Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very frustrating problem this week.

I synced my wife's Kobo eReader and afterwards, all the books were unavailable with a message that there was a data syncing error.

The source of the problem was the version of Kobo software on my p.c. It was V1.7.

According to support person I spoke to V1.7 only works with the new Kobo Wireless unit. It causes corruption on older units. To fix the problem, we had to uninstall the new Kobo software, download the old Kobo software and resync my unit.

My mistake was I updated the Kobo software after getting a message saying that I had to update the software in order to keep using my Kobo.

After 45 minutes on the phone with Kobo support, the support person told me that if I got a new Kobo Wireless reader for my wife then I could not sync both units on one computer because each Kobo reader needed different Kobo desktop software. I would have to install v1.4 on one computer and sync the old unit and install v1.7 on another computer to sync the new unit.

Needless to say, I am not going to do that since I know someone will make a mistake by syncing the wrong reader to the wrong computer and everything will get screwed up again.

Too bad because I was hoping to get the Kobo Wireless for my wife for Xmas but now am leaning towards the Kindle or Sony readers.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks, good to know... I was tempted to buy the new Kobo as well for the faster speed and then hand down my old one to my wife. Now that I know this I'm glad I just went and bought another older version. :)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW, I assume that at some point they will fix the problem but in the meantime....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts