Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this from Shaw - anybody else get one of these or any idea what it means?
I don't have any problem with any of my boxes so why are they soliciting me trying to waste my time?

Also- I have not contacted them with any complaints regarding them. So if I am happy why aren't they. Me suspicious of them as always!

This is the email:
Dear Shaw Customer,

It has come to our attention that your Shaw Digital Terminal may not be functioning properly and you may be experiencing service issues . Please note that your ability to order PPV and Shaw On Demand movies and general operation of your Shaw Digital Terminal may be affected by this issue. Typically, these types of issues can be easily rectified, but may be caused by wiring issues at your home.

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
If you have a Shaw High Definition terminal or Shaw Digital Phone, you may have a splitter installed before your terminal. If this was installed by

a Shaw technician, please do not remove splitters and contact us by phone at your local number listed below to avoid any interruption in service.
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Some common causes and steps you can take to prevent further issues:

* Wiring problem - There are various methods of connecting your Shaw Digital Terminal to your TV and Home Theatre system. We recommend for optimal performance that the Shaw Digital Terminal be the first piece of equipment connected to the cable outlet. This ensures that no other equipment is interfering with the Shaw Digital Terminal's ability to communicate with our systems.

* Is there a cable splitter or other equipment between the outlet on the wall and the Shaw Digital Terminal? Cable Splitters and other equipment located between the wall outlet and Shaw Digital Terminal can cause issues.Remove all equipment or splitters that may be located between the wall outlet and the Shaw Digital Terminal. Other components must be located "after" the Shaw Digital Terminal in your wiring setup.

* Shaw Digital Terminal is not connected? If you have chosen not to subscribe to our Digital services and have unplugged your Shaw Digital Terminal please feel free to call us at the customer service number for your area as listed below and let us know, we will make arrangements to ensure we do not contact you for this problem in the future. Please note that Shaw Digital Terminals can be used with any Tier of cable service and give you 40 channels of Digital Music, our interactive preview guide and access to Pay Per View Movies and Events. Please call us at the customer service number for your area as listed below for more information.

* Do you unplug the power to your Shaw Digital Terminal? Often customers will unplug their Shaw Digital Terminals and Televisions every night. This can cause issues communicating with your Shaw Digital Terminal which can affect your ability to order Shaw On Demand and PPV events and movies. We encourage you to please leave your Terminal plugged in at all times.

We appreciate your assistance with this matter.

Please feel free to call us at the customer service number for your area as listed below so we may assist you in resolving these issues and you may enjoy all the features of your Shaw Digital Terminal. We would encourage a call regarding this challenge soon as it may lead to interruptions in your services.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It sounds like one of your digital terminals is not responding. Basically, the DCT is not being detected by Shaw. It may eventually start losing channels and functions if it does not have a 2-way connection.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, I got an email like that last fall. I had unplugged the cable box in a bedroom for several days while new carpeting was being installed. Apparently Shaw detects the box not responding and an email is sent, I believe from an automated system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We often have one unplugged only to use with guestroom and company. Been doing it for years. That's a customer's privilege. (have 4 boxes all together)

Point is - if customer's not complaining why impose time consuming response expectations on a customer.

"...it has come to our attention..." certainly not from me so I will focus on the "...may not be functioning..." and ignore this email.

Cheers

Northport

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is my (past) experience in customer service that it's impossible to please all customers at the same time. This thread reinforces that observation.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The email is sent out through a process run each night by senior support reps. It's a proactive approach to let customers know that you may encounter issues as your DCT has not communicated back in at least 5 consecutive nights. Often customer get a new DCT and throw the old one in the closet and if it was a rental then they are paying extra to NOT watch TV so it's a prompt to have the customer connect the DCT or let Shaw know that they are not using it and to remove it from their account.

If you are not going to be using the DCT for more than a couple days it's best to let Shaw know. Usually it will get removed from the system if it does not respond back in a timely manner which could cause frustration when you go to start using it again.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I too like the proactive nature of such an email but could wish that the advice were a little more carefully worded and a little more targeted.

Even better would be an on-line DCT/PVR status summary.

I have disconnected DCTs (Digital Cable Terminals) for months on end over the years (one especially used only in the summer and a couple of others while trialing PVRs) and have never received one of these emails.

The advice (e.g., the part about not having any other components between the Shaw outlet and the DCT ) being given in the email recommends against many cabling installations, including mine, which work and, again in my case, for which Shaw has provided an amp and splitters, all installed between the Shaw outlet and my DCTs & PVRs. As a starting point for troubleshooting, however, the advice given makes eminent sense.

To make such emails even more useful I would find it helpful if the offending DCT/PVR were identified by serial number rather than just "your Shaw Digital Terminal ". I have several DCTs and PVRs, some currently in service and some not, and would find that info particularly useful (even if, for security reasons, only the last four digits were given).

I have one spot in my cable network that is so far down the chain that any DCT located there, even though its Guide populates, doesn't have access to VOD. It would be interesting to know if a DCT located there were considered out-of-touch. DCTs placed in a second spot, just as far down the chain (but on a different leg) get VOD just fine. In another case, quite some time ago now, I had to remove one splitter to permit a PVR's initialization by Shaw but then it performed just fine (except maybe for VOD - I can't remember now) once I reinstalled the splitter. Again it would be interesting to know if this were considered out-of-touch.

Of course, if I really want to know, I can always phone and ask Shaw ;) but, on balance, Id rather get the email than not.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The email gets generated through a scripting process and does not customize for each customer. The offending DCT does get noted on the customer's account so when they call in they can definitely get the info though.
Typically we would want a DCT connected directly from the wall but on occassion Shaw may install a splitter or booster before the DCT but we often find that poorer quality or incorrect (sateliite) splitters may get installed after the installation by Shaw which can often cause loss of signal which could create challenges with the viewing experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts