Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
501 - 520 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
The money would have already been budgeted by the CBC to convert the Whitehorse, Yellowknife, and Iqaluit transmitters to digital anyways.
Actually, their plan was to convert the Yellowknife transmitter only.

·
Registered
747 Posts
London Population counts in '000 & DTV costs

CBLFT-9 RC London n/a
CBLN-TV CBC London n/a
CFMT-1 OM1 London 687 $500ooo
CFPL-TV A London n/a (But in the CKVR Barrie app has pop count of 1.4 million)
CHCH-2 CHCH Alvinston 757 $400ooo
CICO-18 TVO London (TVO) 689 $311ooo
CITS-2 CTS London 475 $n/a
CITY-2 City Woodstock 1340 $500ooo
CJMT-1 OM2 London 689 $500ooo
CKXT-? Sun London n/a
CIII-TV GTN Kitchener 5347 $300ooo
CKCO-TV CTV Kitchener 4000 $1000ooo

The population Count for London would be around 687ooo+.

Read ya l8r,
Al

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
CBET (CBC Windsor) flash cutting to digital on Sept 01, 2011

Just got some positive word from CBET (CBC Windsor). Looks as if they have given up on trying to get a 1 year extension and will be flash cutting. An exert from their e-mail reads as follows.

CBET will also convert to Digital transmission come September 1 2011
and
The CBET will always be 9.
As things stands, it looks as if all the Windsor locals are going through with the transition without delay.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Actually, their plan was to convert the Yellowknife transmitter only.
Exactly! Whitehorse and Iqaluit were to be shut down. Now the CBC can keep them on air.

Also, I have yet to hear anything official to say the CBC will change their original plan to convert CFYK-TV Yellowknife, though I suspect it will now stay analog only.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Isn't CFYK-TV Yellowknife an originating station? Perhaps CBC is too far down the road to turn back. We'll see I guess.

From CBC's DTV FAQ's:

We will continue to broadcast in analogue for as long as we can, but we cannot continue to do so forever. The useful life of CBC/Radio-Canada’s satellite distribution backbone for analogue transmission is approaching.
I understand this is scheduled to be decommissioned in December 2013, so the transmitters in non-mandatory markets don't have much of a lifespan anyway.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I didn't inquire about CBEFT, as I just assumed if CBET was converting CBEFT would also convert. With that said I will follow-up.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks alebowgm.

? I read last year that SRC would shut down completely here and not bother to convert. I just assumed this was still the case. Out of core ch54 analog cannot remain anyway, so that must mean SRC OTA will be discontinued here.

·
Registered
290 Posts
London area = CBC OTA coverage void :(

Thanks Downbeat for posting the CBC coverage maps link.

That is the final nail in the coffin... CBC OTA coverage in Ontario by means of a mix of analog, affiliate, and 3 CBC digital stations..... the only large population area where there is a VOID is the London, Woodstock, St.Thomas, Stratford, Strathroy, and all other towns in the area. It's just wrong on so many different levels. :(

Check out the coverage map for most of Ontario @ http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/tvn/pdf-maps/TN-0015_TVE_ON.pdf from Windsor to Montreal to North Bay & Sudbury.

When the CBC analog transmitters begin to fail, there will NO longer be CBC OTA coverage in many areas, except for Ottawa, Toronto/GTA, and Windsor. People in these cities should consider themselves lucky.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: CFYK Yellowknife

Isn't CFYK-TV Yellowknife an originating station? Perhaps CBC is too far down the road to turn back. We'll see I guess.
I expect CBC to carry on converting CFYK since it's an originating station. They're also converting their SRC station in Rimouski, which isn't a mandatory market either. Both are showing on their site: http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv

I find it interesting that the DTV conversion is currently living on CBC's relatively static corporate site and not on the main CBC.ca site. If you search CBC.ca there is simply no link to CBC's dtv conversion site - not even under the TV/Channels and Frequencies section. I'd like to think that this is because the DTV site is new and just getting integrated in - I'd hope to find it at cbc.ca/dtv soon.

Guys, if you haven't done so yet, please write to the CBC via their contact us facility. I wrote them to complain about losing my local SRC repeater (which I watch about the same amount of as CTV or Global) but also put in a word for folks who will be losing CBC English. If we don't complain to CBC now and in September when signals are lost, these repeaters will stay dark.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Despite all my phone calls indicating CBC not making the DT transition in Halifax by the deadline their website now indicates differently: http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/halifax_cbc.shtml
I'm not sure if this is one hand not knowing what the other is doing but it could be an encouraging sign. Has the CRTC come out somewhere and said no deadline extensions for mandatory markets?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Absolutely... I've submitted a few Complaints to CBC via its "contact us" link @ http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/about/contact.shtml / http://www.cbc.ca/contact/ (where the form actually exists). I have also sent 2 or 3 emails to Angus McKinnon (Senior Advisor, Media Relations and Issues Management at CBC/Radio-Canada) and my MP, Ed Holder.

Of course, I never received any response or feedback... so I'm not sure how effective these Complaints are.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does this new website actually represent their solid comitted plan to make transitions or end services? After multiple phone calls saying Halifax would be going without DTV for at least another year now I see they're going to meet the deadline. ( http://cbc.radio-canada.ca/dtv/halifax_cbc.shtml ) I also see they're planning on cutting some mandatory markets entirely by ending their presence in those cities, like Saskatoon among others. I guess mandatory means "if you're going to transmit there you have to go digital", thus the sharp pencil brigade sees savings in "you don't have to go digital in non-capital large population centres if you don't transmit there any more."

It does suck that many markets are losing coverage (London, Saskatoon, most of New Brunswick), and it's interesting that they don't mention the time limits on analogue repeater lifespans, but it's a comprehensive plan that's long overdue in being released. And in my small corner of the world, an encouraging sign!

·
Registered
442 Posts
lordhemet,

In December, CBC quietly updated their PDF from August to indicate that all originating stations will be online for the deadline. I expect you'll get CBC Halifax around September 1.

Based on magnet's info, you might even get CTV a few months early, since they are switching towers. Hopefully they are able to get it up and running within safety code 6 limits.

Global will be almost impossible to pick up at a paltry 800 watts... too bad. And Halifax will be losing SRC, along with Charlottetown, Saint John, and Fredericton.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Even some provincial capitals will be without CBC digital OTA - Quebec City loses its retransmitter of CBC Montreal, Victoria is right at the edge on Vancouver's contour.

Anyone know the fate of privately-owned CBC/SRC affiliates? I think there's CKSA in Lloydminster, AB, CKPR in Thunder Bay, ON, CKRT in Riviere-du-Loup, QC, CJDG and CKRN in Rouyn-Noranda/Val-d'OR, QC in the mandatory markets. Are they all on their own to convert?

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Affiliates

On affiliates — that is the sillest part of the whole situation.
As far as I know, EVERY affiliate of CBC Television — including the very smallest ones — is converting to DTV.
Lloydminster, Thunder Bay and entire networks of French affiliates in Quebec in 2011; Kingston and Peterborough in 2012, if memory serves. (Am I missing any?)
Between the CBC's unwillingness to convert its repeater stations and the CRTC's hard line on analog stations in mandatory markets going off the air this August, this entire situation is an utter train wreck.
NOT looking forward to losing CBRFT in August.
I'm sharpening my proverbial pencil for a new round of letter writing.

501 - 520 of 947 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.