Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've been looking long and large and decided to buy a 360. That is, I haven't made my mind up as of yet. Hopefully some DHC'ers can lighten me up a bit.

I'm torn between the Elite package and the Pro bundle. The major difference between the two (at least to me) is that the elite has more hard drive space, wireless headset and a few more eye candy gadgets.

This is what I need: a game console that plays the games exactly how they are meant to be, I don't intend to play online and chat so chatting is out of the question. I don't know what the 20 GB hard drive space is used. Do I need more than 20 GB for what I want to do or should I get the Elite for more HD space?

And one more thing: I keep reading how the XBox is suffereing from core meltdown or something like it. On the ToysRus website, there is a customer that writes "Buyers beware" that this is now his 3rd console in so many months. I thought that was with the first generation machines.

Like I said, I just want a system that plays the games and the pro bundle comes with 2 games to start with and a wireless gamepad.

Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
The headset is only used for online play.

The hard drive is used for storing achievements, game status, downloaded media, etc.

We have a launch system, still going strong BTW, and my son has only managed to use about 1/2 of the disc space for all of the game data and other stuff. And he also downloads game trailers and demos. In other words, hard drive space is a non-issue if you are just gaming.

The more important difference between the Elite and the non-Elites is HDMI. If you want/need HDMI then the decision is easy. If not, go for the Pro bundle. It's a sweet deal right now.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And one more thing: I keep reading how the XBox is suffereing from core meltdown or something like it. On the ToysRus website, there is a customer that writes "Buyers beware" that this is now his 3rd console in so many months. I thought that was with the first generation machines.
I'm on my 3rd, which is now on its last legs. A colleague at work just bought a brand new (Forza/Marvel bundle) Pro over the holidays. It lasted 4 days (not the red ring of death though--just one red light for him).

·
Registered
645 Posts
I got an Elite in September, mainly because of the hard drive space and HDMI. The difference at the time was about $100 but looking in stores I still see the 120GB drive is (over)priced at around $200. I also really like that the Elite is black. :)

I also use the extra hard disk space to store music I rip from my CD collection so that I can use it while playing some games - sure you can stream your music as well, but if I take the 360 on the road I've got everything on the hard disk.

I keep my 360 either in the bedroom (on my dresser) or in the living room (on top of the entertainment unit). In both places it's always kept in the horizontal position - I've read too many scratched disc stories.

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, to go online, I have to buy the rights for it, right? I mean to play against other people, they just don't have a free server like when you buy a PC game and join others online for free.

As for storage, I have an HTPC to dowlaod trailers and stuff so it really isn't a big deal. To store stats and all, it must take a poop load of info to fill a 20 GB drive, no?

The HDMI isn't really a factor for me right now. If I can get 720p and above through component, then I'm happy.

Entropy,
as for your 3rd console, what makes them go boom, then they are dead? Obviously you must get a new one each time if they are under warranty? Speaking of which, where do you get them exchanged?

I guess the pro bundle is looking more appealing so far.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Pro has HDMI now, too. Not sure about the core/Arcade...
They all have HDMI now.

The XBOX 360 is still plagued with hardware failure problems, unfortunately other than new heat sinks and the supposedly 65nm processor, not much has changed and I still see loads of people with the "new" systems having to send their consoles in for repair. It doesn't happen to everyone and hasn't happened to me yet, but the failure rate is relatively high. [33%??]

There's a great chart comparing various features of each model on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBOX_360

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Personally I would just get the Elite, but that's me. The HD space alone is worth it. I started with a Pro at launch and a little over a month ago sold my pro and bought the Elite. The Elite also comes with the same two games (Marvel and Forza).

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Ok, to go online, I have to buy the rights for it, right? I mean to play against other people, they just don't have a free server like when you buy a PC game and join others online for free
Yes... you need to get a Gold Live account. It's normally $60 for the year, but if you watch for sales you should be able to get it cheaper. You also get a free 1 month trial when you create your Live account. If you don't pay, you can still access Live with the Silver account, but you can't play anyone online.

what makes them go boom, then they are dead? Obviously you must get a new one each time if they are under warranty? Speaking of which, where do you get them exchanged?

I guess the pro bundle is looking more appealing so far.
The older model 360s tend to overheat, thus you get the "red ring of death". The newer falcon models are in stores now and include the cooler chipsets and better heatsinks... but you'll need to double check the team and lot number (For reference, the console examined to have the new hardware was built on August 24, 2007 from team “FDOU” and lot number 734. ) I'd like to think that any units made after this date are falcon units as well. The power stating 175W is also an indicator that it's a Falcon unit.

If you do run into the red ring problem, MS has extended the warranty to 3 years for it and they'll fix/replace your 360 free of cost... a product replacement plan it probably still a good idea however.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They all have HDMI now.

The XBOX 360 is still plagued with hardware failure problems, unfortunately other than new heat sinks and the supposedly 65nm processor, not much has changed and I still see loads of people with the "new" systems having to send their consoles in for repair. It doesn't happen to everyone and hasn't happened to me yet, but the failure rate is relatively high. [33%??]

There's a great chart comparing various features of each model on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBOX_360
I have a launch 360 as well and have not given me any sort of problem. At the same time, I know another 10 to 15 friends/family members that are enjoying their systems without issues. Saying the 360 is plagued with hardware failures is exaggerating the facts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a launch 360 as well and have not given me any sort of problem. At the same time, I know another 10 to 15 friends/family members that are enjoying their systems without issues. Saying the 360 is plagued with hardware failures is exaggerating the facts
Sorry....but 360 launch consoles were plagued with hardware failures, MSFT even agreed that there were hardware issues with them, reason they extended the warranty period to 3 years and reimbursed all 360 owners who paid MSFT to fix their 360 after receiving the 3 red rings of death (RROD). You are in a low percentage of 360 owners who has an original launch 360.

On that point...most 360's on retail shelves have been improved, I am an owner of a new 360 Pro with HDMI and am pleased with its performance up-to-date.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where do you keep your 360 and how is it oriented?
I keep it on an open TV stand laying down. My launch system lasted 18 months, its brand new replacement lasted 5 hours, and now the launch window refurb that replaced that is getting tons of unreadable disc errors.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Surely we can get through one thread without having to constantly argue about the 360 and issues.

I just sold one of my 360's so that I could get a newer one for HDMI since downstairs is all about the HDMI setup. All the current skus have HDMI, but some old pro bundles that are left hanging around wouldn't have it so if you happen to get one of those, I would return that and ask for a new pro bundle anyhow.

The arcade one just feels like a gyp to me because of the non-HD, so I'd stay away from that one. You don't really need a lot of HD space since the XBLA titles are small and demos you don't keep around for very long. If you choose to participate in the rental gouging, then more disk space might be worth it, but otherwise I'd say the 20gb will serve you fine (I still haven't had any issues with space on my quasi-launch 20gb).

You don't have to go Gold if you are cool with single player stuff. I am not one for a whole lot of multiplayer stuff either and probably am not getting my money's worth out of Gold either, but I still have it. Nice thing is, go monthly if you like. If there isn't enough value in it for you, stop that service. If you find out you truly do get a lot of value, then go look for the yearly cards when they get discounted etc.

Caveat: If you are planning on buying regular xbox games over Live, then I suggest that 120GB storage is a must and you should go Elite.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We have had our 360 for about 12 months now. We down load demos and some HD trailors. We find the 20g drive to be big enough. We have never run out of space. WE also have the HD DVD drive. It works great as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After some indecision I've settled on the Pro w/ HDMI. I clarify because I went to FS boxing day and in the madness bought the bundle with Halo 3 & Two Worlds only to get home and see it didn't have HDMI. I brought it back and am now on the lookout for the best deal. Any word on whether Dell will run their pre-Christmas deal of Holiday bundle, Halo 3 and HDMI cord for $399? I haven't seen anything like it since and am kicking myself for not jumping on it the first time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My Nephew bought the same bundle and brought the console back for a replacement as he realized after the fact it was an older model. He kept the bundle price and got a new hdmi included console.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know if this will help you with your search,but it is rumoured that a new SKU is to be unvieled at the CES this week.It is suposed to have internal HD-DVD

1 - 20 of 27 Posts