Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have read all three of these methods work with some being more stable than others.

The first method uses High Frequency splitters with power pass to separate all four lines into 8 lines which then feeds two SW44 switches.

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work below was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
example of HF splitter.

There are many different models but the most important things are power pass and frequency range up to at least 2150 Mhz

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The next method is using two SW34 switch's or multiswitch's to input the 2 91 and 82 lines and output four from each into two SW44 switches which will allow 8 outputs or tuners. I have read this method is more reliable than using high frequency splitters. You can also use two SW38 switches and four SW44 switches for a total of 16 tuners.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The last method using legacy lnbs is using a SW44a switch and a SW44 switch. Four lines go into the powered SW44a switch and four lines output from there into the SW44 input. Each switch will allow 4 tuners.

As far as I know this is not supported by bell while the other two methods are.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It’s really great to have this information in one place. Thanks.

You may wish to point out that the use of the third version (with the sw44a) is not officially supported by Bell, but does work.

I use the second version with two sw24 switches. I feed the first pair of outputs to a sw44, but feed the second pair to two sw21 switches. This way I get 6 outputs with both 82 and 91 satellite feeds. I am too cheap to buy an extra sw44 and don’t need the extra 2 outputs. No problems, works great.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hi guys.
Long time no see.

Thanks for the thread and I think I have what it takes to follow diagram #1 for hooking up a second 9200.

My question is ,will the Holland HFS-2p 2-way splitter 5-2150MHz work as a High Frequency splitter with power pass ?
I'm assuming so because I took what ever I had from the old house and will install it at the new place.

Thanks alot in advance.
Geoff

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geoff,

I googled the splitter and it looks to be powerpass on both ports which is what you want.

You know a splitter is powerpass when it says something like power, DC, or along those lines. Most have a solid line showing power pass as well.

·
Q, you say you need Power Pass on BOTH ports yet the image in Post #2 is Power Pass on the Right hand side ONLY.!

In my experience, Power passing on 1 port does work but they have to be wired in a very specific way, I am trying to track down that particular drawing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe this has done discussed before, with the final recommendation being to use splitters with only one port power passing, and to connect all the power passing ports to the same sw44 switch. Home Deport sell the splitters for around $9. I have not tried this myself, went the sw24 route.

·
Yes it has been discussed before and I will state once again that in my opinion and the hundreds of installations I saw done on a monthly basis, that 1 port Power Passing will ONLY work correctly under ALL circumstances in one very specific configuration, I will post this drawing when I find it.

Otherwise, using ALL 2 Port Power Passing splitters works just fine. This is what you will get if Express Vu carry out the installation of 2 x SW44's.

I still prefer to use 2 x SW34's for any 2 x SW44 installations, this was the "norm" for all Express Vu VIP installations, so I feel it should also be the "norm" for the regular guy as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
sorry guys ,, you're *****'n me up.
Can I follow diagram 1 with my splitters or is something else recomended?
Again , I believe all that was used was the splitters configured the same as the first diagram.
Thanks again in advance
Geoff

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The splitter shown was from the Dish Tech forum. I personally would agree with Nimiq 1 and have all ports power passing. I will find a picture next week and ask hugh to replace it to avoid confusion.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The splitter shown was from the Dish Tech forum. I personally would agree with Nimiq 1 and have all ports power passing. I will find a picture next week and ask hugh to replace it to avoid confusion.
I also agree 100%. I have been running this set-up for 2.5 years (since the 9200 has been out) with absolutely no problems. I believe Nimiq 1 mentioned one time that using two SW24's will also work instead of four splitters.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes it has been discussed before and I will state once again that in my opinion and the hundreds of installations I saw done on a monthly basis, that 1 port Power Passing will ONLY work correctly under ALL circumstances in one very specific configuration, I will post this drawing when I find it.
From my understanding of how the SW44s work, the constraints on wiring using either one-port-passing or all-ports-passing splitters are exactly the same. It should not be required that all power-passing branches of one-port-passing splitters connect to the same SW44, as mentioned by impeyr (though that would be the natural, clean way to install them). To confirm this, just now I rewired my set-up so that one of my Home Depot one-port-passing splitters takes its passed power from a different SW44 than the others. Everything still works fine, as confirmed by a check-switch operation on the receivers fed by each SW44.

It is only necessary that both outputs of each splitter (regardless of type) go to the same input port of each SW44. For example, a single splitter must feed input port 1A on each SW44; you must not have a single splitter feed, say, port 1A on one SW44 and port 1B on the other.

Details: The SW44 supplies 13 volts to its inputs 1A and 2A, to select the odd transponders (left-hand polarization) from orbital positions 91 degrees and 82 degrees, respectively. It supplies 18 volts to its inputs 1B and 2B, to select the even transponders (right-hand polarization) from orbital positions 91 degrees and 82 degrees, respectively.

As long as each splitter connects to the same port on each SW44, it will receive the same voltage from each each SW44, to be passed on to the LNB (whether from both branches of the splitter or only one).

If, on the other hand, an all-ports-passing splitter is connected to port 1A on one SW44 and 1B on the other SW44, it will receive 13V from one and 18V from the other. Presumably the other 91 degree splitter in this case will be connected to the complementary ports (1B and 1A), and also receive conflicting voltages. Both ports of the LNB will end up receiving the same voltage (whatever those splitters pass when receiving two different voltages), rather than the distinct voltages needed to select the odd and even transponders.

If you make the same type of mixup with one-port-passing splitters, you end up supplying the wrong set of channels to the respective ports on one of the SW44s.

I am very nervous about contradicting Nimiq 1, who has vast experience in this field, so please note that I prefaced my comments with "From my understanding of how the SW44s work...". If my understanding or conclusions are wrong, please gently point out where.

·
Stan Dev, I appreciate your time and effort in this venture. You have basically done what I did in my "lab" many many moons ago.

I also note that you carried out a Check switch on all receivers after the changes were made, we did this also bit only after we hooked up 8 Tuners to 8 TV's and left them running for a period of time, allowing people to change channels as they wanted to did any errors appear and only then when all the splitters were of the 1 Port Power Passing type, with ALL Power Passing Ports going to 1 SW44. I have no idea why but it just did not work 100% of the time, there would be occasions when 1 TV would go "looking for signal".

We found that changing just the outputs on one splitter, to feed the Power Passing Port to the other SW44, the problem never re-occurred.

I never really sat down and tried to work out why, other things took my time but trust me it was very odd and made no sense then, just like it makes no sense now. To make matters even worse, it had to be 1 specific Splitter. I have a copy of this drawing that we circulated around the Techs but it is in my office, I will share it with the Forum as soon as I get it scanned in.

If anyone can explain it, then thats great, if not maybe we were just unlucky in the first several configurations but I stress that the testing was done over a period of weeks if not months and problems almost never materialized immediately.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Nimiq 1. So, it's one of those non-reproducible problems that are such a bear to debug? It is definitely counterintuitive, because channel changes at the receivers are supposed to have zero effect on the interaction between the SW44s and the splitters and the LNBs, which always stay pinned at the same upstream voltages and the same downstream content (polarity/set of transponders).

Any chance you just had a flaky splitter, or a batch of flaky splitters, in your test setup?

I look forward to seeing your diagram.

·
As all the splitters were supplied by Express Vu, you could well be correct that we had some flaky ones.....lol

I did say that it defied logic, didn't I....lol

1 - 20 of 368 Posts