Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently the rechargeable Li-ion battery for my Digital Rebel gave up the ghost. I checked the Canon site and found they wanted $140 for a Canon BP-511 replacement battery. Searching around, I found a local camera retailer that I frequent for my camera needs who was selling it for $119.

Annoyed that a camera battery should cost more than what one typically pays for a car battery, I found an online vendor with a good reputation selling two "Maximal Power" BP-511 replacement batteries for U.S. $12.

With shipping the total cost was $25 Canadian. The total cost from the Canon would have been over $160!

I have read from some manufacturers that "aftermarket batteries" are dangerous, can explode etc, however, nowhere did I actually find any substantive evidence of this.

I read about Sony, Panasonic, Dell etc batteries overheating but the incidence of aftermarket batteries burning up seemed to me to be no higher than OEM batteries which suggested to me that much of the "evidence" against after market batteries is fear mongering.

Anyway, I refused to spend over $150 for a battery for my almost five year old Digital Rebel and will take my chances with my $6 battery.

The $140 dollar will go towards my next Digital SLR which I will buy if these batteries die quickly or I really really want a new camera before then!

Anybody else with an aftermarket battery story?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have 2 Canon cameras, and bought 3 backup aftermarket batteries for each of them - all for less than the cost of a single original Canon battery. Even though many aftermarket batteries claim a higher capacity (i.e. mAH rating), I find they don't last as long as the original Canons. But is that worth the price premium they're being sold at? Definitely not in my case.

It's not big deal for me to carry around an extra 2-3 batteries.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original OEM battery lasted four years. If my two aftermarket batteries last three years combined then I still think I will have gotten a great deal!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have used aftermarket batteries for my Rebel and now my 40D (luckily their the same BP-511's) for over 4 years now and they are still fine. I found an online vendor here locally in Greater Van that had them for $15 CAD and I drove in at lunch time and picked them up so no shipping fees.

I would highly recommend these guys and these aftermarket batteries. I have not found any issue with them at all.

My only issue now is finding an aftermarket battery for my HF100 as it's so new and low volume that their are no aftermarket units available.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I use a couple 3rd party batteries for my 30D and 40D (511A) and its true they do not last nearly as long but for the price you can simply buy more and replace them more often. I could go through a dozen or more before the MSRP of a canon battery.

Here is a question for those who have higher end DSLR
(1d series) with the very precise battery life reports. Does this feature work on 3rd party batteries?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought 2 batteries from Sterlingtek ( something like that ) a while ago for my rebel. No problems yet but I've only used one and it seemed to last as long as the original or close enough. I think I paid about $20 including shipping. They came by mail and no duty or brokerage was applied. Great deal and great service. Someone on this forum recommended them.

·
Super Moderator
56,637 Posts
When I purchased my Panasonic TZ5, I wanted a backup battery for vacations, etc. The Panasonic battery was about $80 and the knockoff was available in Toronto for less than half that. The knockoff doesn't provide as many pictures (run time) as the original, similar experience to others here, but that's OK since it's basically a backup. The "run time" was still quite acceptable - hundreds of photos or several weeks, it just wasn't quite as much as the Panasonic battery - perhaps 70%?

Similar experience for cordless phones, car batteries, etc - if you know where to buy, you can save a bundle by not going "OEM".

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have bought exactly 1 OEM Canon battery for my camcorder some 10 years ago (while I was stilll young(er) and stupid). Since then I only buy aftermarket batteries (and chargers from same supplier) for camcorder, DSLR and compact digital cameras and had zero problems. They are often of higher capacity then OEM, hold charge as same as OEM do and last as long as or longer than OEM. All that at less than 10% of OEM price. If that's not 110% satisfaction I don't know what is.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Anti-Piracy Batteries

How does an OEM battery maker protect its market?

I've been told that newer Sony devices respond to a chip embedded in Sony batteries. If you install a battery that has the correct electrical properties, size, etc., but lacking this chip, then the Sony device will not function.

If this story is true, it validates the profit margins on OEM batteries. That is, why build such technology into Sony devices unless you are protecting something of value - like a high profit margin?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have 2 aftermarket online non-OEM batteries (sterlinktek?). One works well, and gives an adequate number of photos. The other one doesn't charge at all.

I have 2 30d's, and about 4 OEM Canon batteries (I didn't pay retail for the batteries, they were in 'bundles' that I got on sale.)

Given the cost, when my batteries die, I will likely go non-OEM via an online vendor, and hope that the failure rate drops from 50% to next to zilch.

I heard Li-ion degrades up to 20% of year by just going stale.....

P

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've always used Sterlingtek for my replacement batteries for my digital cameras and camcorders:

Fantastic prices and quick service. I found that site based on user reviews here on DHC.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I found out about Sterlingtek in this forum.
I bought a replacement battery for my Nikon D40 two months ago, and it's been worth every dime!
Thanks, DHC. :p

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Fuji f30... As far as I remember the replacement was around $60 in a camera store. Got one on eBay for $6 (!) that is in all ways identical to the original it replaced (form factor, made in China etc.). Had it for over a year now and it's just as good as the original, if not better...

Unrelated to cameras I also got an aftermarket battery for my MacBook Pro that was like half the cost compared to the Apple store. Again, totally identical and just as good as the original.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Although brobably everyone and his brother uses Non OEM Batteries including myself. Be advised if you have a problem with your device while under warranty you had best have an OEM battery in it when it goes in for service.
Most Major camera makers WILL DENIE Warranty repairs if you send it in with a Non- OEM battery Period, and have instructed authorized repair depots
to look for this.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'm a Sterlingtek user. Been using their batteries for years with no problem whatsoever.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point RRH, my camera was way out of warranty. Presumably for most people the OEM battery should last for the bulk of the warranty but it bears noting.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yep Hugh My post was more directed towards the Camcorder crowd. Prettymuch any Digital Camara should get through the waranty period on the original battery. but with camcorders its pretty much Standard practice to buy at least one Spare along with the camera, and most don't buy an OEM because of the cost. I Know I have 3 for each of my camcorders, most people will find the supplied battery only good for minimal use maybe 1hr and upgrade to a high capacity version shortly after buying the camera .

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Battery markup certainly isn't news ;)
Look at laptop batteries.
$200 for 6 18650 batteries and a charge controller circuit.
Let's see.. 6 x 18650's = $30
charge controller = $10
plastic molded Case = $5
misc = $10
Total: $50
(oh and those prices include shipping of the components)

Your camera battery would be the same, probably different cells inside, though.
Your aftermarket replacement is the true cost - canon's making $120 off of each battery sold.

Re: the chip in batteries: Personally, I'd avoid that company like the plague. If they want to control what I do with their product, I have no need for it. That's like a car company restricting you to only use some super-expensive proprietary gas (we'll call it GM-SuperPlus). Now not only do you not want to pay $10 per litre for this GM-SuperPlus, but they also have the car set to not function on regular gasoline.
Are you going to buy a GM car knowing this? Certainly not, and you'd tell your friends too.
Restricting your products like that has to be one of the worst moves ever--you're basically saying "Go buy our competitor's product". (assuming the customer is informed of this before purchase)

·
Super Moderator
56,637 Posts
When I purchased my Panasonic TZ5, I wanted a backup battery for vacations, etc. The Panasonic battery was about $80 and the knockoff was available in Toronto for less than half that. The knockoff doesn't provide as many pictures (run time only about 70%) as the original, similar experience to others here, but that's OK since it's basically a backup.
As a follow-up to post 7 of this thread, my "Lenmar" knock off battery failed after about a year - failed to hold any significant charge. I returned it to Vistek where I bought it and they replaced it since it had a 3 year warranty. We'll see if the replacement works out better.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As a follow-up to post 7 of this thread, my "Lenmar" knock off batter failed after about a year - failed to hold any significant charge. I returned it to Vistek where I bought it and they replaced it since it had a 3 year warranty. We'll see if the replacement works out better.
How do you find Vistek as a dealer? I'll be investing a sizable amount on a camera outfit in the near future and haven't decided who to deal with yet. As far as I'm concerned there are important things other than just money when making purchases such as this.

As this is about Photo equipment I placed this dealer inquiry here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts