Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

First post here. Thanks in advance for your help. Have some really strange behaviour with my dish, I kind of think it is leaves on the trees, but it doesn't make sense so I need some experts to chime in..

Set it up last fall after FTA died.. Worked perfect.

This spring I started losing standard def channels, a few at a time, then many, then none. I also lost ctvhd and histhd. All other HD channels working fine with strong signal. When I tried to go up and adjust it, same thing, great signal on 99% of HD channels, I couldn't for the life of me tune in the standard def - pretty much no signal to work with.

I was starting to think it was the lnb that had failed, receiver works fine at other locations.

My parents got a bigger dish with their home away from home (for their RV) sub. I decided to give that a try to eliminate the dead lnb theory, and maybe benefit from the gain with the larger dish.

I put the new larger dish up today. Same thing. 97% on HD channels, 15 - 18% is all I could get on the low def. No ctvhd and no histhd???

I tried to aim it tuned into histhd channel but all I could manage was around 70%.:(

I tried to aim it tuned into ctvott low def, but couldn't get more than 18% (nothing).

I gave up after about 5 hours of being on the roof with my small tv and receiver.

Questions:
1. Is the low def signal not as strong as high def? ie. leaves blocking the low def but not the high def?
2. Are histhd and ctvhd on the low def bird?
3. Does the skew matter when trying to get only one bird? (ie, I want to tune in the low def only and see if I can get it)

So now I'm waiting for the leaves to fall to hopefully get my low def back unless you guys can help me out..

Something really strange going on..

my elevation is very close to 30 degrees and very close to 239 degrees on the compass, skew is close to 117.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
146 Posts
Set it up last fall after FTA died
By "it", I presume you mean a Shaw Direct 60e or 75e dish with a quad LNB (2 "eyes" and 4 coax outputs)?

There is really no such thing as the "High Def bird" or the "Low Def bird". In general, most (but not all) of the High Def programming comes from Anik F2, while the English Standard Def comes from Anil F1R. Check out these links to see which is which:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf1_chno.html
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/shawf2_chno.html

On the above pages, those with the green background are HD....

Questions:
1. no.....in fact just the opposite; SDef signals are stronger. It's possible that there is something is blocking only the Anik F1R signal, but the satellites are only 4 degrees apart in space, so it's somewhat unusual to receive one but not the other.....
No ctvhd and no histhd???
per the web page I suggested, these are 2 of the very few HD channels on F1R

3. yes..I believe correctly setting the skew will maximize your signal, even on one satellite. But because of what I said above, if you have a 60e or 75e there is no reason to try to aim it at only one satellite. By analyzing the charts in the links and comparing with what you are able to receive, you can determine if you are receiving one satellite and not the other. See below about channel 299 also.

my elevation is very close to 30 degrees and very close to 239 degrees on the compass, skew is close to 117.
We can't confirm this information without knowing your location......

It does appear that you are receiving Anik F2 and not Anik F1R. What do you see when you tune to 299? Note, 299 is the "basic" channel that is used to initially find a signal when doing an install. If you get the message "acquiring satellite signal" on 299 and a reading of 20 or less on the signal meter, it's fairly obvious you are not getting anything from Anik F1R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

For sure I'm not getting F1R. And yes it has nothing to do with low def vs high def channel cause 298 is on F2 and I do get it.

The 60e was the dish that I first put up and did work for a bit. Now I have a 75e up there with the same results..

Yes on 299 I can only get 15 - 18%..

I'm in Ottawa.

Here is what dishpointer is saying:

Elevation: 28.3°
Azimuth (true): 222.4°
Azimuth (magn.): 235.9°
LNB Skew [?]: 28.2°
Dish Skew [?]: 115.2°

Regardless of the dishpointer settings why can't I tune in F1R???

My skew may be off by a few degrees and what is LNB Skew?

·
Registered
117 Posts
signal loss/leaves

Is there a tree in line with the dish? leaves will cause a loss of signal;you probably have a gap for the westerly bird,thus the signal is ok; come Oct when the leaves begin to fall you will slowly receive the eastern bird; check for signal on a very windy day and you may have brief contacts of signal which confirms it is indeed the leaves; Ctv hd and History HD along with Oasis and sports net are on the eastern bird; and by the way four degrees is a huge gap for signal propagation.

Cheers

footnote: I have the reverse problem; a tree in line with the western sat; the tree provides more than the receipt of tv signals; I just accept it and look forward to the change in seasons and the fact that most programming is repeated for the summer months......lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm pressed for time...but (for what it's worth) looking at your Dishpointer data you may have selected Anik F1R for your data. To properly aim a Shaw quad LNB offset dish, you want to aim at Anik F2. Then, if you have made the correct settings on your dish for elevation & skew, F1R will come in on the offset side of the LNB.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pressed for time...but (for what it's worth) looking at your Dishpointer data you may have selected Anik F1R for your data. To properly aim a Shaw quad LNB offset dish, you want to aim at Anik F2. Then, if you have made the correct settings on your dish for elevation & skew, F1R will come in on the offset side of the LNB.....

Thanks joshuals

Where could I find the correct settings?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Go to dishpointer.com.

Enter "Ottawa, ON" for your location, or if you know your lat/long, you can enter that.

Then, in the drop-down box, you select Anik F2 for the satellite.

You can then pan around the aerial image until you find your exact location, then drag the little icon there. The correct data will be displayed, and a line will appear on the aerial image illustrating the direction to point. There are also some other tools on the site that you can use to help you.

Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but if you're using a newer Shaw quad dish, make sure you make the elevation setting with the edge of the metal inside the slot. Sometimes folks us the bolt as the mark; doing so will result in an incorrect elevation setting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Odd.. Is that skew correct?

Here are the settings from dishpointer selecting my exact location and the 111.1 Anik F2 bird.

Latitude: 45.4930°
Longitude: -76.0927°

Elevation: 27.3°
Azimuth (true): 224.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 238.0°
LNB Skew [?]: 29.4°
Dish Skew [?]: 90.0°

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might want to get a installer to come and check the lnb. I had a simalar problem with mine, but it was high-deff channels I could'nt receive. The problem was the lnb had to be replaced. :)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
29.4 is the correct skew, from horizontal. The Shaw Direct Dish, at least the 60e I have had for almost nine years, has its skew graduated from vertical, so you have to add 90 to that to get your dish skew, so that would be 119.4

The skew sets the dish and LNBF skew for the F2 part of LNBF, the F1 part just follows it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might want to get a installer to come and check the lnb. I had a simalar problem with mine, but it was high-deff channels I could'nt receive. The problem was the lnb had to be replaced. :)
I can't see 2 lnb's having the exact same issue..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is that skew correct?
No it's not......you also need to select "multi satellite setups" to get the correct skew value, and as Classicsat said, you have to subtract 90 degrees.

I don't remember seeing that "multi....etc." thing before....maybe it's new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
29.4 is the correct skew, from horizontal. The Shaw Direct Dish, at least the 60e I have had for almost nine years, has its skew graduated from vertical, so you have to add 90 to that to get your dish skew, so that would be 119.4

The skew sets the dish and LNBF skew for the F2 part of LNBF, the F1 part just follows it.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot..

Think I will get someone to come out and have a peek..

Only other thing I can think of is that there is a branch/trunk totally blocking the one sat..

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
You don't need to bother multi-satellite setup. You just need to use the F2/111 numbers to aim the dish (which the F2 part of the LNBF is the "prime" LNB).
As I said,the F1 part just follows it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for clarifying..

I'll try these settings next:

Elevation: 27.3°
Azimuth (true): 224.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 238.0°
Dish Skew [?]: 119.4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tks guys. Ended up moving the dish..

Must have been a branch/trunk in the way of that one bird..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just started noticing this happening to me as well. I only subscribe to digital lite as almost everything I watch is on the Big4 US networks or CBC.

Then last wknd there was an NFL game on CTV that wasn't on CBS and I could not receive it. I hope it clears up with falling leaves because the tree that is in the way is the neighbours and I'm sure it would cost hundreds to trim it (even if he let me).

It blocks out half the sky...:(

Anyway - thanks for the info on what it really is (and not the hardware)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts