Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, any haste answers are greatly appreciated.
I have optik tv and had a mix up for billing so they shut me off yesterday but are coming back to hook it up next week. Internets off also.
I have a bunch of recordings on my PVR but when I click play on a show the screen just goes black. Is there anyway I can watch the recordings?
I am dieing of boredom please help, hacks or anything? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
The Telus PVR MUST be able to communicate with the Telus head-end over your internet connection to play recordings. The Mediaroom software checks with the head-end before playing each program. The encryption is very strong and there aren't any workarounds.

Telus should be able to reactivate your internet and TV service from the office - they shouldn't have to come to your home unless they physically disconnected the phone line for some reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Telus PVR MUST be able to communicate with the Telus head-end over your internet connection to play recordings. The Mediaroom software checks with the head-end before playing each program.
This is absolutely STUPID. For instance I lost my Internet because they were doing something to the DSLAM and I had no TV. Why should I not be able to watch shows I've previously recorded when my Internet goes out? That's a reasonable request I would think.

Does anyone know if Shaw's box allows you to watch recordings if cable goes out?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I had a episode with Shaw where, about a year ago, they had some sort of network error and both of my STBs stopped working, including the Motorola 6416 (PVR) box. I think the error was a Edmonton-wide problem since the tech support rep said that it was a widespread problem.

Anyway, these sorts of errors would indicate that it is possible for Shaw to stop you from viewing your recorded shows, which are stored in a encrypted format on the hard drive.

If you want a open system, use a HTPC.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
Does anyone know if Shaw's box allows you to watch recordings if cable goes out?
When you cancel or Shaw suspends your account, they send a code to de-authorize your PVR. You can't watch recordings until you subscribe to Shaw again.

With Shaw, you can still watch your recordings if the cable goes out as long as the power stays on. A Shaw PVR checks with the Shaw head-end when it reboots. If it's not successful, you can't watch your recordings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the quick response Dave.
That's so ridiculous that people can't watch what they have recorded there should be a month grace period. Maybe they will patch this one day?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
This is absolutely STUPID. For instance I lost my Internet because they were doing something to the DSLAM and I had no TV. Why should I not be able to watch shows I've previously recorded when my Internet goes out? That's a reasonable request I would think
Absolutely agree.

Internet and connectivity issues occur all the time. My belief is the authentication process should occur regularly (perhaps hourly) but only prevent you from playing programs if your box hasn't been authenticated for a prolonged period (say a day).

That way if your internet service is down for a few hours, you aren't inconvenienced.

·
Super Moderator
16,859 Posts
You're welcome MOI2G. I doubt they will change this - particularly once your account is shut down.

I agree in theory that the PVR service should be more resilient in case of an outage. I've monitored the traffic with Wireshark and you can tell that the PVR is not designed to function as a standalone device - it is part of an integrated TV service. There's an awful lot of management traffic back and forth, including maintaining the list of scheduled recordings and the list of recorded programs on the providers servers. Some people have been surprised when they've had their PVRs replaced and the scheduled series are all there.

I simulated a network outage when I first got the service by unplugging the Ethernet cable to see if the PVR would operate in the case of an internet failure. That's how I was able to determine the limitations of the PVR when the network was down.

In practice, I can't remember if I've ever had a PVR outage with Mediaroom on MTS in the 15 months I've had it (there might have been one). My TV is on whenever I'm home, even if it's in the background when I'm doing other things. I'm aware that Telus had a major datacentre outage when the power failed and the backup power didn't work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Without the benefit of being able to go into too much detail, I can hopefully shed some light on why this is the case. The PVR system does have the keys that it needs to be able to play back the content however those keys are signed by the Mediaroom server environment to ensure that if someone simply pulled the drive, they would not be able to get the keys.

If the dvr keys and the signing keys are in the same place at the same time (on the PVR) it can greatly increase the likelihood of compromise. Hence why half of the equation is in one place and the other half elsewhere.

Compromising even one key can lead to the exposure of a lot of content (even if it is only for a single hour).

·
Registered
28 Posts
They should still find a way to allow the end user to view content if the Internet is down. If I recorded these shows on my VCR I could watch them anytime I wanted. The MPAA/RIAA is getting ridiculous, especially since it's content I've already paid for and subscribed to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
When an account has a billing issue it usually goes into suspend first. This is easily fixable and resume happens in 2-24 hours from processing the request. No one needs to come from head office.

It sounds like what happened to you was a collection cease/ cease in error. This completely cancels out the ttv and hs services. The reg codes are deactivated, the port is released. They process the order to reprovide services which books a new port and generates new reg codes, but it must be fielded by a technician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
TELUS PVR u/s during Internet outage

An inability to play already recorded programs on TELUS' PVR happened to me early yesterday morning while they were doing some line work in the area. It's a little unsettling to get little more than the Black Screen Of Nothing after pressing OK to play an all ready recorded program.

Now I know why.

Yesterday morning I combed TELUS' web site looking for an explanation. There's nothing there to explain such unexpected behavior. The TELUS representative I chatted with did not seem to know anything about it. There is also no mention of this in the "Troubleshooting" section of the "Optik TV Quick Reference Guide".

Hopefully TELUS will follow up on this omission.

·
Banned
548 Posts
If you lose internet connectivity (no DSL light and no internet light on your Actiontec) no part of your OptikTV service will function. Access to the PVR still requires a working internet connection for Optik.

First thing to try if this happens? Reboot your Actiontec. Unplug it for 5 seconds, plug it back in. When the DSL and internet light come back on you should have TV shortly. If they don't come on ensure the modem's phone cord is connected to the correct jack and is in good condition. If this is verified and these lights are still not coming on after reboot, call TELUS and report you are experiencing loss of sync, and are out of service.

You can only connect the Actiontec to the jack dedicated to Optik service during your installtion. If you moved the modem to another jack or plugged it into the wrong jack on a two port jack, you will get no service. Usually the dedicated internet jack is the lower jack on a two port jack. It is generally lablelled ADSL, TV, or WWW, something other than "tel". The DSL and internet lights should come on within a minute or so of the modem being plugged into the phone jack, if not try the other jack if you have a 2 port jack.

If both the DSL and internet lights DO come on and you still have no TV, ensure your TV is on the correct input source, then once that is verifed, reboot the STB. To reboot a STB unplug the wire that is on the rear left of the STB as you face it from the front, count to 5 then plug it back in. It will take several minutes to finish and when finished should display the "press ok to see recorded TV" dialogue.

If the 'invalid client' dialogue comes up make sure the CAT5 or coax feed is connected to the back of the STB (CAT5 in the jack lablelled "network" or coax onto the lug marked "video in from wall") then try to reboot the STB once more, if the same comes up you will require a service call since the STB has no link when this "invalid client" message is shown.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
47 Posts
The requirement for the PVR to get permission from the network when playing recorded content is an effort to protect the rights of the content owners from improper use of the content.

Parties such as Telus and Microsoft must make reasonable efforts to ensure that they distribute content within a secure ecosystem so that it cannot be easily stockpiled or offloaded to other devices in a way that is not expressly permitted by the content owners.

For the most part, having the PVR get permission from the head end is non-intrusive because losing network connectivity is expected to be extremely rare.

Just because you've recorded the content doesn't mean that you own it or have the right to use it without limits. You don't own the content and you don't even own the local recording of that content.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts