Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

The other day I wanted to install Skype in my computer. I downloaded the installation program, no problem, and I ran it. It tells me that It cannot write to disk because I don't have enough space. I check My Computer and it tells me that I have 43% free disk space. 80 Gb hard drive. I deleted the installation program and re downloaded it again. Same thing. I don't know what my problem is except that I recently installed XP SP3. Could this cause this type of problem? I know that some people have had problems with this. I could not find a reference to my problem. I defragged my HD but still no luck.

I use Pentium 4 2.6 Mhz, 80 Gb HD 1.0 Gb RAM. I have never had a problem to install before.
Should I remove SP3 and try again?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Do you have the drive partitioned into an OS partition and a user/data partition? If the OS partition is full that might explain it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
HD utilities

Run chkdsk c: /r from the run/command line and once done run disk defragmenter (Accessories/System Tools) this can take hrs

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Success

Thank you for the reply's to my problem. I ran Chkdsk as suggested and then did another defragg. I don't understand how or why but it seems to have done the trick. This morning I ran the Skype installation program and bang there it was. I am now online with Skype.

Thanks again

Regards, Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts