Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just switched from Bell Canada because I told them I wanted them to meet the deal rogers was offdering me. Instead, for the advantage of not disrupting service I agreed to stay with Bell FOR A HIGHER MONTHLY CHARGE but an end to long distance gouging. I would pay through the nose for 4 - 5 minutes long distance in North America. The change was promised in October. It was not on Novembers bill, Bell said that was because it was a transition problem but would be reflected on Decembers bill, it was not, I called and was given more promises of correction but December was even higher. I called and said they had not honoured my contract and I was leaving. On the way out they hit me with numerious minor charges but I let it go. They even put my final bill up for collection on the 5th of Feb and it had a due date of the 9th. I paid that same hour. The last straw. Feb 25 2010, to my shock,a bill from Bell, $150 DEACTIVATION FEE. I am going to the CRTC with this one! Bell has charged our business for 8 years for a modem we never rented from them. They insisted we had so I asked for the serial #, “Oh, you don’t have a bell modem!” RIGHT!!! But they would not credit even one month of those rental fees, much less the 8 years they were stealing from us. I just changed over at our business and now know an other wopper from Bell will hit us there. IF you are considering switching service. Talk to Bell about contract requirements and deactivation fees!!! Then, tell Rogers or whom ever, you will let them install only after you personally end your relationsghip with Bell. Rogers knows about this, that is why they say, “don’t call Bell, we will arrange the change over” RIGHT!! AND IT WILL COST YOU $150.!! BE CAREFULL , they will both F you in the heart! But Bell is the worst I’ve seen by way of corporate crooks!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
When I switched they insisted that I had some piece of equipment (a multi-switch) that I had to return. I was living in a Phoenix house that came with the "Millenium" package, which included a BEV sattelite and two 2700 receivers. Because Phoenix arranged this deal for a large number of homes, they incorrectly put us into the MDU (multiple dewlling unit) category. Every time I wanted to try to change some programming I had to spend a half hour on the phone convincing them that I was not in an apartment building. The expensive piece of equipment (they billed me for $700) was probably something you require to feed a high number of customers from a single dish. Obviously I did not have that, but I did have two 2700s that I turned over to the Rogers installer as part of the ditch the dish exchange. At first I thought that was the equipment they wanted back and thought there's no way in hell a pair of 4-year old 2700s could be worth that much. Besides, in my opinion, I had paid for those because they came with the house. There was not a sinbgle piece of paper I had signed to indicate that I was leasing this equipment, and none of my BEV bills had any rental units itemized on the bill (I have to admit, their bill was a lot simpler than Rogers). They also have a policy that you have to give them 30 days' notice before canceling. This is weird to me, since they can turn on a service and charge me for it immediately, and they collect their bills in advance. So I had already paid for all of April and they wanted to charge me for something like 4 days into May (I was a little late calling in to cancel -- Monday instead of Thursday or something like that).

Bottom line, I refused to pay them. They called and called, tried to convince me that it was not worth ruining my credit rating over this. I can see their point about the smaller charge (the overhang of 4 days) but I felt I had already paid for all of April and hadn't used any of it (since I had switched to Rogers that Friday) and, frankly, I just dug in my heels.

As for the larger charge, I asked them on numerous occasions to produce any piece of paper with my signature on it confirming the rental/lease of this equipment. When I realized they were not asking about the 2700s I tried to convince them that I was in a single house and had no use for such a switch. When the collection agency called one Friday evening at supper and said they were coming over tomorrow morning (Saturday) to collect either the equipment or the $700 I had enough. I told them that I didn't have this equipment, had told Bell on a number of occasions that I never had it, and that I considered these phone calls as harassment and was calling the CRTC. I then called Bell and told them the same thing. Then I sent an e-mail to the CRTC.

The next time I hear from Bell was when they tried to get me to come back. My credit is still intact.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, same thing happened here about a year ago. I changed to a 'long distance' plan... The next bill they charged me for this plan... plus charged me long distance as previously not on the plan. That bill was DOUBLE what it should have been. I figured no problem, I'll call and get it straightened out. They admitted the error and then demanded that I pay the bill in full and they'd credit the amount next bill. Uh... no, not, ain't gonna happen. Again, I requested that they re-issue the bill with the correct amount. I was told this was impossible. Good job, bell!
I moved to vonage and I`ve never been happier with my phone!! 20 bucks a month and great features. I get my voicemail via email... It does require a robust internet connection to work nice, but again the price and features make it well worth the extra spent on internet.
Bell lost an over 20 year customer who ALWAYS paid the bills on time over their billing stupidity. I`ll NEVER go back, and enjoy telling this to as many people as possible. :cool:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I cancelled my Bell home phone service last year in response to their continuing to call me trying to get me to take other services. It took a complaint to the CRTC and some communication with Bell's executive office to get the calls to stop. I made it quite clear to them that I cancelled because of the calls and that I'd never do business with them again. So, again, their objectional behaviour cost them a long time (over 35 years) customer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Travisc: CRTC / CCTS

CCTS said to go to CRTC, CRTC said they will forward to CCTS if that is the correct department. GOVERNMENT AGENCIES!! Go figure?! I am not paying this one! I gave 60-90 days notice, they never honored our contract so therefore I had NO contract to be honoured and at no time was I warned about this charge when I told them I was leaving. I am not paying this, let em take me to court. I'll fight it there!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
The problem is with Bell is that they outsource their call centers to places like India and even 3rd party companies in Canada. I have a relative that works for a company in Hamilton that does billing/collections for Bell. Because of this many of the people you speak to on the phone don't really know the product as well as they should and half the time don't know how to do anything other then the most basic changes.

If Bell would actually hire their own employees in Canada and train them properly on all their products, this kind of nonsense wouldn't happen so much.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Welcome to a brave new world where an ideal company has a team of executives and an army of low cost contractors.

We had a call from the Bell customer loyalty dept (I think that's what she said) to offer us cheaper internetz. My wife passed me the phone as she thinks it must be a scam. I made her repeat everything about 5 times and I think she was starting to get annoyed with me. Basically they offered me a $17 discount for the next 12 months and then $7 from there on. I admit we are overpaying for our internet but up until very recently my business was footing the bill so it made little difference to me. Needless to say I'm still apprehensive but if this ends up biting me in the a$$ my Bell internet, landline and Bell TV are gone.

That's the age we are living in though. Trust nothing, especially big business, especially Canadian monopoly communications businesses :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to a brave new world where an ideal company has a team of executives and an army of low cost contractors.

We had a call from the Bell customer loyalty dept (I think that's said) to offer us cheaper internetz. My wife passed me the phone as she thinks it must be a scam. I made her repeat everything about 5 times and I think she was starting to get annoyed with me. Basically they offered me a $17 discount for the next 12 months and then $7 from there on. I admit we are overpaying for our internet but up until very recently my business was footing the bill so it made little difference to me. Needless to say I'm still apprehensive but if this ends up biting me in the a$$ my Bell internet, landline and Bell TV are gone.

That's the age we are living in though. Trust nothing, especially big business, especially Canadian monopoly communications businesses :)
YUP!!! I have now posted a "Protect yourself from service providers" here on this board. It is a list I compiled as I read through all the various problems I and as lot of others have encounted in the world of service providers. You can not ask to many questions! Bell had had me as a loyal customer for 35 YEARS! What idiots. There is no such thing as respect for time and loyalty in today's world. The worst of it is, I feel that any time I want to buy into a service I'm walking into a mine field. Its all become so complex and so easy to NOT ASK a needed question. I asm getting near to paranoia as regards any corporation. I trust none of them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
"Its all become so complex and so easy to NOT ASK a needed question. I asm getting near to paranoia as regards any corporation. I trust none of them."

I find that I trust almost all the companies I deal with. In fact, I allow most of them to make automatic monthly withdrawals from my bank account with no hesitation.

And then there are a very small number of companies which I do not trust at all, but these I can count on the fingers of one hand. Bell is one such company. I do not allow Bell to make any withdrawals, and I avoid contacting them at all costs, because it seems that invariably a mistake will be made, and the mistake will almost always be in their favor. With most companies I never have to read the fine print, because I trust that they operate on common sense, but that has not been my experience with Bell.

I have a feeling that if I am with Rogers, I may feel that same way given all of the negative complaints against them as well, but I am just guessing. It is not a surprise that the telecom/BDU industry has now overtaken the airlines as the most untrustworthy companies in the public's eye.

·
Registered
283 Posts
does Bell and rogers telus ETC even read these forums? you would think they would get a clue eventually... but noooooooo they just get more worst and worst... heck today I got a call on my TV bill that I was late(I was but I totaly forgot...) and made the payment.... then no more than 10 min later some one else called me and said that I was a Excellent customer and they would like to sign me up for phone service... lol and internet.... I told them that when bell stops throttling torrents maybe I would consider.... lol cuse that fiber16 service does look interesting... with that 5$ insurance plan...would be way cheaper than my videotron...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Several Bell shills read this forum. They all have the same attitude. They think their customers are mistaken, or have overlooked something or are just plain stupid.

·
Registered
961 Posts
There are also several Bell employees on this forum who take time outside of their work hours to help the readers here in whatever way they are able.

You shouldn't lump all employees into the same basket just because you've had a bad experience.

Nem, who has dealt with a great many good Bell employees.

P.S. Bell doesn't specifically throttle torrents

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was with bell internet for about 15 years, then I switched, but I keep getting promotional stuff from them, which is kinda wierd because they should know I was with them and left.
My cell phone is still with bell, but that contract will be up in May.
but they have kinda ruffled my feathers with that now too, So I am now in the process to look for a new cell provider, But its like choosing one devil
over another. hard to find the right deal sometimes, and once you sign your soul over to themm for another contract the same crap starts again

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
There are also several Bell employees on this forum who take time outside of their work hours to help the readers here in whatever way they are able.
Yes, I know. You are one of the helpful ones and I don't consider you a shill.

I refer to others that blindly defend Bell and think most complaints against Bell are unjustified.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Doesn't throttle?

Bell doesn't specifically target torrents?

Thats weird, because I can get 700k downloading a patch for something at 7pm, but at 4pm like clockwork every day any torrent I may be running magically drops to 30 up/30 down.... weird.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Bell doesn't specifically target torrents?

Thats weird, because I can get 700k downloading a patch for something at 7pm, but at 4pm like clockwork every day any torrent I may be running magically drops to 30 up/30 down.... weird.

Bell does throttle, but not specifically/only torrents.
Your DL speed is going to depend on what you're downloading and where it's coming from as well. The two things noted above are not really similar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.