Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
blah, blah, blah. Competition is good and the CRTC should get out of the business of deciding what stations should and shouldn't be on air.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
That's why I think TSN started this channel. They probably won't use it for many time shifting purposes once the CRTC drops the one station for each category rule. They probably just want a head start so when the rules are changed they can show more live programming, as well as talk shows.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's why I think TSN started this channel. They probably won't use it for many time shifting purposes once the CRTC drops the one station for each category rule.
That's one of the fundamental principals of the licensing system. It could change, but I'd be surprised.

They probably just want a head start so when the rules are changed they can show more live programming, as well as talk shows.
It's a lot of effort to get a head start on something that may never happen. I think they believe they've found a loophole where they can make some more money.

It was just a matter of time before the competiton complained. The CRTC never intended the license to allow a TSN2. It will be interesting to see what they do.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sadly the CBC and Score are just playing the CRTC game - Try and prove the station is competing with an existing station and block it.

If I was Score or CBC, I'd be doing the same thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I doubt open competition is the answer. It certainly hasn't helped the financial sector, as this week's news clearly shows. And I'm not sure it has helped American television which, with very few notable exceptions, is pretty dismal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doublespeak by TSN does NOT change the facts ...

The point is: TSN is reneging on their contract with the CFL, the purpose of which is to make Canadian Football League games available for viewing by Canadians ... ostensibly their logic is that they have contractual obligations to air the Ryder Cup (who determined which of their contractual broadcasts got booted to the second network?) Well, you know what? I like golf, but I want my CFL ... a) TSN2 is not available where I live, and b) if it was available, I should have to pay my cable company MORE to see a game that TSN is obligated to broadcast? The south end of the bull has evacuated!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If TSN 2 is just their East/West version, they should not get more money for a channel with 90% re-run content. Simple as that. They want it both ways.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I thought I heard the CRTC was scheduled to have hearings about the genre protection this fall. Maybe I didn't.

I think they've found a loophole in the CRTC as well. I give them credit for that, I always like it when a network can outsmart them.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TSN should have to pay to license TSN2. Rules are rules.
What should they have to pay?

If TSN 2 is just their East/West version, they should not get more money for a channel with 90% re-run content. Simple as that. They want it both ways.
I guess Rogers agrees with you. Good for them. It gives customers a choice.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I thought I heard the CRTC was scheduled to have hearings about the genre protection this fall. Maybe I didn't.
Actually, genre protection was discussed at the hearings that the CRTC held in April regarding specialty channels and BDU's. The decision was to come down in the fall supposedly, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?! September has come and gone and still no decision, it has been 5 months since this damn hearing ended and still no decision- what the heck is taking so long to release the decision. There must be some backroom politics of some sort going on for it to take this long. I am eager to see what rule changes they introduce, if any. Oh well, maybe something will come down in October?!

Regarding the topic of discussion, if the CRTC lifts the genre protection which I am hoping they do, then CBC and The Score don't have a logical complaint. Canadian channels will be allowed to compete with one another meaning TSN2 will be allowed to exist. Under current rules they do have a basis for a complaint as TSN2 is essentially TSN-West but I don't see the CRTC doing anything about it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Actually, genre protection was discussed at the hearings that the CRTC held in April regarding specialty channels and BDU's. The decision was to come down in the fall supposedly, so maybe that is what you are thinking of?!
Yep that was what I was thinking. I knew I heard the rules could change.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The score is finally moving there buts, they've changed all there sports update shows to actual HD, have tons of college football, and have reduced the size of the ticker during events. :D

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
The score is finally moving there buts, they've changed all there sports update shows to actual HD, have tons of college football, and have reduced the size of the ticker during events.
1 NCAA game/week is tons of college football? Gimmie a break. They should be showing 2-3 games per week at least, or give up their license to someone like TSN2. I still can't believe Aussi Millions Poker is more popular than Collede Gameday.

Edit:ESPN (the main channel, not 2 or U) has the following games this week, of which we get 1:
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and 2 Saturday night...5 games. There's also 4 ABC games this week, and The Score could probably pick the best one of those to show as well, but they don't.
Im actually emailing The Score today to complain about their lack of coverage.

I haven't noticed a reduced ticker, but will watch on thursday.

·
Banned
364 Posts
I think the point is that The Score is complaining about TSN2, but The Score does little to be competitive with TSN on the live events front.

Most of the NCAA games shown on The Score are already in HD on the Super Sports Pack, which does show a decent amount of NCAA games, although they could show more, especially in HD, as there are few other sports on Saturday afternoons at this time of year.

As for CBS College Sports, they get the bottom of the barrel games. If you like watching Navy football, it's for you (they have an agreement to show all Navy home games).

Big Ten Network is OK (I'm not a Big Ten fan), but it's regional, so you'd only get one or two football games a week. Most Big Ten games are at noon, and the rest are usually ABC or ESPN games shown nationally. There's a lot of filler on both of those channels.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts