Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Launches November 1, 2010 -
Life is full of unexpected twists and turns. Twist TV is all about real life with a twist; capturing the experiences of everyday people facing extraordinary situations. The channel’s diverse cast of characters and colourful stories are always relatable and often outrageous. With a line-up of programming that includes tales of out-of-control kids, young pageant queens and dads gone wild audiences are guaranteed to be hooked.

Twist TV offers exclusive access to show titles previously u navailable in Canada including: Raising Sextuplets, Dad Camp, Daddy’s Spoiled Little Girl and Little Miss Perfect as well as the latest seasons of international hit series Nanny 911 and Wife Swap.

source. http://www.canwest.com/brands/specialty/TwistTv.asp

Discovery Health Rebrands As Twist TV
Posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 - 07:41 AM

Canwest Broadcasting announced today the launch of a newly branded, wholly owned digital specialty channel: Twist TV. Set to begin November 1, Twist TV will be available in over 2 million homes nationwide.

Twist TV is all about real life with a twist; capturing the experiences of everyday people facing extraordinary situations. The channel’s diverse cast of characters and their colourful stories – from unique personal challenges, to difficult family issues, to unusual medical circumstances - are always relatable and often outrageous. With a lineup of programming that includes tales of out of control kids, pageant moms and life changing health situations, Twist TV will deliver on the channel’s memorable tagline: “Life throws curves”.
Catering to adults 25-54, with a female skew, the channel will offer exclusive access to a variety of entertaining, reliable and practical show titles including: Raising Sextuplets, Dad Camp, Little Miss Perfect and 8 Boys and Wanting a Girl as well as the latest seasons of international hit series Nanny 911 and Wife Swap.

“Canwest’s lifestyle channels are the most popular in Canada. Food Network and HGTV are the top two favourite channels for Canadian women and we are confident that Twist TV will quickly become another audience favourite,” said Karen Gelbart, Senior Vice President, Lifestyle Content, Canwest Broadcasting. “We look forward to introducing this new brand and exciting programming mix to viewers in November.”

A glimpse at a few exclusive series confirmed for launch includes:

Dad Camp (Canadian Broadcast Premiere)
Dad Camp features six irresponsible fathers-to-be and their pregnant girlfriends working together to prepare for their future as parents.

Raising Sextuplets (Canadian Broadcast Premiere)
After a three-year struggle to conceive, Jenny and Bryan Masche find their wishes have multiplied when the news that they’re expecting six babies rocks their world. Raising Sextuplets follows them as their lives expand by six.

8 Boys and Wanting a Girl (Canadian Broadcast Premiere)
This documentary features forty three year old Wendy Bowen who has eight boys and is desperate for her dream girl and her ticking biological clock has turned it into an obsession.

Little Miss Perfect (Canadian Broadcast Premiere)
Little Miss contests are a storm of hope and anxiety, of dreams and despair, as young families buy thousand dollar dresses and dentures for children barely out of diapers.

The launch of Twist TV follows Canwest subsidiary CW Media’s purchase in 2009 of the shares of Discovery Health Channel Canada previously held by Discovery Communications Inc.

On November 1, 2010, Twist TV will become available in over 2 million homes through Rogers (as part of their digital VIP package), Shaw, Cogeco, Bell TV, Shaw Direct and Videotron amongst other carriers.

*Source:
Specialty Engagement Study, SRG/Canwest, Nov. 2009 A25-54 and W25-54

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Wow, essentially a television show, with its own channel! Hopefully Bell won't succumb to carrying this crap.

-Mike

·
Registered
832 Posts
The article says it's Discovery Health rebranding so if you already have the channel then you won't have a choice. Correct?

I agree, sounds like it will be another TLC.

Congo

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
as for Daddy's spoiled Little girl & Little Miss Perfect I just picture it know

Some rich movie start or musical star kid aka all the teens and young girls you see on the tabloids :rolleyes:

·
Banned
844 Posts
How is this channel different from all the other channels showing reality themed garbage?
It isn't and that is how Canwest likes it so they can spread around the same programming onto as many channels as they can- its the Canwest way! ;)

Another waste of space channel, looks like the 500 channel universe is turning out to be a bust, filled with junky channels that all essentially air the same crap. Time to unhook from the boob tube and move to the Internet where you can find any content your heart desires, instead of the crap that broadcasters force feed us through their so-called 'specialty' channels, which aren't really that special. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
One word.... pathetic. Anymore they rebrand channels to make sure they can show other programs on other channels they own . This is yet another channel that may as well go as it is basically another reality channel of TLC

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Looks like twist is the promised "reality" channel. Discovery Health could be something useful, but not in Canwest's hands.

looks like the 500 channel universe is turning out to be a bust
Couldn't agree more. I just dropped all the SD specialty channels since we didn't find anything on them to watch. Just keeping the movie channels and some HD channels for a saving of about $25/mo.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This is one of several reasons why I dropped pay tv service, and went to OTA,I got fed up with paying for all these crap channels.Maybe if more people did that, there would not be as much of this garbage out there. As long as people keep paying for it they will keep putting it out there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
At least we have the option to subscribe to this channel which i defiantly will not be. It could be worse at least it is not a mandatory channel like TLC is. well at least on Shaw TLC is.

·
Registered
606 Posts
This is one of several reasons why I dropped pay tv service, and went to OTA,I got fed up with paying for all these crap channels.Maybe if more people did that, there would not be as much of this garbage out there. As long as people keep paying for it they will keep putting it out there.
+1 If the channels were good, even if it wasn't my thing, I might feel different but unless you're into reality tv, cooking shows or sports cable has jumped the shark.

If they do ala cart I might grab TMN/HBO, Teletoon and Teletoon Retro and perhaps Space/Comedy if they were cheap enough but that's it.

Twist TV? The only reason this channel will do well is that the sheeple will eat it up because it's shoved in their face.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Geez, you guys haven't even given this channel a chance, haven't you ever heard of the expression don't judge a book by its cover? It might not be "that" bad. You can't fairly judge the channel without watching it first and on a side note I don't see the programming being a whole lot different that what is currently on that channel, so what's the big deal?

Even if there was a la carte, TMN/HBO are still premium channels and would not likely be offered a la carte if that's what you were hoping for.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Geez, you guys haven't even given this channel a chance,
I guess we've become jaded for anything from Canwest considering what they've done to other channels. Atleast with the Discoveery branding they had to do something with the channel.
Even if there was a la carte, TMN/HBO are still premium channels and would not likely be offered a la carte if that's what you were hoping for.
I see premium channels as the idea choice for ala cart with out subscription to other channels required to buy them. The TMN pack, Superchannel and the rest (adult etc) are already seperate sub channels fro basic and the tiers so why not just offer subs to them on their own without all these crappy channels like Twist and Slice?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Twist Chanel

What if everyone does not like this type of show,next they will move that disgusting Kate plus 8 here.Realty TV is not for everyone so give us a choice as to what we want to watch.

·
Banned
1,318 Posts
Nobody is being forced to subscribe to Twist TV so there is no reason for anyone to complain about the programming on it. If you don't like it, don't subscribe, it's that simple. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean other people don't, and this forum is a small minority of the tv viewing public in Canada.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Specialty channels are now becoming more and more like graveyards for old shows that nobody wants anymore. Seriously, new specialty channels get started or rebranded and at first it might be something new, but they'll hardly ever get anything else new, and they'll end up with shows on an infinite rerun cycle. Cheap money for them, I guess.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
Nobody is being forced to subscribe to Twist TV so there is no reason for anyone to complain about the programming on it. If you don't like it, don't subscribe, it's that simple. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean other people don't, and this forum is a small minority of the tv viewing public in Canada.

I agree. There lots of channels(75%) I sub tio that I either don't like or don't watch.
But I do have other family members that may watch that channel.

To me just because someone doesn't like a channel doesn't mean it should be shut down.

Just be careful for what you wish for, because you may find the channel you like gone because someone else doesn't like so its gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts