Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably the best Canadian Drama I have seen in years.
The acting is believable, and the story is kind of Ally McBeal meets Quantum Leap. The main lead gets sent back to fix things she feels were turning points in her life.
I recommend folks give it a try and add it to their PVR weekly recordings.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Thanks for the info. I had decided to skip this series but I will add it to my PVR list based on your recommendation.

If anyone is interested, the series opener repeats on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It is a reasonable fill-in while many of the regular shows are on a break. Will see if it is a keeper after a few episodes.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I really enjoyed it! Although I'm biased, cos I've had a thing for the very cute Erin Karpluk ever since seeing her in the Vancouver-shot "Godiva's", a show I loved. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing more trips and some kind of explanation of how and why it can happen -- although a thoroughly grounded and scientific explanation is not what I mean.

It took me a while to warm up to Michael Riley's character, but I did eventually. The show is sometimes whimsical and sometimes serious. For now, this show's a keeper for me!

cheers,
supervij

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks magnet. My wife and I watched the first episode and found it definitely worth a second look.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like "Being Erica" too. The other new one "Wild Roses" hasn't quite hooked me yet but I'm watching it hoping for better scripts and to see if the characters gain another dimension eventually. Looks nice. Calgary is long overdue for a Dallas soap-opera treatment.

I actually think that "Heartland" pretty darn good. The characters in that show are all fleshed out and complete and there's lots of appeal.

"Being Erica" is going to have trouble staying fresh with such a narrow theme, but I'm hoping for the best. Canada can produce some very good programming and I'm happy to see it expanding.

Still want "Intelligence" back. I really miss that one.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
put in the deals forum but for anyone who missed the first episode of Being Erica or Wild Roses, both shows first episode are free right now on iTunes.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
We've enjoyed the 2 episodes we've seen.

Being a light, "suspension of disbelief" kind of show in the same vein as Eli Stone I don't think there are too many storyline ruts they can fall into since they can just reframe the mystical/supernatural element of it to suit.

Heck she might even end up in Mercy, Saskatchewan some day. ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Not bad. I'm just wondering how many more (if any) times I would be able to swallow the "Erica goes back in time and reaffirms her past choices" theme. Regardless of whether this makes her a better person or not, if it happens once again in the third episode, I'm done with this show. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Didn't see it but was tremendously impressed with how much advertising push CBC gave this series. It is promoted everywhere I go here in the city of Toronto. Too many good Canadian productions on tv and in theatres don't get sampled because nobody ever knows they exist.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I had forgotten about this series, but decided to check out the CBC again this week. I sat through another show too, called "Sophie" - same evening, I think. What?!? How did both of these series end up on CBC? And they constantly complain about budget shortages!
Is there anyone who can handle this much estrogen in primetime? :)

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess your eyes were burning with the lesbian scene this week :eek:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I guess your eyes were burning with the lesbian scene this week :eek:
Huh? Unfortunately, I probably have watched the recorded one from the week before. I guess I removed the timer for this show right before it got interesting.
I'll have to find and watch this week's episode somehow. Thanks for the tip! ;)
Of course, my interest in CBC lately is strictly because of the superior HD quality of their channel on BEV. The excellent picture made me start watching even "Wild Roses". :)

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CBC is becoming the new Showcase....
and Showcase is becoming the new Global.

Something I do like about Canadian TV over our prudish friends to the South.

·
Super Moderator
16,883 Posts
Arthur Dent, see post 5 for the link to the CBC streaming video site. Or you could always find a torrent if you want better quality.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts