Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to create a system repair disc in Window 7 64 bit and I keep getting an error message saying the System Repair Disc could not be created and the very informative error 0x80070057 message.

I went to Microsoft Support site which was pretty useless since it did not provide me with any support just links to the MS forum where some useless answers by MS moderators were given.

The first was to run

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

The checker tool said everything was fine.

The second step was to

i. Boot the system by inserting Windows 7 installation disc.
ii. When it gets to the main setup window, click on Repair from the lower left corner.
iii. Select Command Prompt from the main Repair menu.
iv. At the command prompt type in recdisc, then ENTER.
v. You'll get the popup to choose which drive letter to create the Recovery disc to.
vi. Have a clean DVD in the DVD drive and select start.
This should get your System repair disc created.
Doing this I got the message "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the Version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows"

This despite the fact that I am using the Windows 7 Installation disk that was used on my system!

I have Googled for a long time but can't come up with anything.

Any suggestions? (and please no MS bashing or unrelated discussions, I'm just looking for some ideas on how I might be able to solve this problem)

·
Super Moderator
11,135 Posts
Could this be a 'retail disc' versus 'OEM disc' difference? I forget what the term is but large resellers that have pre-installed the OS and key. Which will not match the physical disc or printed key.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is OEM System Builder Software so it should be complete. Its not like a HP recovery disc or whatever you call it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still having this problem and I am fed up.

Anybody have an answer. I've googled a hundred times

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do you really need this disk?
I use Seagate wizard which is based on Acronis software (available free for all HDD manufacturers) burned on a startup CD.
I then create an image just after OS installation and current drivers and updates. I create a new image every 6 months or so keeping 3 images; original + 2 latest. No data on OS drive only installed programs.
I recently had to install an image on one of my system and it took about just 30 minutes.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd appreciate help in resolving my issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hugh, are you trying to create a repair disk or image backup disks....the reason I ask this is the OEM Win7 install disk can be used as the repair disk but I discovered on Friday, the F8 function has all the same options to repair a problem with the OS...I found this out as I got some drive by malware, Rogue/Fake antivirus (I was surprised that MS Security Essentials did not pick this up) and I used the F8 function, Repair, which allowed me to use System Restore, I restored to a day before and the malware was, I will say disabled, as I could not find anything on the OS HD to remove...MS SE did not find anything on a scan to remove.

The built in OS image backup function in Win7 is cool, you create a boot CD and can point the image backup to a network/USB/local HD and the boot CD/DVD will restore the image from that location, I backed up to 1 of my hard drives...

This is the reason I really, really like Win7, all of this stuff is built in, no 3rd party software.

So my point is, I don't think it is necessary to create a repair disk, F8 should do it!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Hugh,
I tried that also and was never able to get anywhere with that either. Frustrating, but was able to create several new coasters.
Eventually I lost interest and wound up installing linux anyway.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.the reason I ask this is the OEM Win7 install disk can be used as the repair disk but I discovered on Friday,
As I noted in post #1. Did that and got

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the Version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows"

and that was the original W7 Install disk.

·
Registered
598 Posts
What does the repair disk contain? I was surprised it only contains some 164MB in files. Certainly not even a stripped down version of Win7?

I do realise that it is more than enough for Dos to boot from (for those of use who remember SSSD 160KB FD days).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KevinK, I saw that but I would not want to make registry changes for something that didn't specifically address my issue.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Quote:This despite the fact that I am using the Windows 7 Installation disk that was used on my system!

Sorry to ask this but is this for sure? You did the install/upgrade with that disk??.............or was this provided by the manufacturer??

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just tried creating the disk through control panel and get the same error.

The parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057).

Mine is entirely an OEM setup. HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 64 bit , SP1

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try this: (Note: not my solution, pulled from here)

Open a command prompt.

Type bcdedit /enum all

You will see an entry (probably several) that says C:\Recovery\(some long string)\winre.wim,(same long string)

Make the following directory based on the value (some long string) that is shown above. For example purposes only:

md c:\Recovery\0b3447fa-c429-11de-afd2-bdec487c77bb

If folder already exists, great :)

Insert your Windows 7 install DVD and cancel any autorun prompts. Assumption is that D: is your CD/DVD drive - change accordingly ;-)

copy d:\sources\boot.wim c:\Recovery\0b3447fa-c429-11de-afd2-bdec487c77bb\winre.wim (or just open in explorer and drag d:\sources\boot.wim to the folder on your HDD and rename it to winre.wim - this is the all important part!

copy d:\boot\boot.sdi c:\Recovery\0b3447fa-c429-11de-afd2-bdec487c77bb

copy d:\boot\bootfix.bin c:\Recovery\0b3447fa-c429-11de-afd2-bdec487c77bb

Remember, the folder "0b3447fa-c429-11de-afd2-bdec487c77bb" will probably not be the same on your machine...run bcdedit /enum all and find the correct name of the folder from the list (which will have "C:\Recovery" and "winre.wim" in the entry)

Ruin recdisc.exe and voila you can make your recovery CD/DVD ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts