Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am a week old Vonage customer from Ontario. One of my first numbers I called was the Bell Expressvu customer service line: 1-888-SKY DISH (1-888-759-3474), and I get an error "Number cannot be dialed".. Call from my cell or bell line and works..obviously. Called Vonage and they confirm they can't call it either...but have no resolution, they mention it could be a new number. I explained it is there main line and has been around for years.

Anyone else on Vonage or VOIP have this issue????

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes

you will find there are certain canadian 1-800 numbers that do not work, the reason being is because Vonage is a US based company and the 1-800 number thinks you are in the US. I would think that as this technology matures that problem will go away.

Cheers Leo

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Its been discussed here before and its probably because 1-888-SKY DISH won't accept calls from the U.S. and calls from Vonage VoIP are deemed to be from the U.S.

The upside is you can call U.S. toll-free numbers not available in Canada.

Primus "orginates" in Canada so I can call 1-888-SKY DISH.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Call 1-800-668-6878 this will put you into the Bell Canada IVR and you can get yourself to express-vu from there. (this number can be dialed from anywhere in Canada or the US.)

Nem, offering an alternative.

Reactions: hugh

·
Registered
594 Posts
My roommate has primus (which originates in Canada) and I have Yak Worldcity (which originates in the US), so lucky me, I can vote for both Canadian and American Idols :) ..

Yup, I rock

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Nemnoch, thanks the alternative.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have Expressvu on Vonage?

We have discussed in length how certain Canadian toll free numbers including BEV cust service line don't work with vonage..but has anybody plugged in there expressvu receiver in and tried to order PPV?

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
I asked that question in another thread. Don't think anybody confirmed either way. We know the Directv toll free number works and American Idol so i wouldn't be surprised if the # doesn't work. Plus, the toll free number for Bell doesn't work.

Can't you order PPV online?

·
Registered
961 Posts
The toll free number for express vu doesn't work but the toll free number for Bell Canada does, at which point you can then get into the Express-Vu IVR.

Nem, who is clarifying

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, but I can't change the number the receiver calls...so it will either work or it won't...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
ilyo, do you really need to start a new thread to ask the same question you asked a month ago? If there is something new then use your own existing thread.

I have merged the two.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I am unsure of which number bell has hardcoded into the receivers and was wondering if anyone has had success with it over VOIP.

Sorry again.

·
Registered
961 Posts
or just don't dial the 416. it is simply 310-2355 (no area code needed)or 1-800-668-6878

nem, who says no area code needed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
nem, thanks for the tip about the area code, but even without it, i still get the same error.

i remember reading about no need for area code, but forgot about it. thanks for the tip.

pab

·
Registered
961 Posts
use the 1-800 number then, as it is good across north america.

nem, who says his north america includes mexico

·
Registered
1 Posts
ilyo said:
Sorry, I am unsure of which number bell has hardcoded into the receivers and was wondering if anyone has had success with it over VOIP.

Sorry again.
I called BEV tech support and spoke to a level 3 tech about changing the number and he said, no. He did however say that he would log the issue for software updates. I doubt however that Bell will hurry into making it easier to work without them.

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have been with vonage for a couple of years. they have been promising 800 service from canada since i joined them. i don't bother asking them anymore. i don't think they care about this situation. i'm thinking about switching to primus as i have been reading great things about primus and a woman i work with loves them and raves about them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts