Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished my basement, so now I need a 2nd receiver. After reading all the comments on the horrible quality of the coax/HPNA interconnects I really want to use an RJ45 connection between the receivers.

A few questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer before I talk to MTS and prewire the required connections:

• Does MTS have to install the box or can I do it myself
  • How does the Cat 5 interconnect work? Can i hook it into my own network switch (which is connected to the 2wire) or does it have to go directly into the gateway

·
Super Moderator
16,885 Posts
Did you see this thread? It includes a couple of switches. My Home Network including MTS TV.

I can offer educated guesses to your questions.

I doubt MTS will let you do a self-install. They probably don't have the procedures in place to do that. I tried to do that with MTS Classic when all the wiring was in place from a previous install and they wouldn't do it.

If you have RG6 coax and properly installed connectors you shouldn't have a problem. Just insist that the installer does the HPNA test like he's supposed to.

Officially, MTS will probably consider a network with customer-provided switches as unsupported. If you pre-wire your basement with Cat5, the installer will likely use what is there, whether there is a switch there or not.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link Dr. Dave, I'll post here again when I get the 2nd receiver with results. I've got network jacks all over the place so I'll definately be pushing the installer to utilize them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cat5 to 2nd mts reciever

there are only 4 ports on the mts 2wire ( the wireless router & modem for both tv & enet ), 1 port is needed to feed the pvr with cat5 , and the remainder for internet devices, coax will work fine ( cable companys use it for their high speeds ;)) as long as good compession connectors are used , dont use copper braided coax .....strive for direct runs , but if splitters are necessary use HPNA grade splitters and high grade inline connectors

1 - 4 of 4 Posts