Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. i apologize if this is answered already elsewhere.. searching didn't come up (tried capping, streaming, recording..)..

I currently have Rogers - and to record shows from the stb to my computer, we have to stream them via firewire port. I was debating switching to Bell Satellite, but wanted to know how this would work via Bell.. is it still via firewire? I saw comments about an external drive - but I'm assuming it must be encrypted?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There are no firewire ports on any Bell TV Receivers. The only way to capture the Video and Audio would be via Composite or "S" Video for SD and Component for HD.

Any external drive is indeed encrypted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DON'T DO IT! Unless you intend to go with an HD reciever don't do it. Bell's SD reciever and PVR's are garbage. I'm currently on my 5th or 6th in the last 5 years. My most recent one lasted 18 days before it started to act up and if my replacement is the same I'm moving to *Choice.

Bell TV is not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Your comments are ridiculous, your receiver is an older model 5800, please stick to the subject of this thread and keep rants about your 5800 to the Bell TV rant thread.

99.999% of Bell receivers are fine SD & HD, PVR or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Bell 4700 attached to computer

I use a Bell 4700 attached to my computer by component cable. I have a media centre PC and it can control the 4700 using Zap2it guide to record show.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I think you mean Composite cables Harryhoo but i will forgive you......lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can also get it directly off your PVR if you have a 9241 or 9242 (and probably others) that have the INTERNAL hard drive.

Unfortunately I don't think its possible to grab it off any external PVRs.

Anyways, there's a thread here that describes how to do it. I've done it before myself. Its not the easiest (involves booting your receiver, then opening the case, then unplugging the internal hdd from your receiver and plugging it into your PC, then running software on PC).

This is the thread that discusses it:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18583

You might want to start in this post from that thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=780364#post780364
and go forwards and backwards in there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts