1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The CBC did a fantastic job with this broadcast, first by using what I believe was the generic English feed staffed by professional commentators, and second by providing a highly reliable Internet feed which suffered very few video dropouts and practically no audio dropouts.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I watched the first 20-30 minutes on ABC but when I switched over to CBC the picture was much better (at least on Bell anyway)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Martin Tyler (abc) vs John Helm (cbc) and better picture (abc) = no brainer. ;)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I liked the announcing on CBC much better than ABC. As far as PQ, CBC looked great.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
What is also interesting are the streaming numbers:

- Semi-finals: 353,957 total, 159,000 concurrent
- Finals: 231,649 total (couldn't find concurrent numbers)

This is for the CBC only... The company streaming the event worldwide (Akamai) reported streaming traffic of 1.5Tb/s at peak with 1.6M concurrent streams. Pretty impressive! :cool:

I watched a few games on the net while at work and must admit that the quality was pretty good. Quite watchable IMO.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Overall the CBC did a good job but there is no doubt long time fans will have preferred the commentary of the final on ABC as John Helm adds nothing to the broadcasts, unless you count pointless chat about things other than football. (The same cannot be said for the half time stuff on ABC. Alexi Lalas and Chris Fowler are probably still sobbing about their precious Ghana being ousted by Uruguay).

One criticism I have of all British commentators (including non-English like Andy Gray) is that they don't seem to know anything about the sport beyond the overrated EPL and English football in general. I think Tyler, Helm and the rest - including the commentators on the Beeb and ITV - could talk longer about an obscure sub who once played for Millwall or West Brom than they could about all the players in Spain and Germany put together. It would be nice if the poor performances by EPL players and England would lead some British commentators and analysts who get to do international tournaments like the WC to reflect on their obsession with the EPL to the exclusion of other leagues, but I know it won't happen.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Watching "soccer" on ABC is like watching hockey on NBC. No thanx.
Nah, I think that listening to John Helm call a game is like listening to Joe Buck call the Super Bowl; no matter how long he has been calling the sport, he is still terrible at it. I'll take Martin Tyler and Efan Ekoku (two Brits BTW) over him any day of the week. Tyler is right there with Jim Nantz (NFL), Chris Cuthbert (CFL & NHL) and Mike Breen (NBA) as the guy who I want calling the big game. There isn't a better football commentator in the (English speaking) world.

I did prefer CBC's studio show, considering that I can't stand Lalas and McManaman. A studio of Mike Tirico, Ruud Gullit and Roberto Martinez would have been better.

Andrew, I agree with you somewhat. I found that Kevin Keatings particularly does it. It seemed that every game he commentated on, he had to mention every player who played in the Premier League and what team they played for. He didn't do it so much for players who played elsewhere. Then again, they all commentate on Premier League (and even Championship) matches all season, so its somewhat excusable. Think about it, how much do we know about the Kontinental Hockey League or Nippon Professional Baseball (albeit the gap between football leagues and leagues in other sports isn't as big).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kind of off topic guys. We have a FIFA programming thread for discussion of announcers. I created this thread to highlight the huge increase in overall audiences.

I'm curious as to why the 2010 edition of World Cup soccer drew so much higher audiences.

Any thoughts on that one?

·
Registered
320 Posts
One of the reasons is the new people meters. Among other things, they bring the ability to measure a good percentage of viewership in public places, unlike set top devices or (shudder) diaries.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure the meters are a factor but if that was the only factor then it means the old audience were off by 100% which may be the truth but ....

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I'd say that PPMs resulted in a bit of an increase, as did the fact that it was on CBC instead of TSN/Sportsnet (as it was in 2006). Otherwise I'd say its mostly because the World Cup has been trending upwards, just look at these numbers from the past four finals

2010, Netherlands vs. Spain, 2:30pm ET: 5.13 million (CBC)
2006, Italy vs. France, 2:00pm ET: 2.84 million (CTV)
2002, Brazil vs. Germany, 7:00am ET: 1.08 million (CBC)
1998, Brazil vs. France, 3:00pm ET: 1.55 million (TSN)

Overall average audiences for the 2010 World Cup were also double what they were in 2006.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The CBC was really selling the world cup hard, for months before the tournament. They were pushing it on radio and web, and in their newscasts and other programming. This may have piqued the interest of casual fans, who would not have seen promos on the sports channels. I don't think CTV and Rogers were promoting as much in 2006.

Also I know my girlfriend and parents don't have cable, and watched lots of games. Last time around, my folks were only able to watch the final on CTV.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I bet Canadian audiences grew even more than those numbers indicate. In 2006 the only reason to watch the final on ABC was if you didn't get CTV HD. This year ABC had first class coverage, hiring top English commentators and bringing in analysts like Steven McManaman and Roberto Martinez. I'm sure a lot of Canadians watched the game on ABC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts