Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
CBC Music Festival returns to Toronto’s RBC Echo Beach for its seventh year on Saturday, May 25, 2019. See the press release for ticket prices and performers.

Fans outside the Greater Toronto Area can still enjoy the day’s performances via the CBC Music Festival live stream on cbcmusic.ca and via CBC Music’s Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages.

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
CBC Gem home screen refresh

As a result of this update, viewers using the CBC Gem apps for Android, iOS or Apple TV will need to update the free CBC Gem app in order to continue using the service.

----

CBC Gem will launch on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV on Monday, April 15. (Source)

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Glad to hear that the Amazon Fire TV stick is working as announced. The CBC Gem app is also supported on Fire TV enabled Toshiba televisions, however Android TV says coming soon, so it must have been delayed.

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Canada’s games at the 2019 World Para Ice Hockey Championships will be available as live streams with English commentary via the free CBC Gem streaming service and the CPC Facebook page, and via the Radio-Canada Sports app and radio-canada.ca/sports. In addition, both the gold and bronze-medal games will be livestreamed. CBC Sports will also offer the streaming coverage at cbcsports.ca and via the CBC Sports app for iOS and Android devices. (CBC Press Release)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Downloaded the Gem on Firestick. Works well. Quality is excellent. A lot of short commercials that pay the costs of the service unless you upgrade to paid premium service.

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Streaming This May on CBC Gem

NEW CBC GEM ORIGINAL CANADIAN SERIES:
• The 410 (Drama, 3x25, Mad Ruk Entertainment) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, May 2
• Detention Adventure (Tween action-adventure, 10x11, LoCo Motion Pictures and Broken Compass Films) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• I Ship It (10x11, PRODUCTION) – Seasons 1 & 2 begin streaming Friday, May 10
• The Ninth (Comedy, 8x10, The Artcraft Zoo) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, May 16
• The Mile Enders (Comedy, 4x20, Laurus Productions Inc.) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Friday, May 24

ASIAN HERITAGE MONTH COLLECTION
• The Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan (Travel, 4x60, Rumpus Media, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• Nadiya's Asian Odyssey (Travel/Lifestyle, 2x60, Wall to Wall, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• Nadiya's Family Favourites (Lifestyle/Food, 8x30, Hungry Gap Productions, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, May 3
• The Problem with Apu (documentary, duration, Marobru/Avalon, USA) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3

ACCLAIMED TITLES FROM AROUND THE WORLD
• Kiri (4x60, The Forge, UK) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 3
• On the Ropes (4x60, Lingo Pictures, Australia) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 3
• Back in Time for Dinner (6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 10
• Further Back in Time for Dinner (6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) ) – All episodes start streaming Friday, May 10

DOCUMENTARY & ARTS
• The Move (8x5) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Monday, April 29
• Take Me To Prom (21 Minutes) – starts streaming Wednesday, May 1 (premiering day-and-date with 2019 Hot Docs Festival)
• MINDING THE GAP (Kartemquin Films, USA) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3
• Dream Boxer (15 minutes) – Starts streaming Friday, May 10 (and at cbc.ca/cbcshortdocs)

CANADIAN FEATURE FILMS
• WEREWOLF (Grassfire Films, 2016) – Starts streaming Friday, May 3
• MODRA (pUNK FILMS, 2010) – Starts streaming Friday, May 10
• HOME AGAIN (Hungry Eyes Film & Television, 2012) – Starts streaming Friday, May 16
• FUBAR 2: BALLS TO THE WALL (FU2 Productions, 2010) – Starts streaming Friday, May 16
• TAKE THIS WALTZ (Joe's Daughter, 2011) – Starts streaming Friday, May 31

THE BEST OF CBC
• Past and current seasons of CBC series, including new Canadian drama hit CORONER, family drama NORTHERN RESCUE, original legal drama DIGGSTOWN, limited drama series UNSPEAKABLE; acclaimed comedies KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW and SCHITT’S CREEK; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, ANNE WITH AN E and HEARTLAND; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.

COMING IN JUNE
• Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver’s JAMIE’S 30 MINUTE MEALS
• Season 6 of Emmy-winning sketch comedy series PORTLANDIA created, written by and starring Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein
• Season 2 of Canadian comedy anthology series SAVE ME
• Special collections: Indigenous History Month and Pride

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hulu has ordered a 14-episode Season 2 of Pen15. (Deadline) Season 1 streams on Gem.

