1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't think this means that Showcase will be any worse than it is now, they have some exciting new series coming. Haven looks really good, and Shattered will only be available in HD on Showcase for some. They also will be airing cable premieres of Burn Notice (which has sporadically aired on Super Channel) beginning in the fall.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Remember when "edgy" meant airing internationall movies uncut (but 'time expanded' to allow for commercials)? Yeah, it was a superb channel that Atlantis Alliance wrecked over 10 years ago (or whenever they stopped to be a failing clone of the US' FX cable channel).

Looks like the amateurish new logo didn't work.

·
Banned
310 Posts
When will the reruns of Global's stolen US reality shows be running on Showcase?

We all know it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
IIRC (and I'm quite certain of it!), Showcase Television was licensed by the CRTC as "Canada's first and only all-fiction channel".

Although in the "heyday" of the channel, they'd air things like 'Taxi Cab Confessions' and other unscripted programming from HBO (rather paytv adult-fare)... and this was before crap faux-"reality" TV like 'Survivor' had debuted.

·
Registered
311 Posts
okay, first they change the showcase channel style, now a new name? What is this stuff about doing a new channel. I said new because i didn't want to used the other word for Re....
So, they change prime for tvtropolis, and now showcase what will it become? Not happy at all....

·
Registered
13 Posts
To pappcam:
They already have their new Global Reality Channel for that. I have it as a free preview. From what I can tell, this weekend's schedule for Global Reality is solid, non-stop Big Brother all day and all night.

And Rogers didn't have the courtesy to FedEx me a gun with a single bullet with that free preview!

·
Registered
510 Posts
all that work into the new logo, and now a new name change for Showcase?? This should be interesting.
When will the name change occur?

New name: possibly the "Global Drama Channel" or something ;)

·
Banned
844 Posts
It looks like everyone is a bit confused here?! The re-brand they are talking about in the article has already happened. Earlier in the year Canwest changed the Showcase logo and at the same time made a change in the programming, that is what they are referring to NOT another re-brand now. Looks like whomever wrote the article didn't do a very good job.

Re-brand or not this channel was wrecked from the time Canwest first got their hands on it. Originally it was licensed to air the best fictional programming from AROUND THE WORLD! Now it airs programming exclusively from the US, with a few original shows thrown in for good measure.

Hopefully, someone else will come along and launch a channel that is similar to the Original Showcase.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
It looks like everyone is a bit confused here?! The re-brand they are talking about in the article has already happened. Earlier in the year Canwest changed the Showcase logo and at the same time made a change in the programming, that is what they are referring to NOT another re-brand now. Looks like whomever wrote the article didn't do a very good job.

Re-brand or not this channel was wrecked from the time Canwest first got their hands on it. Originally it was licensed to air the best fictional programming from AROUND THE WORLD! Now it airs programming exclusively from the US, with a few original shows thrown in for good measure.

Hopefully, someone else will come along and launch a channel that is similar to the Original Showcase.
Or if the Shaw/Canwesrt deal goes through Corus hopefully will change it back or make it more better.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Remember when "edgy" meant airing internationall movies uncut (but 'time expanded' to allow for commercials)? Yeah, it was a superb channel that Atlantis Alliance wrecked over 10 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I used to watch their uncut foreign and avantGarde films before it turned into the CSI rerun network. Just another CRTC horror story.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
It would be nice if someone else where to create a new "Showcase" channel with edgy international programming. I really miss the channel we had some 15 years ago when it first came on.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It would be nice if someone else where to create a new "Showcase" channel with edgy international programming.
1) They have - it's TV on DVD. All cable has become is a wasteland of basically the same stuff that's on OTA - just more ofit. That's why I got rid of cable in favour of TV on DVD.

Really all I'd need at this point is the former program director for SC in it's prime to start a blog for new programming he'd air with affiliate links to buy the discs so it'd be worthwhile for him to do it.

2) Even if they do come out with another channel like the old SC it'll still suck, since as part of the tiers, customers will still have to pay for this garbage and then pay for a diginet to get whatever the new Showcase is called.

·
Banned
296 Posts
i wonder if they'll keep trailer park boys
According to the fall schedules, Trailer Park Boys is no longer on Showcase schedule. It will still continue to rerun on Showcase Action. By the way, there's no new episode in the series since june 2007.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It getting worse and worse for one reason the damn bundle policy! If we could really pick our package by the piece one by one with no exception and no must carry rule 3/4 of the channels on cable or sat in Canada would disappear overnight!

I call it the parasite tax you take one interesting channel and bundle it with five parasite channels to force the peoples who want the interesting channel to pay the parasite tax. If you own these parasite channels why should you invest more than the bare minimum to keep the lights on when you already got a build in revenue stream? You want to increase your profit well get more parasite license from the very complicit CRTC and dilute even more the content that you own! It a con job and unless somebody stop this it will destroy Cable/Sat tv because Canadians have the alternative of going to the internet for their TV! The one thing that I don't get is why the providers are going along with this scam? If the customers backlash that am predicting happen it their business that going to collapse first!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts