Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
^
You don't even need the internet. Digital OTA and TV on DVD have worked well for me to boycott the cable scam.

I suspect the BDU's go along with it because they get a cut of the profit as well and donnt consider the long term losses from customers who'll never come back.

It's a shame Astral doesn't oppoe this by at least requesting the TMN pack be ordered standalone from cable since they actually make channels worth buying. Ditto for Channel Zero.

·
Banned
844 Posts
The one thing that I don't get is why the providers are going along with this scam?
Maybe because they are part of it. ;)

Rogers owns specialty channels as well as being a cable provider. Same goes for Quebecor who run Videotron in Quebec and also own several specialties. Out west, Shaw owns both a cable AND satellite service as well as specialty channels via Corus Entertainment and pretty soon will also own the Canwest & their specialty channels.

As you see, there is no difference in Canada between broadcaster and provider because they are one and the same!

·
Banned
296 Posts
Same goes for Quebecor who run Videotron in Quebec and also own several specialties.
Vidéotron offers À La Carte option to their customers since 1999. Only requirement is to choose a minimum of 50% Canadian channels. Their basic service includes ONLY the basic channels from the CRTC list (OTA+community+CPAC+Weather+CBCNN+APTN) so you're not forced to pay for specialties YTV, Treehouse and Rogers Sportsnet right off the basic service.

Back to the subject, e-mail your service provider, ask them that you'd want à la carte option, tell them you don't want to pay for Showcase, tell them you don't want to be forced to pay for such a low-quality rerun service.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Makes me feel nostalgic for the way the channel used to be. Always saw it as a channel that went against the grain when everything else was starting to look the same. It stood out. Seems a rarity these days.

·
Registered
606 Posts
InMontreal - what does Videotron charge for this ultra basic package and what do the ala carts start at?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts