Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is CBC radio making moves to discontinue podcasts and downloads?

First they restricted the Wiretap podcast.

Then they instituted restrictive time limits.

Next the downgraded the bitrate.

Then they added commercials.

Then as of yesterday, they appear to have discontinued podcast of new Wiretap airings.

In place of yesterday's podcast, they've sim-subbed a 7 year old re-run.

But it's not even the actual 7 year old episode, it's a chopped-down shortened version (20 mins vs the original 29 minutes)!

Their web site is looking more and more like a paid portal for iTunes and Facebook.

I support the CBC, but pulling anti-taxpayer/anti-listener stunts like this is becoming increasingly difficult to accept!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You're basing your assumption on one show? The shows that I listen to are podcasting as usual and the CBC has always had some paid podcasts (eg., Afghanada, Monsoon House).

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're basing your assumption on one show? The shows that I listen to are podcasting as usual and the CBC has always had some paid podcasts (eg., Afghanada, Monsoon House).
No, it's based on a trend over the last 3-4 years.

I haven't monitored their entire catalog, but based on this show the reductions are deep and getting steeper.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Everything I listen to is still available

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I listen to is still available
Well when your content starts to get chopped, at least we'll know when the trend started and that you didn't mind.

Remember that CBC is supposed to be our public broadcaster.

Removing certain programs from internet streaming is a step backward and is contrary to their mandate and promises. The sly way they seem to be going about it is also disappointing.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
In my area (Edmonton) more content is being offered as postcasts, not less. Even the "Edmonton AM" morning show offers the bits that aren't news/traffic/weather as a podcast where they weren't in previous years.

If CBC is going to go to the expense of creating radio content, the additional costs of distributing it via a podcast is of negligible additional expense.

Nield, to make your case you should show CBC's current podcast count (vs their historical podcast count) and show that it is going down. So far, you have not done this.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If CBC is going to go to the expense of creating radio content, the additional costs of distributing it via a podcast is of negligible additional expense.
That's definitely not the case. Additional fees are often required if the program contains music or if the performers have the clout to demand them. For example, in the case of Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap, the fees to offer it as a podcast would be pretty high.

I would imagine that any removals would also have to do with licensing/fee agreements. WireTap looks like an independent production.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Ahh, well, I don't consider the radio shows that simply play music as "content creation". Quirks and Quarks on the other hand is content creation.

Top-40 radio stations by and large aren't content creators, for example.

Oh, and I would be surprised if CBC had contracts with its employees where employees got paid based on the distribution of podcasts.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Vinyl Tap doesn't simply play music. Bachman devotes a good deal of time discussing the theme of the week and how each song or song snippet fits in. Another example if Vinyl Cafe. Listen to the podcasts and you'll notice that some songs are cut out.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my area (Edmonton) more content is being offered as postcasts, not less. Even the "Edmonton AM" morning show offers the bits that aren't news/traffic/weather as a podcast where they weren't in previous years.
Did you know that everything on air resides in a big file system like a giant MP3 server? Sharing the content would be trivial, and to hear that a few extra grains of content are being placed is nothing to brag about.

I quite agree, the cost is trivial. But even if it weren't, radical cuts to the nearly free podcast distribution channel go against the mandate.

Nield, to make your case you should show CBC's current podcast count (vs their historical podcast count) and show that it is going down. So far, you have not done this.
While I don't agree that methodology proves much, those numbers starkly illustrate the problem.

Last year at this time the Wiretap podcast page had over 100 available selections. It shrank through the year and was down to 37 by spring. As of today, there's just 4 left:

http://www.cbc.ca/podcasting/includes/wiretap.xml

It seems whomever is paid to maintain this seems to be really slacking.

Last week they sim-subbed half of an old re-run and this week they forgot to post the audio by deadline yesterday. A half hearted note says the audio will post up on Monday, but I kind of doubt it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
NeilD, care to engage in an act of contrition now?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hugh said:
NeilD, care to engage in an act of contrition now?
I'm talking about the public CBC website, not iTunes. It's not surprising they would be more diligent about posting the monetized iTunes version. Perhaps Apple has a mechanism to make sure podcast suppliers don't drop the ball.

But just to clarify for you, it's the cbc web site I'm talking about.

I came back to note in fairness, they did post one episode today (which I figured wouldn't happen until Tuesday). They backdated it, but still it's 3 days late.

And last week's episode still isn't posted, however today's late episode release brings the total up to 5.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Neild, Have you contacted the CBC to find out what's happening? I see you completely ignored my post about licensing fees and agreements.
On that subject I tend to agree with audacity, that a show like Wiretap is largely original creative content, with a sprinkling of recorded music.

Vinyl Tap is the opposite, almost entirely pop music replays with a sprinkling or 'original' content in the form of Randy and his wife talking in between songs.

Something you probably don't know is that the Wiretap episodes in the past have typically been cut and re-cut in multiple forms. Sometimes names are changed and sometimes musical backgrounds are changed. Sometimes different bumpers are added or removed, or edited for time or to support customers like NPR or Sirius. CBC also used to render at least 2 bitrate formats for each episode, sometimes more.

So if one is to assume your licensing theory is valid, one must accept that they've demonstrated years of capability to work around that anyway. In other words, not sure if it's an issue, but if it is, then it's a moot issue.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Not really. Licenses could easily have expiry terms. Or the latest negotiations could have changed what CBC is allowed to offer. Right now the first five seasons seem to be streaming only while the last two can be downloaded. The only way you're really going to find out what is happening is to contact the CBC.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not really. Licenses could easily have expiry terms. Or the latest negotiations could have changed what CBC is allowed to offer. Right now the first five seasons seem to be streaming only while the last two can be downloaded. The only way you're really going to find out what is happening is to contact the CBC.
Not really. There's other ways to find things out than to blindly trust the subject's PR department.

This week's episode release mixup provides evidence of what I already said.

While Wiretap episodes have ranged from 25-30 minutes, the majority have a 'standard' length of 26:30

This week's broadcast was in fact 26:30.

But the late podcast release is closer to 26 minutes, and that also includes a 40 second commercial that was not on the broadcast to air. So over a minute of the program has been trimmed to create the podcast.

One curiosity is that the podcast is actually truncated, with the second commercial being chopped off abruptly. I can't remember the last time that happened, so it's pretty rare.

The extro for the broadcast version has Guess Who's 'These Eyes' underneath it, a good and appropriate choice for the episode. However in the podcast, they've substituted generic (probably royalty-free) caliope synth music.

As I mentioned, this production has *years* of experience skillfully navigating all kinds of copyright and licensing concerns, whether they be music or print.

I do get where you're coming from. If I didn't know jack about this program, I might have jumped to the same assumptions as you did.

Most likely the true reason is deference to their Apple monetized content venture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disappearing podcasts

I've been wanting to get Vinyl Tap as a podcast for many years, since I cannot get to listen to the whole show on air. But it simply is not available!

I've written to CBC to ask about this -- but of course, there is no reply.

I did write to Randy himself -- nothing either. He still does say on his show to get the podcast from the site, but I think that was a very old show.

Many of the shows I listen to are still available as a podcast, but I am finding fewer and fewer. After all, if they can make money off them, why not?? I got ripped off once more!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts