early and then skip over 4 minutes. Why would they do such a stupid thing? Are they trying to annoy the viewers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two things: (1) I always set my PVR to start 2 minutes early and run an extra 3 minutes after.
(2) Shows starting early is quite smart! They hook the viewer to watch before the other broadcasts start and keep you watching.
(TBS used to start their programming at :05 and :35 minutes -- THAT made minimal sence)

·
705 Posts
CBC New Brunswick News has aired in a 5:59 to 6:30 PM time slot for years. I have always just adjusted my PVR to start recording one minute early.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I mentioned, this is recent. However, I can't set my PVR 1 minute early. 5 minutes is the shortest.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@JamesK
The problem is with your guide provider. If you check Zap2it, you will see the show is scheduled to start at 5:59. I use Plex for recording and the Plex guide shows the show starting at 6:00. If I wanted to record with Plex, I would have to change the recording to start early because the guide is incorrect. If Plex guide was corrected, then just selecting to record the show would record properly.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
@JamesK appears to be with Rogers. Their Digital Cable PVR Navigatr Firmware (8642, 9865) only allows for 5/15/30/60/180 minutes to be added at the start and/or at the end of the programme. The old 8300 running SARA actually had a 1 minute option. The Rogers IPG is notoriously bad, especially now that Rogers are concentrating on IgniteTV.

IgniteTV may be better - my understand is that IgniteTV even takes into account if a live programme runs late. So, the provider and the firmware are very important. If it doesn't work in a normal fashion, then a workaround like setting it to start early is necessary and in the case of the Rogers digital cable PVR, that means starting 5 minutes early. The PVR does have a skip forward 3 minutes option (pg+) so you should be able to get to the start of the programme pretty quickly by skipping and then a quick FF.

The issue of programming starting and ending at odd times has been discussed on this forum many times previously, although probably not recently.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts
No, the problem is my PVR won't allow me to start 1 min early.
If the Navigatr IPG gave the correct start time, there would not be a problem, as I indicated in my previous post. There are lots of programmes that start at "odd" times. Rogers Navigatr and the IPG provider just needs to provide us with the correct information.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
OTA signal event info
CBC Toronto News
17:59 - 19:00

zap2it event info
CBC Toronto News
Fri, Jun 12, 05:59 PM to 07:00 PM (61 mins)

So the zap2it provider is accurate.
As long as your PVR or PC time isn't way off, then your PVR should work as is I would think (because it's using zap2it also). I setup a recording on my mythtv backend to try and catch your issue. My Mythtv backend is using zap2it for guide info, and the pc time is accurate.
You never answered paradoxinsanity's question in post #5 as to what PVR is in use.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Zap2it shows the correct time. However, my PVR doesn't use Zap2it. It uses the Rogers guide, which does not show the correct time. So, my PVR is doing what it's supposed to, but for some reason, the Rogers Guide is wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts