7 p.m. ET Montreal at Ottawa

Saturday, April 9

1 p.m. ET Ottawa at Boston
7 p.m. ET Montreal at Toronto
10 p.m. ET Vancouver at Calgary

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd just like to register my West Coast righteous indignation at the CBC yet again determining that the Toronto at Vancouver game will be at 4:00 Pacific Time. Obviously, this is a big game for the CBC, as it is every year, and of course Vancouver fans will make it to the game regardless of whether it's on at 4:00 or 7:00. But a Saturday 4:00 game is not a Saturday *night* game, and personally I think something special is taken away from Vancouver fans when a Saturday game is played in the afternoon.

Don't get me wrong. With the exception of Grapes, I think that the CBC is by far the best hockey broadcaster in the country. It just rankles me when I see them making a $$$ decision that they know (they've heard about it from Vancouver media and fans for several years now) is disappointing and frustrating for Vancouver fans.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Well the $$$ decision means that CBC is making more money off HNIC, hence we as taxpayers aren't supporting it.

As a Senators fan I'm used to watching afternoon games on CBC, so I probably view it different than others, but I actually kind of like Saturday afternoon games (especially on days when its really cold outside).

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The 10pm ones for sure and probably the weekday night ones. Then whichever 7pm one is chosen as the "national game".

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I'd just like to register my West Coast righteous indignation at the CBC yet again determining that the Toronto at Vancouver game will be at 4:00 Pacific Time. Obviously, this is a big game for the CBC, as it is every year, and of course Vancouver fans will make it to the game regardless of whether it's on at 4:00 or 7:00. But a Saturday 4:00 game is not a Saturday *night* game, and personally I think something special is taken away from Vancouver fans when a Saturday game is played in the afternoon.

Don't get me wrong. With the exception of Grapes, I think that the CBC is by far the best hockey broadcaster in the country. It just rankles me when I see them making a $$$ decision that they know (they've heard about it from Vancouver media and fans for several years now) is disappointing and frustrating for Vancouver fans.
They would rather get big numbers in Toronto and big numbers in Vancouver than strong numbers in Toronto big numbers in Vancouver, although I do agree it would be best if the game was 7pm PST or a swing time start of say 5:30pm PST (8:30pm EST)... show the first period and a bit of a 7pm ET/4pm PT game, then cut to this game, then swing to the end of the 2nd and the 3rd period of a late game. Won't ever happen though.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
[insert sarcastic voice] I need to say that as a Maple Leafs fan, I think it is stupid that the Buds aren't playing on Oct 16 or Jan 08. How HNIC wouldn't schedule the Leafs those nights is just beyond. [end sarcastic voice]

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Here are the stats about how many games from each Canadian team the CBC is showing:

VANCOUVER 14
CALGARY 14
EDMONTON 14
TORONTO 24
OTTAWA 18
MONTREAL 29​

Also, unrelated to HNIC, but interesting for Sens fans, here is how many Sens games each of the networks is showing:

CBC 18
TSN 10
TSN2 2
SNET-E 40
SNET-OTT 12
RDS 20​

So for once all 82 games will be available in English in Ottawa.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
The Senators are also on RIS for three games.
Ahh. Very true. I never thought to check them out. I will have to add it to the spreadsheet I use to do my calculations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have NHL Center ice this year so I was wondering if games on CBC Ottawa would be blacked out on Center Ice? Ottawa (almost always) is shown regionally so would those games be available on Center ice?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Yes. All CBC games will be blacked out on CI. The only way to watch them is online at CBC's site.
Um, I could have sworn I watched HNIC broadcasts that were not on my local affiliate (CBLT - CBC Toronto) in the NHLCI package last year, which would had included the Sens games.

·
Registered
338 Posts
TelusTV only has CBC Vancouver in HD, and CBC Edmonton in SD. If there are ANY games only on CBC Toronto, or Montreal (happens a few times a season), will these games be on CI or no? It's not my fault my provider doesn't have multiple regional HD stations for CBC. Same thing with the Sens games which are almost always exclusive to the Ottawa valley, those should be on CI too.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I hear where you are coming from, I only get CBC Toronto in HD. However, Montreal and Ottawa games aren't broadcast in HD for the most part, they are in 16:9 SD. Of course that is better than 4:3 SD.

While its not your fault that your provider doesn't carry CBC Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal HD, it is your provider's fault. Why would CBC let them put the games on Centre Ice over actually carrying the CBC channels (and as a result giving CBC more exposure).

Also these aren't regional games, they are national games. The same thing happens in the US with Extra Innings. Let's say that you get BOS-NYY on your local Fox affiliate, while others get CIN-SD. Extra Innings isn't allowed to carry either game, so you couldn't watch CIN-SD even if you had Extra Innings. Its a bit of a stupid rule, but its not only an NHL rule.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
NB Josh,

I still am not convinced, at least not for Rogers in the Toronto area. Like I have previously said, I could have sworn I have seen CBC HNIC games that were being broadcast outside of my region (so not on CBLT - CBC Toronto) in the NHLCI package. I did some hunting and came across this from Wiki which would seem to support what I thought.

NHL Centre Ice does not black out any game based on attendance or mileage to said arena. All home teams are blacked out in their designated TV markets. For example, customers in Toronto cannot see Toronto Maple Leafs games on NHL Centre Ice; these local games are instead available on a local Toronto station.

This creates a significant problem in areas that lie within the blackout zone but are not served by the NHL team's regional sports network. Erie, Pennsylvania is an American example of this: Erie is in the Buffalo Sabres' blackout zone, but MSG Network is not carried in that section of Pennsylvania, thus resulting in a total blackout of all Sabres games not carried on a national provider. (When Empire Sports Network existed, that station did serve Erie.)

Blackouts can be lifted if one team is not televising the game and the other is, provided the non-broadcasting team grants permission.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Centre_Ice

Also, I found this old PDF on the Rogers website for NHLCI and it seems to support my thought process as well. I can't yet find an '09/'10 channel grid. http://your.rogers.com/store/cable/ptv/programming/game_schedules.asp

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Why would CBC let them put the games on Centre Ice over actually carrying the CBC channels (and as a result giving CBC more exposure).
They don't really care about getting out-of market (Montreal and Ottawa) channels into TelusTV's region. The issue with the satellite companies is different because they are in every region.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts