Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Nextbox 4 on Rogers. For some reason, I am unable to set a series recording of Nova on the PBS Buffalo channel. When I create the schedule, it will appear in the guide, but disappear later. I can record an individual show. This has been happening for a few months. Has anyone else experienced this?

tnx jk

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
I've had a similar experience with other shows. Since the last firmware update, timers seem to keep disappearing. Immediately after the update, I lost almost all the timers on one PVR. Since then, it's been an occasional timer. With one show, the timer kept disappearing every time the guide updated at night. I wish these clowns at Rogers would get someone who knows how to fix PVR firmware instead of slowly destroying the usability of the Nextbox.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This isn't after updates. It's solid. For example, I set the series recording on Tuesday night. Last night it was gone, but the individual show recorded as expected. This is the only show I've seen it happen with.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
This isn't after updates. It's solid. For example, I set the series recording on Tuesday night. Last night it was gone, but the individual show recorded as expected. This is the only show I've seen it happen with.
I thought that it was possible for a tv content provider to set a Do not record flag. Don’t know if any station does it.

I have found with the next box that setting New episodes only seems to ensure series recordings works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given that I can record single episodes means the do not record flag is not set. I was wondering if there was anything that only blocks series recordings. I would expect that New setting to only affect series, as if you're specifically recording a single show the box assumes you want it. Also, when I set up the series recording it completely disappears from the schedule, as though I had never set it. That is not the case with New shows only.

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
Recordings disappearing overnight (i.e. after guide updates) is what I experienced with one show as well. Series timers have been disappearing randomly since the last firmware update in August.

That's in addition to series timers set on one whole home PVR randomly not showing up on the other PVR. Timers not appearing in the guide but recording anyway is another issue that has existed for some time. Yet another issue is series timers not registering in the timers list, probably due to guide errors. These are long standing, randomly occurring issues.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not random. It's the one show only, though I haven't tried other PBS shows. I regularly use series recordings and have occasionally seen missed or late starting shows, but never had something as solid as this. It's as though the series selection simply doesn't work for that show. As I mentioned, recording only one episode works fine. As an experiment, a couple of days ago, I set up a single episode recording on ch 61 and series on 525 (both are the same channel). The next day, the single episode recorded, but there was nothing to even indicate I had tried to record the series, as it had even disappeared from the guide. I'll have to try a different show on those channels or perhaps try the Seattle PBS station.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I set up a series recording for Nova on the Seattle station and it works fine.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Similar here onNB3. Single programs that I schdule for after midnight often do not get recorded. Also some series disappears.

·
Super Moderator
56,523 Posts
Make sure you have a good signal on the channel you're trying to record. Also check the channel signal at various times of the day. I recently had an issue with low signal after midnight related to a poor splitter.

You can end up with a "black" recording, or no recording at all. I'm not sure if that would cause a scheduled series to disappear. I've found that the Rogers IPG is so terrible that I now mostly set up single recordings because of many issues with series recordings.

I still set up some series recordings, but only on programming that usually works (like daily programming) and I also check my scheduled recordings almost daily to ensure the stuff I want to record is there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts