Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new PowerShot S95 camera, the follow up to the popular PowerShot S90 camera, has been enhanced with 720p HD video capability and in-camera HDR scene mode. For macro-photography enthusiasts, Canon has built its Hybrid IS technology into the PowerShot S95 camera to compensate for angular and shift camera shake, making it the first PowerShot model to feature Hybrid IS technology.

The camera also features a 3.8x optical zoom and an f/2.0 lens with Optical Image Stabilization technology. Another feature is the manual control ring on the front of the camera. For the advanced amateur shooters, the control ring allows the shooter to access manual control options and RAW shooting capabilities, allowing for more photographic creativity.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The S95 will be available late August for $450.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned several Canon P&S cameras including the S95's predecessor, the S90.

The S90 lasted about 3 months before I couldn't take the CA any more. Shoot up into trees or put some brightness behind anything, and it's fringed with blue like I've never seen before. The lens distorts considerably. If shooting Jpegs, this is corrected in camera reasonably well. Shoot RAW, and you're fiddling. It's also not the sharpest, not by a long shot.

I really wanted this to be my pocketable RAW shooter, but the S90 disappointed tremendously. It's not cheap, so I'd be careful on this one.

YMMV.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've heard this too. I bought a G10 for the DW and have been pleased with the RAW from it. I've seen on several imaging websites that newer Canon P&S cameras have crappy lenses and they are using in camera processing to compensate for optical distortions. As you said the JPEGs look good but the RAW files look really bad in PhotoShop. However, I did read one reviewer who mentioned that if you open the RAW image in Canon's DPP software it has the same compensation's built in that the camera's JPEG engine does so it will correct most optical distortions.

Apparently recent ACR updates for Lightroom and CS have the compensations built in for the lens.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^^ True. Canon's SW corrects the lens distortion in the RAW file. But as a heavily committed PS/LR guy, I wasn't going to warm up to that app.

When I bought the S90, it was very new and unsupported by Camera RAW, so yes, the files looked like fisheye shots. That's when I realized how much work the in-camera processor was doing. It wasn't long after, that it became supported. Still nasty CA, though.

I've owned the G10 as well, and can vouch for its much superior optics compared to the S90. The S90's f2.0 is an attention-getter, but it's a steep price to pay for what otherwise, in my opinion, is very crappy glass.

The G10 was another I was dying to like. Took it to Paris and shot my brains out in spring '09. Nice zoom coverage, great feel in the hand, wonderful, tack sharp resolution, but after massaging its results for a few months, I just felt that Canon had given too much dynamic range away, for the sake of extra pixels. If I didn't drive the shadows into absolute blackness, I was finding the shots a bit blah. Again, YMMV.

Quite off topic, but for the past few months, I've settled on an EPL-1 as my walkabout RAW snapper. Certainly not as small as the S95, but you can have it in-hand for hours, and forget it's there. At prints under 16x20, you can also forget it's a M4/3.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Henry's website seems to indicate it hasn't arrived yet. And Mostly Digital in London, ON suggests it will arrive on Sept 14th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts