Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I have owned a Canon Elura 100 Video Camcorder for about 3 years now. It has been working great until recently when it keeps flashing a red X and a *Card Error* message on the screen whenever I turned it on.

This video camcorder can take pictures as well and it has a slot for SDHC memory card. Here is what I have done so far.

1. Remove the SDHC card and re-insert it (while the camcorder is off). Same error message.

2. Initialize the SDHC card as per instructions in the Canon manual. Same error message.

3. Put in another known working SDHC card (from my digital camera). Same error message.

4. Put the SDHC card from the camcorder into my digital camera and I could take pictures without any problem.

5. Ensure I do not have the wide screen mode on (as per another troubleshooting thread found via Google). Same error message.

Please advise on what I could/should do next. I used to be able to take pictures with this camcorder using the same card so I am not entirely sure why it would stop working now. The recording features are fine, i could still record to miniDV tapes without any problems.

Thank you.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You've tried some good troubleshooting steps and confirmed that it's probably not the card but the camcorder.

I have a Elura and the pictures are not very usable (but I do have high standards) so you might just want to ignore the error and not use it for stills.

The alternative is sending it in to Canon for service which that can be an expensive proposition. Here is the URL for Canon Canada's repair quote. For the Elura 100 they want a minimum of $149 + taxes and shipping. Money probably better spent, in the case of a camcorder, on a new model. I hate disposable technology.

One possibility might be that the SD card contacts in the unit are dirty. First try inserting and removing a SD card 30 or 40 times to see if that helps. As a last resort, understanding that this might damage the unit, with the battery removed and the unit powered down you might try to gently clean the contacts with a really fine (grit 240 or greater) piece of emery cloth wrapped around something slim (like a plastic knife from a fast food place).

So, you can live with it, spend the minimum of $149 to have Canon look at it, or try to clean the contacts accepting that you may FUBAR the unit.

Regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Bruce. I did call Canon tech support and was also given a quote of $149 + tax.

You are right, it's probably not worth it to pursue that option. It did come in handy 2 years ago when my old digital cam died on our cruise and I used this camcorder to take still pictures.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you tried a SD card instead of a SDHC one?

I has also had an canon elura for 3 years...and I remembered that it stated in the manual that it won't work with a SDHC card (not popular at that time) that is why I still have the SD card in my camcorder but rarely use it. Try a SD card and try it out or verify it with the manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts