Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
CBC announced the exclusive Canadian premiere of coming-of-age drama NORMAL PEOPLE (12x30, BBC and Hulu) will launch on the free CBC Gem streaming service Wednesday, May 27, with two new episodes premiering each Wednesday. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
CBC Gem is featuring a #HelloSpring collection, which includes spring-themed content including a variety of lifestyle, documentary and unscripted programming.

CBC has launched a Hello Spring website, a four-week Canada-wide digital initiative including documentaries and photography from some of Canada’s top wildlife cinematographers, as well as a collection of the best nature livestreams from coast-to-coast-to-coast. (Press Release)

https://www.cbc.ca/life/hellospring

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
CBC CELEBRATES PRIDE AND NATIONAL INDIGENOUS HISTORY MONTHS WITH NEW ORIGINAL STORYTELLING

CBC is celebrating Pride and National Indigenous History Months with a broadcast and streaming lineup of new original series, special programming, and Canadian film debuts, complementing an extensive range of content on CBC Arts, CBC Books, CBC Docs, CBC Kids, CBC Music, CBC Podcasts and CBC Sports. See the press release for program descriptions.

Highlights from CBC’s Pride Month broadcast and streaming programming include the following
(listed in chronological order by date):

Exclusive Canadian Premiere of TAKE MY WIFE (Comedy, Seasons 1 and 2, 12x30, Young and Sharp Productions, Comedy Bang! Bang! Productions)
Season 1 begins streaming Friday, June 5, Season 2 begins streaming Friday, June 26 on CBC Gem

World Premiere of MERB’YS (CBC Short Doc, 1x20, directed by Jamie Miller)
Begins streaming Friday, June 12 on CBC Gem

World Premiere of QUEENS (CBC Gem Original Series - Comedy/Mystery, 6x10, Harlow Creative)
Begins streaming Friday, June 19 on CBC Gem

QUEENS PREMIERE EVENT WITH PRIDE TORONTO (Live Q&A)
Streaming live on CBC Gem Friday, June 19 at 9pm ET, with an intro panel at 8:30pm and Q&A session at 10pm ET via PrideToronto.com

SEAHORSE (Documentary, 1x90, directed by Jeanie Finlay)

Canadian Premiere of STANDING ON THE LINE (Documentary, 1x80, directed by Paul Émile d'Entremont)

CBC ARTS PRESENTS QUEER PRIDE INSIDE: A BUDDIES IN BAD TIMES CABARET (CBC Gem Special)
Streaming live on Saturday, June 20 at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT on CBC Gem

CBC Premiere of GIANT LITTLE ONES (Drama, 1x90, directed by Keith Behrman)
Broadcast and streaming on Saturday, June 20 at 9 p.m. (10 AT, 10:30 NT) on CBC and CBC Gem

CBC Gem Exclusive WE’RE FUNNY THAT WAY: THE VIRTUAL PRIDE SPECIAL (CBC Gem Special, 1x60)
Begins streaming Friday, June 26 at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on CBC Gem

Additional titles available to stream as of today in the CBC Gem Pride Month collection:
BUTTERFLY, CALL ME OLLY, CANADA’S A DRAG, COMING IN, DEVOUT AND OUT, HANNAH GADSBY’S NAKEDY NUDES, MIND FUDGE, PICTURE THIS, QUEER SELF PORTRAITS, REBELS ON POINTE, SCHITT’S CREEK, TAKE ME TO PROM, TRANSFORMER and more.

Highlights from CBC’s National Indigenous History Month broadcast and streaming programming include:

FUTURE HISTORY (Documentary, 13x30, Redcloud Studios)
Season 2 begins streaming Thursday, June 11

SPIRIT TO SOAR [Amimiiki Wijiw] (Documentary, 1x60, directed by Michelle Derosier)
Begins streaming Friday, June 12

MOHAWK GIRLS (Dramatic Comedy, 7x30, Rezolution Pictures International)
Season 1 airs on Tuesdays at 9 p.m. (9:30 NT) on CBC beginning June 16; available now to stream on CBC Gem

KUESSIPAN (Drama, 1x117, directed by Myriam Verreault)

The 27th Annual INDSPIRE AWARDS
Broadcast and streaming Sunday, June 21 at 8 p.m. (8:30 NT) on CBC, CBC Gem, CBC Radio One and the CBC Listen app

OshKiKiShiKaw: A NEW DAY (CBC Short Doc, 1x25, directed by Jules Koostachin)
Broadcast Sunday, June 21 at 9:30 p.m. (10 NT) on CBC and available now on CBC Gem

Canadian Streaming Premiere of THE BODY REMEMBERS WHEN THE WORLD BROKE OPEN (Drama, 1x105, directed by Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers and Kathleen Hepburn)
Begins streaming Friday, June 26 on CBC Gem

KaYaMenTa: SHARING TRUTHS ABOUT MENOPAUSE (CBC Short Doc, directed by Jules Koostachin)
Begins streaming Friday, June 26 on CBC Gem

CBC Premiere of THE GRIZZLIES (Drama, 1x104, directed by Miranda de Pencier)
Broadcast and streaming on Saturday, June 27 at 10 p.m. ET and PT/ 11 AT and MT/ 11:30 NT/ 9 p.m. CT on CBC and CBC Gem

Additional titles under the curated Indigenous History Month collection, launching today on CBC Gem:
ATANARJUAT (THE FAST RUNNER), EMPTYING THE TANK, FAST HORSE, HEADDRESS,THE LEGEND OF SARILA, MOHAWK GIRLS, NO RESERVATIONS, OSHKIKISHIKAW: A NEW DAY, RETAKE, RHYMES FOR YOUNG GHOULS, TWILIGHT DANCERS and more.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
The Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (CARAS) and broadcast partner CBC today announced that The JUNOS Presented by TD will reveal the 2020 award winners in a special, virtual presentation on Monday, June 29 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) on the free CBC Gem streaming service, CBC Music’s Facebook, YouTube and Twitter pages, and for audiences around the world at CBCMusic.ca/junos. (CBC Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Streaming This July on CBC Gem

ACCLAIMED FROM AROUND THE WORLD
TRIGONOMETRY
(Drama, 8x45, House Productions, BBC - United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 3 Exclusive Canadian Premiere
FORTITUDE Season 2 (Drama, 10x60, Fifty Fathoms, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 10
FREAKS AND GEEKS (Comedy, 18x45, DreamWorks Television, United States) Begins streaming Friday, July 17
CHEWING GUM Season 1 (Comedy, 6x30, Retort, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 24
LINE OF DUTY Season 3 (Drama, 6x60, World Productions, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 24
YOUNG AND PROMISING Season 3 (Dramedy, 6x30, Monster Scripted, Norway) Canadian Premiere Begins streaming Friday, July 24

CBC GEM ORIGINAL COMEDIES
DECOYS (Comedy, 6x10, Counterfeit Pictures, Canada) World Premiere Begins streaming Friday, July 17
THE NEW WAVE OF STANDUP (Comedy, 12x10, Just for Laughs TV and JFL NorthWest, Canada) World Premiere Begins streaming Friday, July 17

CANADIAN FILMS
ANGELIQUE’S ISLE
(Drama, 1x90, directed by Marie-Hélène Cousineau and Michelle Derosier, Canada) CBC Films Begins streaming Saturday, July 18
THE GRAND SEDUCTION (Dramatic Comedy, 1x120, directed by Don McKellar, Canada) Begins streaming Saturday, July 25

YOUNG ADULT
THE HUNTING
(Drama, 4x60, Closer Productions, Australia) Exclusive Canadian Premiere Begins streaming Friday, July 3
ON THE ROPES (Young Adult, 9x10, Brat TV, United States) Begins streaming Friday, July 10
TOTAL ECLIPSE Seasons 1, 2 and 3 (Young Adult, 31x10, Brat TV, United States) Begins streaming Thursday, July 30

LIFESTYLE
FORAGE
(Lifestyle, 4x10, Oleander Films, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
ESCAPE TO THE CHATEAU Season 6 (Lifestyle, 4x60, Kindling Media, United Kingdom) Begins streaming Friday, July 10

CANADIAN DOCUMENTARIES
THE HEAT: A KITCHEN (R)EVOLUTION
(Documentary, 1x71, directed by Maya Gallus, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
REBOOT: A FUTURE MUSEUM (Documentary, 1x52, directed by Chris Mullington, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 17
AFTER MUNICH (Documentary, 1x78, 2019, directed by Francine Zuckerman, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 24

CANADIAN CLASSICS
DURHAM COUNTY
Season 2 (Drama, 6x60, Back Alley Film Productions, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 3
DAVINCI’S INQUEST Season 2 (Drama, 13x60, Haddock Entertainment, Canada) Begins streaming Friday, July 17

THE BEST OF CBC:
Past and current seasons of CBC series, including hit competition series BATTLE OF THE BLADES; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, FRANKIE DRAKE MYSTERIES, HEARTLAND, and ANNE WITH AN E; acclaimed comedies STILL STANDING, TALLBOYZ, KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW, and SCHITT’S CREEK; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.

COMING IN AUGUST:
ACKLEY BRIDGE Season 3
AFRICA WITH ADE ADEPITAN
BARRACUDA
DA KINK IN MY HAIR Season 2
GAME FACE Season 2
LINE OF DUTY Season 4
YOUNG AND PROMISING Season 4

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Global Goal: Unite for our Future—The Concert Broadcast Special to Air on CBC and CBC Gem Saturday, June 27 at 8 p.m. ET/PT.

The Concert will follow Global Goal: Unite for Our Future—The Summit, streaming on CBC Gem at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, June 27, a global pledging moment.

CBC Press Release

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
How many seasons of ‘Made In Canada’ do we think GEM will make available? Seems like just the first two at the moment?

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Alessia Cara will perform and present as part of The JUNOS on Monday, June 29 at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) on the free CBC Gem streaming service, CBC Music’s Facebook, YouTube and Twitter pages, and for audiences around the world at CBCMusic.ca/junos. Cara’s special one-time performance and exclusive premiere of “Rooting For You,” from her upcoming This Summer: Live Off the Floor EP, will only air as part of the live broadcast at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT) on CBC and the CBC Gem streaming service. (CBC Press Release)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I cancelled my premium when covid hit as they were offering it for free for a while. I have no cable and wanted the National so the $4.99 a month was worth it to me. Tried to watch the other day and free is over, no worries, I will just resubscribe.
Things have changed! Instead of my Credit Card, they connected to my Google account and allow me to pay from there. Perfect! I subscribe to the Google Opinions and they pay you to complete 10 second surveys. Basically, the Premium is now free. Don't know when Google Play became an option. Also gave me a free month.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
THE NEW WAVE OF STANDUP (12x10-min) will launch all episodes Friday, July 17 on the free CBC Gem streaming service. Each of the 12 featured comics brings their diverse background, viewpoint and unique comedy style to the stage in a 10-minute set, filmed in February for a live audience at this year’s JFL NorthWest in Vancouver. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Pen15 returns to Hulu on Friday, September 18th. Season Two consists of 14 episodes. The first seven will premiere on Sept. 18 and the remaining will stream in 2021. (Source) Season One streams on CBC Gem.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It really ticks me off that Americans can get versions of nearly ALL American streaming services, all over the world, but the only place you can legally pay for and receive GEM is in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
The Polaris Music Prize, presented by CBC Music, has unveiled the 10 albums on the 2020 Short List. On October 19, a special cinematic tribute will be broadcast in Canada on the CBC Gem streaming service, CBC Music’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages and around the globe at CBCMusic.ca/Polaris. The 2020 Polaris-winning album will be revealed live at the end of this event.

-----

All 26 games of the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) Summer Series will be live streamed on the free CBC Gem streaming service, cbcsports.ca, and the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices, beginning July 25. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
It really ticks me off that Americans can get versions of nearly ALL American streaming services, all over the world, but the only place you can legally pay for and receive GEM is in Canada.
That's because CBC can only license the content for streaming in Canada. The owners of the programs license them to local providers in other countries. Special events that aren't geo-fenced are usually put on YouTube, such as the The Polaris Music Prize broadcast mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
That's because CBC can only license the content for streaming in Canada. The owners of the programs license them to local providers in other countries. Special events that aren't geo-fenced are usually put on YouTube, such as the The Polaris Music Prize broadcast mentioned above.
Are you referring to American shows purchased by CBC? I’m more concerned with their CDN shows, seen almost nowhere else but a CBC. ‘Made In Canada’, ‘22 Minutes’, ‘Rick Mercer Report’, etc. Also, loads of U.K. material they run doesn’t show up on ANY U.S. nets I search. Add some news, current affairs shows, archived shows, there would be enough for a viable, CDN, international channel.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I was referring to Canadian entertainment programs licensed by the CBC for exhibition in Canada from the studios that produce them. For example, when Little Mosque attracted international attention, it was WestWind Pictures that signed deals with various broadcasters around the world including Hulu and Pivot TV in the U.S. (Little Mosque on the Prairie - Wikipedia) Here's a Vulture article that describes the process that Eugene and Dan Levy went through to license Schitt’s Creek to CBC in Canada and Pop TV and Netflix in the U.S. Rick Mercer also has his own production company, which probably owns the international rights. 22 Minutes was produced by Salter Street Studios, now owned by Wildbrain.

My guess is that streaming rights for UK programs would be proportional to the market size, so the CBC would have to spend about 10 times as much for the U.S. rights as they do for Canada. As a Canadian taxpayer that already involuntarily subsidizes the CBC to show Canadian programming in Canada, I would question the wisdom of such a move. Keep in mind that very few U.S. streaming operations are profitable and CBC could double its marketing budget and still not get noticed among the 400+ streaming services in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I was referring to Canadian entertainment programs licensed by the CBC for exhibition in Canada from the studios that produce them. For example, when Little Mosque attracted international attention, it was WestWind Pictures that signed deals with various broadcasters around the world including Hulu and Pivot TV in the U.S. (Little Mosque on the Prairie - Wikipedia) Here's a Vulture article that describes the process that Eugene and Dan Levy went through to license Schitt’s Creek to CBC in Canada and Pop TV and Netflix in the U.S. Rick Mercer also has his own production company, which probably owns the international rights. 22 Minutes was produced by Salter Street Studios, now owned by Wildbrain.

My guess is that streaming rights for UK programs would be proportional to the market size, so the CBC would have to spend about 10 times as much for the U.S. rights as they do for Canada. As a Canadian taxpayer that already involuntarily subsidizes the CBC to show Canadian programming in Canada, I would question the wisdom of such a move. Keep in mind that very few U.S. streaming operations are profitable and CBC could double its marketing budget and still not get noticed among the 400+ streaming services in the U.S.
yeah, sadly, probably all close to true. So much for the world wide web...

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
CBC AND OLYMPIC CHANNEL PARTNER TO BRING 24-HOUR DIGITAL LIVESTREAM TO CBC GEM IN CANADA

CBC, Canada’s Olympic Network, and the Olympic Channel announced that OLYMPIC CHANNEL TV has now launched in Canada on the free CBC Gem streaming service.

A 24-hour digital livestream showcasing the power of sport and the excitement of the Olympic Games all year round, OLYMPIC CHANNEL TV offers unparalleled access to Olympic sports and athletes from around the globe, with original programming, documentaries, gold medal performances and memorable moments from the Olympic Games.

The Olympic Channel is continuing to develop localised versions leading to more personalised experiences for Olympic fans around the world. These digital and linear distribution partnerships have resulted in an Olympic Channel presence in 175 territories complementing the global digital platform.

See the press release for programming highlights.

·
Super Moderator
16,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Streaming This August on CBC Gem

New to CBC GEM in August:
  • THE FUTURE OF FILM SHOWCASE CBC Gem Partnership
    Begins streaming Friday, August 21
CBC GEM ORIGINALS
  • FREE UP! (CBC Arts Special, 1x60, Canada) World Premiere
    Begins streaming Saturday, August 1
  • THE AMAZING GAYL PILE: LAST RESORT (Comedy, 10x10, LaRue Entertainment, Canada) World Premiere
ACCLAIMED FROM AROUND THE WORLD
  • GAME FACE Season 2 (Comedy, 6x30, Objective Fiction, United Kingdom) Exclusive Canadian Premiere
    Begins streaming Friday, August 7
  • BARRACUDA (Drama, 4x60, Matchbox Pictures, Australia) Canadian Premiere
    Begins streaming Friday, August 14
  • YOUNG AND PROMISING Season 4 (Dramedy, 6x30, Monster Scripted, Norway) Canadian Premiere
    Begins streaming Friday, August 14
OH! CANADA! RETRO FAVOURITES
  • DA KINK IN MY HAIR Season 2 (Comedy, 13x30, Barna-Alper/trey anthony/Ngozika/Defiant Entertainment, Canada)
KIDS/TWEEN
  • MALORY TOWERS (Tween, 13x30, WildBrain and King Bert Productions, Canada/United Kingdom)
    Begins streaming Friday, August 28
YOUNG ADULT NEW ADULT PROGRAMMING
  • ACKLEY BRIDGE Season 3 (Drama, 8x60, The Forge, United Kingdom)
DOCUMENTARIES
  • THE BOOKSELLERS (Documentary, 1x99, directed by D.W. Young) Exclusive Canadian Premiere Part of Book Lovers Day Collection
  • KEDI (Documentary, 1x79, directed by Ceyda Torun) English-Canadian Premiere
  • RU-TSU (Short Doc, 1x14, directed by Darcy Hennessey Turenne)
  • WHO FARTED? (Documentary, 1x78, directed by Albert Nerenberg and Nik Sheehan)
    Begins streaming Friday, August 28
THE BEST OF CBC:
  • Past and current seasons of CBC series, including hit competition series BATTLE OF THE BLADES; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, FRANKIE DRAKE MYSTERIES, HEARTLAND, and ANNE WITH AN E; acclaimed comedies STILL STANDING, TALLBOYZ, KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW, and SCHITT’S CREEK; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.
COMING IN SEPTEMBER:
  • CHEWING GUM Season 2
  • MOHAWK GIRLS Season 3
  • MY GRANDPARENTS’ WAR
  • TIMEWASTERS Season 2
  • ROOM

101 - 119 of 119 Posts