Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've noticed that quite a few members purchased Canon's Vixia HF100 the past couple of years. Is it still highly regarded, or are the new crop of camcorders better in any significant way? I've been watching ebay and have seen that both the HF100 and HF10 go for around $300-$350 in good shape. I don't really want to spend more than $500, but if that will get me a new model, would it be worth it? It seems to me that a camcorder might be one of the most likely ebay purchases to actually arrive in good shape, as many people would buy new, then not use it very much. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looking for a camcorder around the $400 range too, so interested in some replies.
Never thought about using Ebay for one.
B&H from the US seem to have a lot of sales, and shipping and duty is about $30, so you still save over $100 on most camcorders. They have used ones too, so might be worth a look. Only pain is if you have tos end it back for problems.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You won't get anything new for $500 that is close to a used HF100/10/11. Camcorders in the $500 price range have a much higher pixel density due to more MP and smaller sensor so the HF100/10/11 will be much better in low light.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I have the HF100 and have nothing but positive things to say about it.

I bought it on sale three years ago for $599. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get something similar now for around $500 but I haven't really investigate camcorders in a long time so what do I know.

·
Registered
659 Posts
On this same topic, I'll be looking to hear from people what they recommend in the same budget as the OP for a hiking trip I have coming up. I am looking for something that has storage, preferably HD, HDMI hookup to tv and all weather resistant and for high altitude

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did manage to get an HF10 from ebay. It's virtually brand new, from a professional photographer who didn't like the work involved in editing video. For $400, I got the camera, a Rode shotgun mike, 8gb card, Century Optics .5 wide angle lens, CB Junior bracket, lens hood, extra battery (non Canon) and a Canon soft bag, along with all of the original accessories and box. We couldn't be happier. Henry's has a brand new, with full warranty, open box one coming up for auction on Feb 11th.
I don't know how you'd make it weather resistant, though, but they probably sell inexpensive bag options and more expensive hard shell diving options.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I purchased a hf100 on ebay for about $350 from a cdn lister. Came with box, and everything.... CD and manual looked unopenned. button cell wasn't even put into remote.

I purchased it in late 2010.

P

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I purchased a hf100 on ebay for about $350 from a cdn lister. Came with box, and everything.... CD and manual looked unopenned. button cell wasn't even put into remote.

I purchased it in late 2010.

P
Reading your post was what got me thinking about this.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Still love my HF-100.

I might eventually replace our Rebel with one that does video so we can take advantage of the lenses, but the the DSLR/HF-100 combo serves us well for now.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
lima20, you may want to consider the Kodak PlaySport ZX3. Dell has it on sale for an excellent price at the moment. Also on sale is the bundle with 8GB card + case. Hard to beat for the price, especially being waterproof/weather-resistant.

·
Registered
659 Posts
What do you guys think of this camcorder.....it's called SPEED, and selling for $229 on fleabay

specs

3" FULL HD 1080P 12MP DIGITAL VIDEO CAMCORDER CAMERA

1 year warranty

Features:

* 12.0 Mega Pixels (4,048 x 3,040 - 12 Million Pixels)

* 1080P (1920 x 1080) Full HD - High Definition Video Recording

* 20 X Super Zoom for Video & Camera

* 5 X Optical Zoom, 4 X Digital Zoom

* Film Rate: max. 60 fps (film per second)

* Dual Flash Lights for Camera & Video

* Electronic Image Motion Stabilizer

* 3.0" Wide Screen True Color TFT LCD (270 degree rotation)

* MOV H.264 DVD Video Quality

* HD Component Video Output, AV Output & USB 2.0

* Fine Digital Still Image JPEG in 12.0 Mega Pixels

* Portable Movie Player (PMP)

* Night Shot, Auto-Focus, EIS Option , Stabilization Function

* 14-Language Operations Menu

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There have been at least 5 HF100 camcorders sold on ebay the past week for $250 or less that looked to be in excellent condition. I would chance a known entity with proper support and lots of reviews before I would trust a knock-off with little support. I can't imagine the Speed camera having decent optics, software, or durability. There's also no optical image stabilization.

If you don't want to venture into the used market, consider one of the Vado type pocket HD camcorders. They can do a reasonable job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts