Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any experiences with Canon's warranty service?

Bought a SD4500is online at Fshop for my wife for xmas... died on her recent trip to Florida. I guess Futureshop will take it back and send it out for me. What can I expect for turnaround time?

Peter

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Canon repairs occur in Montreal and Toronto IIRC. My S1 IS suffered the bad CCD issue and they were really quick. But I have heard of generic brands suffering long wait times since the repairs were done at "authorized" shops. I.E. some guys basement. That is not a stretch either. I have seen it with my own eyes. So if FS is prompt it should be no more than a few weeks. I would definitely follow-up regularly with FS though. They dropped the ball on a Pioneer repair I requested. The thing sat in their warehouse for a month before it was shipped out.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Canon Canada consolidated their repair depots back in 2009. I believe all repairs are now done via the Mississauga depot. When I had a problem with one of my Canon cameras (this was before 2009, but I live in Mississauga so the change didn't make a difference to me), I think it took about 4-5 days from the time I dropped off the camera to the retailer (Henry's), to getting a call back that it was repaired and ready for pick-up.

I was told at the time you could deal with the depot directly if you think it's worth the drive to/from Mississauga. Not sure if this is still the case - might be worthwhile to dig up their contact info and give them a call.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Yes, you can go directly to Mississauga. It's just unfortunate that due to their workload, the turnaround time even for Canon Pro Users have become longer too.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i believe i had CCD issue as well a few years ago, and i dealt directly and fairly quickly with canon

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Unless you have an extended warranty with a local retailer, it's usually best to deal directly with the manufacturer. Unfortunately, that means added shipping costs but it also means fewer delays and less chance of a problem in handling.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I walked into the local Fshop store, and was told I would be charged for the warranty repair (to send it to Canon)....

I'll box it up myself and mail it off. Filled in an online form at Canon's website and got a RMA.

BTW, the service locations for P&S's is Whitby, or somewhere in Quebec.

P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts