Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping this is not completely off topic, but I'm trying to add a DLink DIR-632 into my home network - behind a Telus Siemens SE-567.
If it is off-topic for this forum, please let me know.

The problem I am running into is that on one of my machines running XP (a spare of sorts) I can see the router in my browser at 192.168.0.1 and can even set it up.
But on my two other machines - the main one running Vista and Firefox 3.6.13, the other XP & Firefox 3.6.13 - I can not - even if the router is all that connects to the machine.
I am using the same cables for all these checks :)

Yet if I run Wireshark on either machine, I see the router sending out ARP & SSDP queries to the network to find who has the IP addresses in the range it is set for 192.168.0.xxx with the source address of 192.168.0.1

Thus far I have not been able to figure out just why one machine can see the router, while the others cannot and any help, hints or pointer are most welcome and will be appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
After some more thinking and head scratching, I think I have resolved the issue.
And for my own future reference and others who might run into this issue, I'll record what I found as the solution.

The machines I could not see the router from had both been assigned a static IP address on a different sub net on the network and thus could not sort themselves out to work with the router.

It still leaves me wondering about the problem I originally tried to resolve by giving these machines a fixed address - being able to resolve them by name (for browsing to local web pages etc) - and by the looks of things, by reserving certain slots for those machines on the new router I can still do that.

So, I'm happy :cool: :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts