Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a Canon Rebel XTi camera. It came with the EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens. In the auto focus mode it doesn't always take the picture. It seems like it focuses correctly but it will not make the beeping noise to tell you it's ready to take the picture. When you push on the shutter button nothing happen and when you release it it just says busy. It takes pictures fine in manual focus. Is this common with this camera? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It may be a lens issue or could be the camera. Do you have a way of testing a different lens? Friends, family, camera store? Try with a different EF or EF-S lens. If the same problem continues then the issue is with the camera.
Sometimes the contacts on the lens can get dirty causing communication issues. If I have issues I use a pencil eraser to give them a clean and it usually solves the lens communication issues.

Keep us updated and we can keep trouble shooting if needed.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Does this happen outdoors in bright light as well? I know on my Nikon, there are several AF modes and one of them won't let me snap a picture if lighting is poor (presumably because it isn't able to focus accurately.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just recently bought a Canon Rebel XTi camera. It came with the EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens. In the auto focus mode it doesn't always take the picture. It seems like it focuses correctly but it will not make the beeping noise to tell you it's ready to take the picture. When you push on the shutter button nothing happen and when you release it it just says busy. It takes pictures fine in manual focus. Is this common with this camera? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Boy that's an old lens - I had to look that one up (first sold in 1990 - 1995 depending on the version).

Dumb question - is the "AF-MF" switch on the lens set to "MF"? If so then the lens is set to Manual Focus and will never auto focus.

If nothing is happening then it's because the auto-focus is not working if you don't get the beep & the green dot (focus confirmation light) doesn't illuminate solid in the viewfinder then in Auto & Program modes an XTi will not actuate the shutter. If the green dot goes solid but there is no beep then "beep" may be set to "off" in the menu.

If the auto focus is working then one or more of the red squares in the viewfinder should illuminate to show you which AF points have acheived focus.

Sometimes my XTi would get jammed up like this and I found pulling out the battery & counting to 10 then putting it back in did the trick.

This is a used camera so you should probably reset it to defaults - go into the "wrench" "hammer" "2" tab in the menu and select "Clear all Camera Settings" & "Clear All Custom Functions" to set things back to defaults.

You can find the instruction manual Here

1 - 4 of 4 Posts