----

What devices are supported on CBC Gem?

They supported the round Chromecast and Chromecast Ultra since the beginning, but the older Chromecast stick or Chromecast (Google Cast) built into Smart TVs may experience issues.

Android TV version 6 or higher is now supported, including the NVIDIA Shield, Sony Bravia, and Sharp AQUOS Smart TVs

·
Registered
242 Posts
Tried it last night on my Nvidia Shield, good pic but audio seemed out of synch on a Kim's Convenience episode.. Tightened up as the show progressed

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
CBC’s first original kids scripted series for CBC Gem, DETENTION ADVENTURE (10x11) is now available to stream exclusively on the free CBC Gem streaming service. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The six-part, half-hour second season of the powerful youth-driven documentary series, Red Button, will be available to stream exclusively on CBC Gem beginning Friday, June 7. (Press Release)

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Streaming This June on CBC Gem

NEW CBC GEM ORIGINAL CANADIAN SERIES:
  • Mind Fudge (Comedy, 8x8, Vandal Media Inc.) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • Ming’s Dynasty (Comedy, 6x10, Touchpoint Films & 775 Media Corp) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, June 27
  • Ashbridge (Drama, 3x7, Raven West Films and YN films) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, June 27
  • Save Me (Comedy, 6x10, iThentic) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Thursday, June 27
NATIONAL INDIGENOUS HISTORY MONTH COLLECTION
  • Skindigenous (Documentary, 13x30, Nish Media) – All episodes begin streaming Monday, June 3
  • Sober House (Documentary, 1x20, Wendell Collier, Director) – Begins streaming Friday, June 3
  • Rhymes for Young Ghouls (Film, 1x88, Prospector Films) – Begins streaming Monday, June 3
  • Biidaaban: The Dawn Comes (Arts, 1x19, Spotted Fawn Productions) – Begins streaming Wednesday, June 5
  • Black Rock (Documentary, 1x15, Geordie Trifa, Director) – Begins streaming Friday, June 7
  • Bighetty & Bighetty (Documentary, 1x21, Andrew Wiens, Director) – Begins streaming Friday, May 31
  • Future History (Documentary, 13x30, Redcloud Studios Inc.) – Begins streaming Friday, June 21
PRIDE COLLECTION
  • My Prairie Home (1x76, National Film Board of Canada) – Begins streaming Friday, June 7
  • Hannah Gadsby's Nakedy Nudes (2x30, Barefoot Communications) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • Hannah Gadsby's Oz (3x30, Closer Productions) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • The Gospel According to Andre (1x94, Abstract Productions) – Begins streaming Saturday, June 15
  • Butterfly (3x60, Red Productions) – Begins streaming Sunday, June 16
DOCUMENTARIES
  • Red Button (Documentary, 6x8, Media Headquarters) – All episodes of Season 2 begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • You Can’t Ask That (8x30, Pixcom) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 14
  • Tizita (1x18, Gezahegn Mekkonnen Demissie, Director) – Begins streaming Thursday, June 27
ACCLAIMED FROM AROUND THE WORLD
  • Sick of It (Comedy, 6x30, Me & You Productions, Alrite Productions, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Monday, June 3
  • Das Boot (Drama, 8x60, Bavaria Fiction GbmH, Germany) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • Portlandia (Comedy, 10x30, Broadway Video, USA) – Season 6 begins streaming Friday, June 7
  • Back In Time For Tea (Lifestyle, 6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 7
  • Back In Time For The Weekend (Lifestyle, 6x60, Wall to Wall, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Thursday, June 27
KIDS & TWEEN PROGRAMMING
  • Find Me in Paris (Tween Drama, 26x26, Cottonwood Media, ZDF Enterprises, BE-FILMS) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 14
  • Thunderbirds Are Go (Animated kids series, 26x30, ITV Studios, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Friday, June 14
  • CBC Kids News segments featuring Canadian contributors aged 9-16, bringing young viewers daily news in pop culture, sports, science, technology and the environment.
JAMIE OLIVER COLLECTION
  • Jamie’s 30 Minute Meals (40x30, A Fresh One Production, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Monday, June 3
  • Jamie and Jimmy’s Food Fight Club (Seasons 1-3, A Fresh One Production, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Monday, June 3
  • Jamie’s Super Food (6x60, A Fresh One Production, UK) – All episodes begin streaming Monday, June 3
  • Jamie’s Sugar Rush (1x60, A Fresh One Production, UK) – Begins streaming Monday, June 3
THE BEST OF CBC
Past and current seasons of CBC series, including new Canadian drama hit CORONER, family drama NORTHERN RESCUE, original legal drama DIGGSTOWN, limited drama series UNSPEAKABLE; acclaimed comedies KIM’S CONVENIENCE, BARONESS VON SKETCH SHOW and SCHITT’S CREEK; crowd-pleasing dramas MURDOCH MYSTERIES, ANNE WITH AN E and HEARTLAND; and classic CBC hits like THE KIDS IN THE HALL and BEING ERICA.

COMING IN JULY
  • Special collections: CANADA DAY
  • Season 1 of UK documentary series TRAVEL MAN
  • Season 7 of PORTLANDIA

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Ah - I wondered if that new Thunderbirds series would land somewhere - my 6-year old has been watching the original 1960s show (and I've never seen it before either) on Tubi - and it stands up much better than I'd have thought!

I haven't seen the new version.

·
Super Moderator
16,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
CBC ANNOUNCES 2019-20 ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING SLATE

This is the portion of the press release focused on streaming. The following selection represents just some of the new titles that will launch on the streaming service this year.

CBC Gem Short Docs:
SHORT ROUND UP (Nobu Adilman, July 5)

CBC Gem Originals:
HOW TO BUY A BABY (10x10, Season 2, August 23 - LoCo Motion Pictures)
JENSPLAINING (10x12, August 23 - Peacock Alley Entertainment)

International Series:
CBC and CBC Gem will be the home for the Canadian premiere of WILD BILL (Drama, 6x60, 42, MultiStory Media and Anonymous Content, UK)

Additional acclaimed international series streaming on CBC GEM this year include the exclusive Canadian premieres of DAS BOOT (Drama, 8x60, Bavaria Fiction GbmH, Germany), the sequel to the original film, and doc parody series DOCUMENTARY NOW! (Comedy, Seasons 1-3, Broadway Video, USA); as well as THE LITTLE DRUMMER GIRL (Drama, 6x60, BBC Studios, AMC Studios, The Ink Factory and 127 Wall Productions, UK); UK thriller MOTHERFATHERSON (Drama, 8x60, BBC Studios and BBC Two Films, UK); and new seasons of LUTHER (Season 5) and PORTLANDIA (Seasons 6-8).

CBC LISTEN

The new CBC LISTEN app officially launches this fall as the one-stop destination for all CBC Music, CBC Podcasts and CBC Radio content. Audiences can hear their favourite local and national CBC Radio One and CBC Music shows, live or on-demand, for free, as well as access to more than 175 curated music playlists featuring brand-new releases from Canadian artists.

CBC PODCASTS

CBC Podcasts, Canada’s #1 podcaster with more than 20 million downloads on average each month, unveils a diverse slate of new and returning original podcasts for the upcoming year.

New original podcasts:
CHOSEN FAMILY (June 19, Season 2)
UNCOVER: THE CAT LADY CASE (July 9, Season 4)
UNCOVER: SHARMINI (September 10, Season 5)
HUNTING WARHEAD (Fall)
THE STORY STORE (Fall), a collaboration between CBC Podcasts and CBC Kids.
ASKING FOR IT (Winter), Kaitlin Prest (The Shadows)
SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING: IZZETT (Winter, Season 6)

Returning original podcasts:
TAI ASKS WHY (August 28, Season 2), 12-year-old Tai Poole returns to further explore answers to life’s biggest questions.
THE SECRET LIFE OF CANADA (October, Season 3), a new season of the history podcast about the country you know and the stories you don’t.
PLAYME (November, Season 3), a new season of the podcast that transforms Canadian plays into audio dramas.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ah - I wondered if that new Thunderbirds series would land somewhere - my 6-year old has been watching the original 1960s show (and I've never seen it before either) on Tubi - and it stands up much better than I'd have thought!

I haven't seen the new version.
DHX picked up the new series for linear on the Family Channels back in 2016. I'm not sure if they're still airing it or running new episodes, though.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts